Electric Guitar Recommendations

JkingyJkingy Posts: 46
edited October 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey there,
I started to play guitar about three and a half years ago on a trusty Fender Squier Strat, I've got a great Crafter electro/acoustic and a wicked little Ukulele from Barcelona since, but really would like to get a new electric guitar. I would be really grateful for some suggestions, be they personal favourites or whatever.

Thanks for your time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SG's are light and have good feel. Les Pauls are pretty cool. They're heavier but you get a nice tone. I am falling in love with the Telecaster as of late. Another Favorite of mine is the Fender Mustang (and the Jaguar too). My Mustang has been put through some abuse though.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    the big questions:

1. what's your price range?

2. what kinds of music are you looking to play?

imo, the 2 big Gibsons (the Les Paul and SG) are the most versatile all around, but they are also plenty expensive.

I have heard good things about Schecter being well made and they're reasonably cheap. I plan on checking out the one with the EMG 81/85 in about 3 months because I've been playing a lot of metal lately and want an EMG equipped guitar with 24 frets.

I have a Fender Strat, and just me personally, I think Fenders are overpriced for the quality. yeah, Gibsons are overpriced too, but at least they're top quality. but if playing the blues is you're big thing, you can't go wrong with a Strat or Tele.

there are also probably some affordable Ibanez models that are pretty versatile for the price.
  • JkingyJkingy Posts: 46
    I guess I can spend about £300, and I tend to play quite a lot of heavyish music, like Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone age.

Thanks for your help guys.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Check out some of the Ibanez lines, like any of the S series. My first guitar was also a Strat Squier. Now I have 2 S470 Ibanez models (amongst some other guitars) and they are fantastic.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • yeah, i also started playing electric on a squire strat. i mostly use my gibson sg special now, which i modded a little bit. but they are pretty versatile. i play a broad range, from heavy metal to blues, so the sg special is a good guitar for many things. its got a fat neck. its like $600. im not sure what that is in pounds or whatever. also, jackson and schecter make really good guitars that arent outrageously priced.

im thinking of getting a hellraiser with a floyd rose and EMGS, and its like $800, but is should be worth a lot more. the neck feels like a neck-thru, but its set.

higher-end epiphones are pretty good as well.
    im awesome
    Thanks a lot guys, your input means a lot.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Jkingy wrote:
    I guess I can spend about £300, and I tend to play quite a lot of heavyish music, like Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone age.

Thanks for your help guys.

Gretsch Electromatic in Black..

http://www.bandland.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1099

and with a Bigsby:-
    http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/gretschelectromaticprojetelectricguitar-p-785.html

its a bit different from your usual Gibsons or Fenders, and if i could find the review for it from Total Guitar I'll post it.. basically it got 5 stars and when it said "what was wrong with it" they said "absolutely nothing"

i'm getting one in 2 months, having played one in a shop in Glasgow i just thought it was beautiful :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    I've always liked to look of Gretsch guitars...I might have to steal your idea there Dunkman, it looks the business.

I've found it cheaper at this site: http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g5235_pro_jet.htm?partner_id=59917 , with free shipping too.
    Jkingy wrote:
    I've always liked to look of Gretsch guitars...I might have to steal your idea there Dunkman, it looks the business.

i cant find that review buddy, but it was just an exceptional review... a great price and its a Gretsch.. they're cool as fuck and play brilliantly :)

the review is on Harmony Central and i think it averages 8.9 or something
    and on Musicians Friend its got excellent overall rating...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-Electromatic-Pro-Jet-with-Bigsby?sku=511587

i'm aching to get me one... frigging well cheap in the States as well
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Jkingy wrote:

I've found it cheaper at this site: http://www.thomann.de/gb/gretsch_g5235_pro_jet.htm?partner_id=59917 , with free shipping too.

thats a great price... i'm going for the Bigsby one i think.. not so sure yet, cos i've never played a guitar with a Bigsby but i want that Neil Young thing going on, so i think i'll do it.

good luck with whatever you choose to get :)
    Thanks for your help man, I did find a review on UltimateGuitar.com that gave it a 9.2 or something. I'm going to see if I can find one to try out methinks.