audio mastering program

Jeff TweedyJeff Tweedy Posts: 3
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any suggestions on a cheap and/or free mastering program?

I'm not looking for pro quality. Just ideas on how to boost the volume, etc.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    GoldWave. It does a bunch of other shit, too.
  • AliAli Posts: 2,621
    Any suggestions on a cheap and/or free mastering program?

I'm not looking for pro quality. Just ideas on how to boost the volume, etc.
    CORRECT ME IF i'M WRONG,
    BUT midi SYSTEMS?:o
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
  • AliAli Posts: 2,621
    Ali wrote:
    CORRECT ME IF i'M WRONG,
    BUT midi SYSTEMS?:o
    I just looked it up.
    There Midi,

and

audacity systems...

Peace ,love....
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Cheap when it comes to mastering is anything less than a $50k rig. I can see free recording software...some of it has even sounded ok over the years, but mastering isn't something that can be done reasonably on the cheap.

Actually, I take that back. It can, but that's why records sound like complete ass these days. The cheapest I'd go would be a TC Finalizer, and even that is ehh...
    He's not looking for pro quality, he just wants to maximise the volume. Perhaps "mastering" wasn't the best choice of words.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    biffhardon wrote:
    He's not looking for pro quality, he just wants to maximise the volume. Perhaps "mastering" wasn't the best choice of words.

Then a good stereo compressor will do the trick :)
  • letempoletempo Posts: 9
    Hey,

All u need is Steinberg Wavelab (u could use Cubase SE)

freefilter is awesome. Use it to sample your favourite audio track (Foos One By One is a favourite of mine) it lifts the master EQ and applies it to your track.

The sound difference is stunning. The overall sound is tighter and the bass and treble tends to even out.

If you think about it, bands like PJ and FF spend millions mastering. For what? to apply a master EQ / volume / compression to all the tracks on the album? freefilter "borrows" that eq curve and applies it to your track... I used it on the audio tracks for my old band: http://www.endorphin.tv/listen

Oh, and use a multiband compressor plugin to boost volume - that way you're more likely to get a more modern, even tone using one of them...as well as a volume boost.

I've mastered a few tracks - drop me a line and I could master tracks for you over the web. free.

Andy
    Borrow an EQ curve to apply to a completely different song? That is, quite seriously, the worst audio-related idea since the bagpipes.
  • letempoletempo Posts: 9
    biffhardon wrote:
    Borrow an EQ curve to apply to a completely different song? That is, quite seriously, the worst audio-related idea since the bagpipes.

Dude,

i know it sounds like a dumb idea, but you should try it. seriously. it works.

I've worked in studios for years and its a poor mans way to get really good quality masters.
  • haha...good stuff...
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key