I know they can suck, but should i buy an epiphone les paul special for only $50?

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
should i? i know they are generally shitty sounding..but from a friend he offered his to me for $50! i mean, maybe i can jazz it up like i saw someone else on this forum do..make it look cool...or maybe i can trade it in for some other equipement at a daddys junky music store..or i can always sell it for more after i buy it and gain some cash. but i don't know...should i do it?
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Why not? Always cool to have a beater.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • epi les pauls aint' bad man. There something wrong with that particular model?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    epi les pauls aint' bad man. There something wrong with that particular model?

hmm nothing wrong, and matter of fact i shouldn't be saying this because i never actually played one. however, i have read many, many terrible reviews on these things. the reason he is selling it so cheap is because he doesn't play guitar, knows nothing about guitar, found it around his house, and figures why keep it when he can get some quick money haha.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • 50 bucks is worth it either way, but I remember hearing about one of the modelsof epi les pauls being crap.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • hell ya. why not. buy it

7/02/06 Denver
    12/02/06 Honolulu
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Do you have any other Les Pauls? If you do, I would pass... but if you don't have any other LP, it's definitely worth it.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    I'd say it depends on what $50 means to you and what your goal is. If you are * REALLY * straped, you're just starting out, and you like your current guitar / amp you could put the $50 towards a pedal which might help you cover more ground. On the other hand if you aren't broke, and you aren't majorly hurting for cash... well the chance to get a guitar for the price of a pedal would make it really really hard to go wrong.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I'd say to see if you can find it on Musicians friend.
    The thin LP special II's are kinda crappy.
    is this what you're talking about???
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Electric-Guitar?sku=518334
    $50 is a high price for a used LP special II.
    If he tries to sell it back to Guitar Center they'd probably give him like $20 or $25 for it.
    They'd probably end up selling it for like $50 or $75 (depending on the shape it's in).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫