Strats .. Opinions on the best

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
in a month or so i may be able to get a pretty high - end strat. i'm not going to explain the whole story, but basically it could be a gift from someone. don't worry about the price unless it's realllly sky rocketing. but anyways, there are so many different types of strats out there .. what do you all think are the best? any recomendations? i think i like white strats too.
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• YgoWashYgoWash Posts: 20
    This is my personal favorite:

Eric Johnson Strat

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0117702801
    This city's so filthy, like my mind in ways!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it depends. :D

I am a Strat person, I've played any new variety I could get my hands on the copies and the originals.

Essentially, they are all a little different even from guitar to guitar.

You need to find out whether you are an alder or ash guy or something more exotic even though Alder is the most ubiquitous kind of like the Mahogany Les Paul with Maple Cap.

You need to know what neck carve you like, Soft V, big C medium C etc what radius 7.25 or 9.5; 10 etc.

Then we get into frets, sizes pickups whether you want a hard tail or not etc.

Basically I know that 1959 - 1965 were the guitars built that set up most nicely for my eyes and ears. That said, I do like the newer 9.5 and 10" radius C necks and V's don't feel that great to me.

I like a big round fat clean pickup but not overpowered. Too much power can kill some of that bell like tone I like, I need just enough to take the edge off especially the bridge pup which I use A lot compared to most people. I love the S1 switching, but the blender configuration (check out lindy fralin's website) gives me that without the complicated electronics and I still get the 5 way switch in 2 and 4 so they are hum cancelled with RWRP.

John Suhr probably makes the finest "modern strat" I've ever picked up in regards to everything about it including the ingenious humcanceller he invented but I don't know if I'd spend the money to buy one. I'd have to take so long playing it in the store to make sure.

The best Stratocaster I played personally was an original 65 or so it was marked in the store, I don't know what it said in the neck pocket.

Personally I think the Custom Shop's are brilliant as are the Thin Skin nitro finished new ones and the hot rod 62 RI's as they combine some of the better new stuff with the older looks.

I don't know if an off the shelf version will ever be perfect for me unless I could have some input.

In the end I have chosen an American Vintage 62 RI which I am beginning to customize to suit me.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    The best is the one you put in your hand that feels, sounds and looks "right"

Enjoy the search, it's going to take a while.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Pacomc79 wrote:

thanks for all the info. yea, this isn't going to be some online thing anyway. it's going to take going to stores and playing numerous strats (that is if i can get one haha).
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Pacomc79 wrote:

+1. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    If you really want a great strat, don't be too hung up on the Fender brand. The Fender name became famous when it was a much much smaller company, and when the guitars were made by a handful of craftsmen making instruments that just felt right to musicians. What you are looking for is a Strat design that has that same level of attention to quality and feel that helped make the original Fender Strats famous. Fender got bought out by CBS in the late 60s, and since then they've been as much about the logo as the quality of the guitars. Obviously they still make some really good guitars, but remember, the original strats were made by a bunch of guys in a shop, and the current guitars are made all over the world and a lot of them involve mass production. If you really want a great strat, don't worry so much about the "Fender" name on the head stock. Worry about getting a strat design that's been made with the same dedication and care as the originals. If you are strat huntin'... besides Fender, you might alsow want to check out Music Man and G&L guitars. Remember, these guitars in particular can be considered true Fenders, as Leo Fender designed instruments for Music Man and actually founded G & L after he left the company that bears his name. Here are some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Fender

http://www.glguitars.com/

http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/

Personally I feel one of the best *non-vintage* Strats I've played was a music man (The albert lee with a rosewood fretboard... the body looks *slightly* different, but it exudes more strat soul than a lot of current fender strats. The silhouettes are also great if you are a fan of the humbucker in a strat variation). But that's just taste. Great guitars though.

Enjoy the quest! It's a great part of the process especially if price is not a significant limitation.

----

Oh.... and there is no Leo Fender connection here... but if you really want a killer strat... you might want to check one of these out:

http://www.pensaguitars.com/intro.htm

Stratier than a lot of contemporary strats.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    Pacomc79 wrote:

thats the truth....i've been spending time at guitar center testing out teles. after leaving one day, i was sure the american standard deluxe was the winner....a few weeks later, i thought the 52 reissue was the one.....so i am gonna have a few more "tele auditions" before i make the big purchase
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
    http://www.suhrguitars.com/aboutJS.aspx

little bit about John Suhr and his relationship with Rudy Pensa.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    what paco said ;)
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Suhr guitars kick Fenders ass any day of the week.
    John used to work in Fenders Custom Shop.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    saw an orange/red one with painted matching headstock..... no idea if it was a custom or signature, actually i'm asking if anyone knows this one?
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • search the world over for your strat! I played strats in almost every county in ireland and the one i found that was perfect for me was last month in the local music store, absolutely beautiful, only problem is changin strings is a nightmare
    search the world over for your strat! I played strats in almost every county in ireland and the one i found that was perfect for me was last month in the local music store, absolutely beautiful, only problem is changin strings is a nightmare

take the worthless back plate off the tremolo and install some locking machine heads.... easy peasy.