My Fingers are TOO Short.

washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
playing instruments hurts and i have to practically break my fingers trying to play them because my fingers are so short. are there any kind of exercises i could do to make them more flexible and less hurty? or am i just doomed to never play the guitar?
PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• QballQball Posts: 283
    Don't believe the hype that you cant play guitar because you have small hands. Big hands help but you just have to work around your hands. I have a buddy that is 5'1 and has little hands. He is the best guitarist I have ever seen. I have never seen his hands limit him to playing anything.
  • i agree. i have smaller hands and i think it helps me navigate tight corners on the ol' fretboard.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Angus Young=little guy; plays guitar just fine. maybe the big streches aren't for you, but consider you have more dexterity in the upper frets than a guy with big thick fingers
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Having small hands makes you more apt to play lead guitar. Sometimes I wish my fingers were smaller so I could reach the upper frets a little more easily.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    alright let's get things straight, im a girl :D you all kept making me remember my dad who has smaller hands than i do! (and me and him are as tight as ed and his dad circa 1992 so you can believe the kind of evil i associate with THAT though :D)

i feel better now that everyone tells me they can play with hands like mine, i just have to get around the fact that my fingers will hurt more than others trying to play but that'll hopefully change once i get used to playing :)
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    It's going to hurt for a bit, no matter what size your hands are. But it's worth it.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Yeah, I was about 5'0 when I started playing...and I'm 5'4 now. It isn't easy to bar or to do bug stretches but practice stretching the fingers on the board and it'll get a LOT easier. I promise
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    Yeah, I was about 5'0 when I started playing...and I'm 5'4 now. It isn't easy to bar or to do bug stretches but practice stretching the fingers on the board and it'll get a LOT easier. I promise
    good i hope so :D
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    Derek Trucks plays slide because his hands are too small...May not be your thing....but it seemed to work for Derek!
  • I two have tiny hands, but you learn to get by with it. The strength will build up sooner or later. Guitar never seemed to be as big of a struggle, and bass, I just have to adjust my style to suit my hands. No big deal! Determination is what is needed.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    If you want to play guitar you'll be able to do it!
    If you have small hands, it may be a little tougher to do major five fret stretches, but you should be able to do fine! Not everyone could barre the whole damn fretboard like Jimi Hendrix, with his thumb, and play lead with his fingers. Maybe hardly anybody!

The MOST important thing is to build up your strength and flexibility gradually and to warm up before you stretch your fingers.
    "No Pain, No Gain" doesn't apply anymore! There are a lot of seasoned musicians with repetitive disorders and tendonitis and a myriad of other things that could have been prevented if they would stretch and build up to what they were doing first.
    You would do great to find a good teacher to get you started with fretboard exercises and to show you good posture while playing, and good hand and arm placement because it all goes together. It's amazing how far your fingers can stretch out, too, but you just don't want to do it all at once.

Here's some inspiration for you, too. Two amazing ladies on their guitars.
    I've met Sharon Isbin several times and she is tiny, has small hands and , well,

Just see what she can do!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8d-5gCGlYg

And on about the other end of the guitar spectrum, a couple of weeks ago we went to see the band "Boris". I'd never seen them before or heard them, but I met the guitarist before the show. Maybe 4'11" tall and tiny and she blasted her Les Paul through a major stack o' amps!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbMWSbj6zc&feature=related
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    alright let's get things straight, im a girl :D you all kept making me remember my dad who has smaller hands than i do! (and me and him are as tight as ed and his dad circa 1992 so you can believe the kind of evil i associate with THAT though :D)

i feel better now that everyone tells me they can play with hands like mine, i just have to get around the fact that my fingers will hurt more than others trying to play but that'll hopefully change once i get used to playing :)

Hello! Another girl! Yay!!
    Already lots of great advice has been given, but i'll just add that I have smallish hands too, and it's never stopped me. Keep at it!
  • I have what I would consider small hands and I tried a fender mustang in a store once. The neck felt great in my hand (Mustang necks tend to be smaller). Perhaps a guitar with a thinner neck is the way to go.
    I have what I would consider small hands and I tried a fender mustang in a store once. The neck felt great in my hand (Mustang necks tend to be smaller). Perhaps a guitar with a thinner neck is the way to go.
    I've got one (actually, it's the first guitar I learned on) and I'm letting my girlfriends brother(10 years old) borrow it to get started. It's a great neck but the pickups tend to dull out quicker than most guitars. I still love it BUT I'd consider getting a Telecoustic or Stratscoustic(I have one of these) to learn on. It's an acoustic but with a slimmer neck.
  • Django Reinhardt, one of the greatest and most innovative jazz guitarists to grace the fretboard, was missing two fingers on his fretting hand.
    Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath also lost the tips of a couple of his fingers and he uses leather adapters.
    No my friend, you are not doomed to not playing guitar at all. It may take a little work and dedication but you'll be a guitarist if you want to be.
    Django Reinhardt, one of the greatest and most innovative jazz guitarists to grace the fretboard, was missing two fingers on his fretting hand.
    Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath also lost the tips of a couple of his fingers and he uses leather adapters.
    No my friend, you are not doomed to not playing guitar at all. It may take a little work and dedication but you'll be a guitarist if you want to be.
    If Tony can play with two fingers, you're not doomed. Tony's the MAN!
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Known for his "sausage fingers", Andres Segovia.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efHwnFAkuA
    You'll be fine if ya wanna ;)
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Big hands, Small hands, doesn't matter . . . . . . .
    Anyone that wants to learn to play guitar can - it just takes time and a lot of practice.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    I have small hands and the only time I have problems is if I'm stretching over 5 frets...and even then that doesn't happen all that often.

If you are still having problems, look into getting a guitar with a smaller neck.