Recommend an Acoustic Guitar.

jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking to spend about $300-$400 and just really want to get the best sound for the money.
"There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    jordn6971 wrote:
    I'm looking to spend about $300-$400 and just really want to get the best sound for the money.

In General... in that range... Epiphone Masterbuilt is a good line to check out... Look at Taylor 110's or Big Baby's which are both nice.

Generally play everything Alvarez has some good ones too.

Solid top without a doubt. Solid Back and sides if you can find it.

I'd look for a spruce top and Rosewood back and sides to begin because I like that combination, but in that range you'll find more mahogany and maple. backs and sides.

This is one of my favorites. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-AJ500M-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518101

You won't find many better made guitars than Taylor but I think all but the big baby might be a little out of your price point. Still a nice guitar, but for around the same money I think the Epi might beat the Big Baby, do play some Taylors before you make your decision though.

Ultimately, the only way to find the good ones in the low end is to play them and play a lot of them. Some will have old strings on the wall and won't sound like they should.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Seagull Acoustics are really nice, especially their lower-mid-range when considering price. This model is rather popular.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-The-Original-S6-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512120

If you're not interested in that. Click this link and scroll through and read reviews. These are all of the 6-string acoustics in the $300-$500 range starting with the "Best Selling" first (note: The Seagull I posted a link to above is the best selling guitar in that range).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/6-string-acoustic-guitars?N=100001+304293+10
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    These are ALL SOLID WOOD (no laminate) click: PARKWOOD GUITARS.
    If you chat up the employee you can usually get the price lowered a bit.
    click: Parkwood Auditorium size
    Here's a few reviews on the 320M: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Parkwood/PW320M/10/1
    click: Parkwood Dreadnought size
    Here's a few reviews on the 310M: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Parkwood/PW310M/10/1
    Here's Greg Howe talking/playing about Parkwood Guitars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AmKLob_szo
    These guitars are actually made by Cort.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    In General... in that range... Epiphone Masterbuilt is a good line to check out...
    I agree, I have one from this line as well. Very mellow sound, and lovely for the price range.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • BC Rich 200,the best acoustic ive ever played.
    Cant touch the bottom...

London 96.
    Manchester 00.
    London 07.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Art & Lutherie, Seagull, and Blueridge are my recommendations in this price range. A&L is (imo) the best acoustic guitar for the money out there.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    I'm a fan of Takamine's as well...
  • Art & Lutherie & Seagulls
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Seagulls have a good sound but the playability isn't for everyone... they have a very wide neck (it's kind of their trademark) which is similar to a classical guitar. I have a Seagull and while I do like the sound (for a $300 guitar), it's not a great fit for my hands, even with the action lowered a bit. I'd recommend trying one out first, or going with their slimmer-necked version.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    thanks for the responses. I want to get to the store to try a few out. Hopefully I will be playing a new guitar in the next month or so. A present to myself for another year of school completed.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    for that price range, I personally would go with Yamaha. they make some of the nicest sounding "cheap" guitars. especially if you don't take care of them;):D my friend has a beat up, old Yamaha that's always just lying around and never in a case, and it sounds better than some of the high end Martins I've played
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Check out Cort acoustics, absolutely fantastic value for money; I have the SFX6. It's goooooood.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    Check out Cort acoustics, absolutely fantastic value for money; I have the SFX6. It's goooooood.
    PARKWOOD is made by Cort.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    PARKWOOD is made by Cort.
    Oh yeah, I didn't notice that in your post. Cort make a lot of the lower-end Ibanez models too for anyone who didn't know.
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Today I went out and bought my guitar. After playing at the store for a few hours I decided it's worth it to spend a little extra, so I went with this Martin.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-DSR-Solid-Top-Dreadnought-Rosewood-Spruce-Acoustic-Guitar-103117933-i1171362.gc

It sounds amazing compared to the shitty old epiphone I had been playing.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    jordn6971 wrote:
    Today I went out and bought my guitar. After playing at the store for a few hours I decided it's worth it to spend a little extra, so I went with this Martin.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-D...33-i1171362.gc

Is it just me, or is that spending a LOT more?
    jordn6971 wrote:

If we'd known we could spend THAT much of your money, we would've come up with some substantially different recommendations....

In all seriousness, congrats on finding "the one". It's always great when a new instrument inspires you...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    BRAVO! I would have said exactly that, hehehe, up your range to sub-$1000! Few other's I'd recommend, but it's hard to go wrong with a Martin! You will be happy as a clam for a long, long time -- about seven years ago I bought the "cheap" Martin, a D1 (discountinued now), pretty much same guitar (mine's mahogany, you got rosewood, sweet!).

I was a lazy guitarist for a long, long time and only recently started changing my strings regularly (before, when one broke, ok swap 'em all out). I've read that 20-40 hours of play is max-life. I'm swapping them about once a month now -- Martin SP and am totally in love with the guitar more so than the first few months I had it. Can not stress how satisfying it is to play on new strings regularly!

Oh, and play it for a bit, then find a luthier to shave down the bridge saddle (most likely). Most Martins need an expert set-up to lower that action and check the intonation.

At the seven year mark, I'm considering swapping out the saddle (and nut and bridge pins) for bone. Just a little mod. Neat that your's came with Bone already!
    [sic] happens
  • frenchsfrenchs Posts: 34
    acutejam wrote:
    BRAVO! I would have said exactly that, hehehe, up your range to sub-$1000! Few other's I'd recommend, but it's hard to go wrong with a Martin! You will be happy as a clam for a long, long time -- about seven years ago I bought the "cheap" Martin, a D1 (discountinued now), pretty much same guitar (mine's mahogany, you got rosewood, sweet!).

Yeah, the guitar he picked out is a stellar deal. It's actually a special run that they used to do just for guitar center (I think some other people do carry them, but it's generally GC or Musicians Friend that has them.)

DSR = Dread, Special, Rosewood

Spruce over rosewood is my favorite combination, so you definitely got a good one. Congrats!
    frenchs wrote:
    Yeah, the guitar he picked out is a stellar deal. It's actually a special run that they used to do just for guitar center (I think some other people do carry them, but it's generally GC or Musicians Friend that has them.)

DSR = Dread, Special, Rosewood

Spruce over rosewood is my favorite combination, so you definitely got a good one. Congrats!

Wow, I don't really know much about guitars but that one just sounded and played the best to me. I wasn't even planning on buying a guitar that day, but when the guy told me no interest, no payments for 3 months.....I'm gonna go play now.