What effect is Mike using on Nothing As It Seems?

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
does anyone know? i love that spacey sound...i've just been playing his part with distortion and alot of delay and reverb...but there is definitely something else that gives it the outer space sound..
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think its some sorta vibe.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    I read an interview with Tchad Blake somewhere that Mike used a Ludwig Univibe extensively on Binaural. Apparently for a while there was a Univibe out there under the Ludwig name. Go figure.

EDIT.

Turns out it was the Ludwig "Phase 2 Synthesizer". I guess I just remembered it being a univibe because of the description of a box with a pedal (that plus the fact that's what it sounds like). Anyway here's a link for the interview.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/tapeop/tchad/tchad_16_1.shtml

The juicy Pearl Jam stuff comes more than half way in.
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    I would think any phaser pedal would probably work unless you want that exact sound.
    Be excellent to each other
  • Fender Blender
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Fender Blender+Univibe(I use the rotovibe), and Flange(live shows)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Yeah i believe its a Fender Blender, i owned an original one a few years ago and i don't quite understand how Mike got such a refined sound out of it as its the craziest fuzz/mud box i have ever heard.
  • I have one now that I got one from a fellow gearhead on here, Monster78, and it's a great pedal. I found the that if you turn the tone to about 8 and blend down pretty low, you can get a good sound. I think Mike has somthing going along with the Flender. I know there's a delay effect in there and since Binaural was recorded differently, that might also play into how he gets a geat sound in it.
  • This song is amazing live (definetly using the crap out of the rotosphere live too), but let me take this opportunity to say to Mike...

HOOK UP THE DAMN FLENDER LIVE - IT'S WAY TOO FUCKING COOL TO LET IT GATHER DUST.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I agree but I also must say that the rotosphere (when the bridge is ending after the "A whisper through a megaphone..." and before the quiet part preceding the final chorus), is the reason I bought a flange pedal(which gets that same sound). Stone might use the vintage Ibanez Flange to ge that sound, hell if I know
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Check that link I posted for the interview with Tchad Blake, the producer of "Binaural". I'm pretty sure the Ludwig Phase2 synth is the extra seasoning we're all trying to put our fingers on.

Here's the link again:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording...had_16_1.shtml