Quick Gear Help Please!

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
later on today i am being taken to sam ash to get some new pedals and such. before i go, i just need help with one thing. i have a fender hot rod deluxe tube amp and a turbo tube screamer pedal. which are great. i'm trading in my huge multi effect pedal board by boss. anyway, it seems i cant get a clear HEAVY sound. the tube screamer and amp give a nice classic rock feel which is great, especially for pearl jam. but i really want something to give me the SOUNDGARDEN badmotorfingr sound, but not eat up all my tone like nu metal bands. so PLEASEE help me out and give me suggestions for something to give me the heavy soundgarden sound. thanks
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    several different options, try out a variety of their distortion pedals they have on hand.

you can do quite well with a DS1 actually. I personally like the Pro Co Rat in conjunction with the Tubescreamer.

Try out a variety of distortions especially the Maxon 9 series as they will play well with your tube screamer.

The cheap and dirty though..... DS1
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Maxon SD9 will work as will the D&S2 also MXR distortion+

You should try all in conjunction with your Tube screamer.

The key is starting with the volume up and the gain a little lower, you want to hit the preamp tubes hard.

try any and all distortions they have.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Maxon SD9 will work as will the D&S2 also MXR distortion+

You should try all in conjunction with your Tube screamer.

The key is starting with the volume up and the gain a little lower, you want to hit the preamp tubes hard.

try any and all distortions they have.

thanks so much everyone ..

does the boss DS1 sound good in conjunction with tube screamer? and together will it give that heavier sound?
    bump
    also, if i'm going to want to start combining pedals together, am i going to need to by a board with all the cables? because right now i only have to cables which plugs me into my amp, one pedal, and my guitar. if i do need a board however, i am not going to be able to buy as many pedals. but this is still necassary right? and again, how does the ds1 sound in conjunction with the ts9?
    thanks so much everyone ..

does the boss DS1 sound good in conjunction with tube screamer? and together will it give that heavier sound?

yes yes it will. It can get mushy with the gain up high but yeah it's a lot heavier.

you don't necessarily need a board they can live on the floor. I built mine from scrap plywood and painted it black. You will need some connection cables to go between the pedals
  • Screw it! Fulltone OCD, period.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Screw it! Fulltone OCD, period.

yeah, but does Sam Ash carry fulltone?

I want to try the new GT 500.

http://fulltone.com/stpframe.html it's only 160 direct anyhow.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Remember - heavier bands like Soundgarden downtuned and doubled or tripled parts a lot.

Not to sound difficult or argumentative, but Sam Ash sucks.
    THEY WON'T COME DOWN ON PRICES LIKE GUITAR CENTER WILL.
    Sam Ash has discount buttons that take about 1% off.
    Then there's the Managers override that takes like an extra 1%.
    But that's all the discount they can and will do.
    And just because they have those measly discount buttons doesn't mean they will use them (generally they won't).
    Reason being, they see exactly how much money they personally make on each item sold (they don't at GC).
    Most of the time you can give GC a price (I'll pay this), they'll put it into the computer and give a yeah or nea.
    Just something to consider next time you're pondering which BIG STORE to make your next deal with.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, but does Sam Ash carry fulltone?

I want to try the new GT 500.

http://fulltone.com/stpframe.html it's only 160 direct anyhow.

Of course they don't, just find a dealer on ebay, and get one in two days.

GT 500 looks fantastic. To bad they don't have a sound clip or two.

The latest cool thing I've heard is the Keeley Java Booster. Nice slight fuzz to it, really cool.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Music is not a competetion.
    well, i went tonite and made my purchase! i had a 100$ giftcard, an old cube 30 amp to trade in and a boss gt-3 processor to trade in. and my aunt and uncle who happen to be rich ;) were willing to spend around 300$ [niice] for the birthday. heres what ended up happening.

i got the boss pedalboard that holds up to seven pedals [you can fit any brand, you just trim the casings to the fit of your pedals. with a wah figure it fits 6 pedals.] anyway it came with all the adaptors and cables and everything for up to 7 pedals so it was great. $140

i got the boss ds-1 distortion and THANK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH PACOMC79!!!!!! it sounds AMAZING in conjunction with my ts9 turbo and it is EXACTLY the sound i was looking for. cheap too! thanks alot! $40

i got a crybaby wah original not the 535q. i tested them both out. to me, the original was fine no need for the 535q. great. $80

for a mod pedal for now, i wanted something like a phaser because it can cover grounds of vibe and chorus/flange type of thing. idk to me, if you have the choice of one modulation pedal phase is the way to go. picked up the mxr phase 90. that thing is awesome. $68

lastly, i was dead set on the boss dd3 or dd6 for delay, but the sales guy convinced me into the line 6 echo park. WOW i tried them both, and for a price in between the dd3 and dd6 this thing is awesome. soooo many cool pre-set delay effects plus pleanty of tweaking you can do yourself. $150

that was everything i had the cash [with help form the aunt and uncle] at this time to buy. i still have a 50$ giftcard to daddys now, and some cash so soon enouigh i will pick up one more pedal which i can fit on my board. i need to decide what. ANYWAY thanks everyone you helped alot!
  • well, i went tonite and made my purchase! i had a 100$ giftcard, an old cube 30 amp to trade in and a boss gt-3 processor to trade in. and my aunt and uncle who happen to be rich ;) were willing to spend around 300$ [niice] for the birthday. heres what ended up happening.

i got the boss pedalboard that holds up to seven pedals [you can fit any brand, you just trim the casings to the fit of your pedals. with a wah figure it fits 6 pedals.] anyway it came with all the adaptors and cables and everything for up to 7 pedals so it was great. $140

i got the boss ds-1 distortion and THANK YOU SO FUCKING MUCH PACOMC79!!!!!! it sounds AMAZING in conjunction with my ts9 turbo and it is EXACTLY the sound i was looking for. cheap too! thanks alot! $40

i got a crybaby wah original not the 535q. i tested them both out. to me, the original was fine no need for the 535q. great. $80

for a mod pedal for now, i wanted something like a phaser because it can cover grounds of vibe and chorus/flange type of thing. idk to me, if you have the choice of one modulation pedal phase is the way to go. picked up the mxr phase 90. that thing is awesome. $68

lastly, i was dead set on the boss dd3 or dd6 for delay, but the sales guy convinced me into the line 6 echo park. WOW i tried them both, and for a price in between the dd3 and dd6 this thing is awesome. soooo many cool pre-set delay effects plus pleanty of tweaking you can do yourself. $150

that was everything i had the cash [with help form the aunt and uncle] at this time to buy. i still have a 50$ giftcard to daddys now, and some cash so soon enouigh i will pick up one more pedal which i can fit on my board. i need to decide what. ANYWAY thanks everyone you helped alot!

Mod's exist for that DS-1

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=10

thanks that looks really cool. but what i have for now is good.

i have a question thought for whoever is willing to help. the ts9 turbo and ds-1 together can get kind of noisy. is there any way for me to change some settings and eliminate this. i mean i have the perfect sound out of them, just sometimes i get that buzz noise..but not often..they are a bit noisy though. heres the rundown. ...

i have my ts9 turbo set on the turbo mode [first mode on the pedal], i have the drive nob 3/4 of the way up, the level nob half way up, and the tone nob 3/4 of the way up.

for the ds-1 i have the tone nob half way up, the dist nob 3/4 of the way up, and the level nob 1/4 of the way up.
    thanks that looks really cool. but what i have for now is good.

i have a question thought for whoever is willing to help. the ts9 turbo and ds-1 together can get kind of noisy. is there any way for me to change some settings and eliminate this. i mean i have the perfect sound out of them, just sometimes i get that buzz noise..but not often..they are a bit noisy though. heres the rundown. ...

i have my ts9 turbo set on the turbo mode [first mode on the pedal], i have the drive nob 3/4 of the way up, the level nob half way up, and the tone nob 3/4 of the way up.

for the ds-1 i have the tone nob half way up, the dist nob 3/4 of the way up, and the level nob 1/4 of the way up.

yeah turn up the volume on the TS9 and cut the gain on the TS9 a little until it stops being noisy. you can also try another mode, with less gain.

I typically like to run the TS styles as a boost, volume dimed, gain low or just at the edge of breakup into the distortion.

it's all trial and error, you can get a lot of different shades with that setup.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah turn up the volume on the TS9 and cut the gain on the TS9 a little until it stops being noisy. you can also try another mode, with less gain.

I typically like to run the TS styles as a boost, volume dimed, gain low or just at the edge of breakup into the distortion.

it's all trial and error, you can get a lot of different shades with that setup.

i've been playing around with it for a while and i got it perfect. thank you. now that i've been playing around for a while i got down how to get a lot of different distortion styles from the combination of these two. but i agree..i keep the tube screamer as basically a volume boost for the ds-1. i have my gain and tone about half way on the ts9. it boosts up the ds-1 beautifully and the noise is slim to none. awesome.

now that i have the ds-1, ts9, crybaby, phase 90,and echoe park [delay], i have enough money to get one more pedal.

my thoughts are that the phaser, covers flange type sounds so i dont need that. also, with the speed up it covers a lot of vibe sound. the echoe park delay, which honestly is the most amazing thing i've ever heard, is great because you can set it so it choruses as it delays or swells. so i dont technically need a chorus at this stage. echo park is honestly the greatest thing i've ever heard though, everyone should check it out. the sounds out of this thing are some craaaazy delay sounds. anyways, so now, i want to get a pedal thats very different. something thats not of anything i have, and not really a flanger, vibe, or chorus. i was thinking something along the lines of the mxr blue box. that things pretty cool. any suggestions?
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    My personal reccomendation:

If you have a little time on your hands (it being summer now) I'd say give one of these kits a try: buildyourownclone.com

Keith, the guy who runs BYOC, is really great and helpful. There's pdf instructions for all the kits and a forum for asking questions about your particular build. You can essentially build replica fuzzes, overdrives, delays, whatever you want. All the supplies are included, all you need is a soldering gun, some solder, and some patience. I'm planning to do one of these eventually when I've got some extra cash. Take a look around and listen to the sound clips if you need an idea about what each kit should sound like: buildyourownclone.com/soundclips
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1