E-string feedback

JkingyJkingy Posts: 46
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey

I've got a Marshall MG50DFX guitar amp which I've had for about two years now, and recently I've noticed that whenever I try to mute the E-string the amp gives out some very noticable, dull feedback, it sounds kinda like a really shit harmonic. I have restrung the guitar since but the problem still prevails. I would be very grateful if anyone had any advice or help they could give me.

Thanks for your time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jkingy wrote:
    Hey

I've got a Marshall MG50DFX guitar amp which I've had for about two years now, and recently I've noticed that whenever I try to mute the E-string the amp gives out some very noticable, dull feedback, it sounds kinda like a really shit harmonic. I have restrung the guitar since but the problem still prevails. I would be very grateful if anyone had any advice or help they could give me.

Thanks for your time.

Which e-string? Where are you muting it? Is the string hitting the pick up?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Is the string hitting the pick up?
    +1
    My thoughts exactly - remember, your pickup is basically a big magnet - If the strings are to close to the pickup
    you'll get string pull - resulting in some strange things happening (like sounding out of tune or feedback).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • JkingyJkingy Posts: 46
    Thanks for your advice guys, (it's the low E), but I've checked and it's not hitting the pickup, I sounds more like the something happening to the speaker.

Thanks for your help again.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    how close are your strings to the fretboard?

It could be the e-string saddle or nut needs a bit of adjustment.

of course it could also be a problem in the amp or with the speaker on that specific frequency.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.