Crazy Octave Fuzz

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
So in reading another thread it reminded me, i want some sort of a pedal to give me a sound very similar to the solo in 'i got shit'. i love that wild, uncontrolable octave fuzz. The flender would be perfect, but it is just too much money, and honestly there's not even room on my board for something that size. i also know about the big muff and have played one, along with the boss fz-5 (i think) or whatever there new fuzz pedal is, and they were both good, but not exactly what i'm looking for. big muff was great for just a smashing pumpkins or mudhoney type of fuzz, and i didn't like the boss too much. SO besides these three pedals is there some sort of octave fuzz that gives that insane sound not unlike that of the 'i got shit' solo. basically, a neil young fuzz. also, around 80 dollars or under would be beautiful. thanks..

p.s. how is the mxr blue box or danelectro french toast octave fuzz for this kind of thing?
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So in reading another thread it reminded me, i want some sort of a pedal to give me a sound very similar to the solo in 'i got shit'. i love that wild, uncontrolable octave fuzz. The flender would be perfect, but it is just too much money, and honestly there's not even room on my board for something that size. i also know about the big muff and have played one, along with the boss fz-5 (i think) or whatever there new fuzz pedal is, and they were both good, but not exactly what i'm looking for. big muff was great for just a smashing pumpkins or mudhoney type of fuzz, and i didn't like the boss too much. SO besides these three pedals is there some sort of octave fuzz that gives that insane sound not unlike that of the 'i got shit' solo. basically, a neil young fuzz. also, around 80 dollars or under would be beautiful. thanks..

p.s. how is the mxr blue box or danelectro french toast octave fuzz for this kind of thing?

To be honest, the DS-1 or SD-1 with the OC-2 (all by BOSS) combined are good. The OC-2 will get garbled up with the distortion which might be what you're looking for.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • For some reason I can't picture the tone at the moment. But if your looking for a old school octave fuzz, probably should look into fulltone. http://www.fulltone.com

here is a demo of it from you tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l90gB78Ncs&feature=related
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • i only went for a flender because i had to basically sell a kidney to get one!lol

i bought mine from he US, believe me Uk ones are twice the price of the US ones.

i would probably have gone for a Boss Super Octave and a Boss Fuzz if i hadn't have fallen in love with a flender...the boss pedals are probably more versatile but i use it in moderation along with two other overdrives

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    To be honest, the DS-1 or SD-1 with the OC-2 (all by BOSS) combined are good. The OC-2 will get garbled up with the distortion which might be what you're looking for.

bingo.

you don't want octave up, you want octave down feed into a heavy fuzz or distortion. preferably an octave that doesn't track well. the OC-2 is perfect for that. or the new OC-3.

neil uses an old 70s mutron octave divider.

i use an OC-2 to do it.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    MXR Blue Box is one. Octave divider is another

I'm about to buy an Octron with a gift certificate I got from my fiancee for Christmas.

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    durham electronics makes the crazy horse, which cops the "fender tweed deluxe turned up to the point of death" quite well. it doesn't do the octave component though.

a blue box might work ok for the octave but it's fuzz is much more synthy and gated and really not organic enough for copping NY sounds.

an OC-2 into a crazy horse would probably be the ticket. outside of just turning up a tweed deluxe.
  • If you're simply looking for a crazy fuzz, I completely forgot about Fulltone but those are pretty nice. The '69 Fulltone is well worth the investment. I don't know how it'd sound as a fuzz though.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    hmm the ds-1 combo and an actave pedalisn't a bad idea at all. see i have the whammy pedal for octave shifting but it is not at all for this type of octave thing; totally different flavor. what i've been using for a fuzz octave very surprsingly is my digitech bass synth wah. one of the settings is a super fuzzy uncontrollable octave sound. thing is, it increases your volume BIG TIME and completely sucks away all your tone, when playing with a distortion pedal in conjunction. so what i'm thinking, is selling the synth wah on ebay and in replacement getting an octave pedal around the same price.
  • hmm the ds-1 combo and an actave pedalisn't a bad idea at all. see i have the whammy pedal for octave shifting but it is not at all for this type of octave thing; totally different flavor. what i've been using for a fuzz octave very surprsingly is my digitech bass synth wah. one of the settings is a super fuzzy uncontrollable octave sound. thing is, it increases your volume BIG TIME and completely sucks away all your tone, when playing with a distortion pedal in conjunction. so what i'm thinking, is selling the synth wah on ebay and in replacement getting an octave pedal around the same price.
    The OC-3 has a fuzz/octave setting that I particularly think sounds terrible. Try your best to get the OC-2. I love it and it's so much more versatile. Also, you can use it to get the "Jeff Ament 12 string Bass" tone. If you don't have a DS-1, try the BD-2, it's a great overdrive AND can be used as a distortion. It's phenomenal even without the Keeley mod.
    The OC-3 has a fuzz/octave setting that I particularly think sounds terrible. Try your best to get the OC-2. I love it and it's so much more versatile. Also, you can use it to get the "Jeff Ament 12 string Bass" tone. If you don't have a DS-1, try the BD-2, it's a great overdrive AND can be used as a distortion. It's phenomenal even without the Keeley mod.

thanks. oc-2 works out better too, it's cheaper! and i do have the ds-1 so that will be fine. also, i made a mistake in the previous post. the digitech bass synth wah sucks out the tone and greatly DECREASES my volume. it's mainly made for bass, that is probobly why.

as a side note, the bd-2, never played one. i always was interested in the blues driver though. see, i have a ts9dx, ds1, sd2, and digitech grunge. i'm pretty set for my od/distortortions. but does the bd-2 reaaally give a necassary sound that i'm not already covering?

and one more thing, has anyone tried the axion moc-1 octave pedal? it's alot cheaper but has all great reviews, and is very similar to the oc-2 in settings.
  • thanks. oc-2 works out better too, it's cheaper! and i do have the ds-1 so that will be fine. also, i made a mistake in the previous post. the digitech bass synth wah sucks out the tone and greatly DECREASES my volume. it's mainly made for bass, that is probobly why.

as a side note, the bd-2, never played one. i always was interested in the blues driver though. see, i have a ts9dx, ds1, sd2, and digitech grunge. i'm pretty set for my od/distortortions. but does the bd-2 reaaally give a necassary sound that i'm not already covering?

and one more thing, has anyone tried the axion moc-1 octave pedal? it's alot cheaper but has all great reviews, and is very similar to the oc-2 in settings.
    Digitech's suck everything away...including your money. I have the following OD's: Flender, DS-1, DS-1(moded), SD-1(Moded), TS-5, and amp OD. I got a ton! The BD-2 might be something you could try first. It'll give a VERY SUBLTE overdrive to over the top distortion that even the DS-1 can't do. the SD-2 is the Overdrive distortion right? I used to use one but I felt it to be too weak. My SD-1 is moded to sound a lot more powerful(think PJ's TEN OD sound). Like I said, I'd try it first.
    Digitech's suck everything away...including your money. I have the following OD's: Flender, DS-1, DS-1(moded), SD-1(Moded), TS-5, and amp OD. I got a ton! The BD-2 might be something you could try first. It'll give a VERY SUBLTE overdrive to over the top distortion that even the DS-1 can't do. the SD-2 is the Overdrive distortion right? I used to use one but I felt it to be too weak. My SD-1 is moded to sound a lot more powerful(think PJ's TEN OD sound). Like I said, I'd try it first.

hmm well i'm actually very fond of the digitech grunge. despite the reviews it gets, for a heavy low end soundgarden-ish sound it is beautiful. even less feedback then the ds1 too! and the digitech whammy is sweet for obviously morello stuff and some other toying around, but yea, not too happy with the bass synth wah, and other digitech pedals i've tried. luckily i found a friend willing to by the BSW for 60 bucks. he's going to use it for his bass. with that money i'll then pic up the octave.

and the sd2 is acctually a discontinued boss pedal that i love. the dual overdrive. it has three different modes, plus tone, drive, and level options. the first mode is crunch lead, which i use in conjunction with the tube screamer for a really nice "stone sounding crunch". not too much dist, but packs a nice punch. think "rival". one other mode is for like a stronger od, much like a distortion which is pretty good, but i use my ds1 instead. the third mode is really neat. it has the crunch tone, but if you step on the pedal again it goes into that higher gain setting, and when pressed again, back to the crunchy od. great for quick transitions for songs where you have to play both guitar parts. mainly though, i use the sd2 + ts9dx for crunchy od, the ds1 + ts9dx for my typical distortion, and the grunge for bassier heavier stuff.

ooh, and also, what did it take to get your pedals modded? i don't feel feel like dishing out a lot of cash to have them done, but i cannot do them on my own. i have someone who may be able to do some for me cheap, but not too certain yet. just curious what you did.
  • Well, you're talking about Neil Young's guitar sound, right?
    This page has links to any info (in interviews and gear lists) you need to find out how he gets his tone:
    http://www.thrasherswheat.org/sound.htm

Neil's my primary inspiration when it comes to tone (and playing to an extent) and my LOW budget solution to get the crazy stuff goin' is to push a small tube amp pretty hard (I have an AC-15) and then kick in with a Big Muff (with the tone at about 1 1/2-2) and some delay. Make sure there's plenty of low-end and you'll feel what you're looking for.

I think most octave pedals paired with pedal distortion have too much separation between the low-octave and the original signal to give you that heavy-grungy sound.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • You want a fuzz pedal that gives you insane octave noise?:

http://guyatone.com/Tz2Popup.php

I have one of these. I even use it with my twelve string acoustic, when I really want to fuck people's heads up. :D