Tuners

PickUptheLeashPickUptheLeash Posts: 58
edited October 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is there a tuner on the market that lets you use alternate tunings as well as standard? Ive looked and Im yet to see something where you can select what you want and tune accordingly. Would definatly make things easier then the old fashion way. Thanks in advance
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Here you go:
    click here: Korg GT120 . . . . or . . . . click here:Turbo Tuner ST-122
    These have pre-sets for Open Tunings/Alternate Tunings - depends how much you want to spend.

I have an older version if the Korg Tuner (Korg GT12 - older version) that does the same thing, and works fine.
    Here's what it looks like click here: Korg GT12
    Do a search, you might find one for fairly cheap.

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Any chromatic tuner will let you tune to any alternate tuning, so long as you know what notes you wnats the strings to be.
    If you don't know what notes are in the tuning you want, you are not goint to get too far with it.
    This is one of the first stimuli to learn a bit of music theory, and not just memorise patterns.

You can use teh basic power chord pattern to work out what notes are in a major chord. the root is obviously the tonic , or first note in teh scale, the "other finger" is teh 5th, which just leaves the third. The third is located on the same string as the 5th, but one fret lower than the root.

eg
    G chord power has the root on the 3rd fret, low E string, teh "other finger" is on the 5hth fret, A string, so it's a D, which leaves the third, one fret doen from G, on teh A string, ta da, a B
    So, just tune each string to one of those three notes, either up or down to the nearest note in the scale, and you have open G.
    Sometimes you have a choice. The low E string can be a D (usual) a G (Daughter), not played at all, or in the case of Keef, left off the guitar altogether. All cases still result in a G chord.
    Maybe you didn't want to know any of this shit, or know it already, but working out simple tunings like this was teh beginning of a better understanding of chord structure for me and motivated me to memorise the location of notes on the fretbaord more. ( I'm still getting there).
    Point is, you don't need a special tuner, you just need a simple chromatic tuner.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Just get a chromatic tuner. If you don't know the notes in a particular tuning, use the net to look 'em up.
  • Jooooosh wrote:
    Just get a chromatic tuner. If you don't know the notes in a particular tuning, use the net to look 'em up.
    +1

It'll save time and you'll learn something in the process...it's what helped me :)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy