Kings of Leon's Closer - Played with the mouth?!

guitar_daveyguitar_davey Posts: 111
edited November 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey all,

I saw Kings of Leon the other night for the second time. Great show, although I'm a bit iffy on the polish of the new album.

Anyway, they opened with Closer, one of the highlights off the new album in my opinion, and I noticed Matthew was playing his guitar with his mouth. Does anybody know what it is he's doing on the track...I seem to recall reading something about it somewhere before but it eludes me now. I'm assuming he's singing into the pickups in some fashion.

Cheers,
David
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I thought he was playing with his teeth.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Found this on Sonfacts.com.

Bass player Jared Followill explained how the band got the song's unique sound in State Magazine: "That was really quickly, off the cuff. We were sitting around the studio and as far as the bassline goes, I had a bassline that me and Nathan were working together on. But as we don't use a clicktrack, it was like a repeat pedal that we couldn't get down so we thought about not even doing it. Right before we started, I clicked on an octave pedal and started playing with, had some reverb on it. All the guys liked it and it's the thing that starts off the record which most people think is a keyboard. We came in and put a lot of reverb on everything, Matthew found out his pick-up on his guitar picked up his voice so a lot of those really atmospheric sounds, that's Matthew screaming into his guitar."
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Found this on Sonfacts.com.

Bass player Jared Followill explained how the band got the song's unique sound in State Magazine: "That was really quickly, off the cuff. We were sitting around the studio and as far as the bassline goes, I had a bassline that me and Nathan were working together on. But as we don't use a clicktrack, it was like a repeat pedal that we couldn't get down so we thought about not even doing it. Right before we started, I clicked on an octave pedal and started playing with, had some reverb on it. All the guys liked it and it's the thing that starts off the record which most people think is a keyboard. We came in and put a lot of reverb on everything, Matthew found out his pick-up on his guitar picked up his voice so a lot of those really atmospheric sounds, that's Matthew screaming into his guitar."

That is cool!
  • savman wrote:
    That is cool!

Looks pretty cool live too! ;-)
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Found this on Sonfacts.com.

That's awesome. Them boys sure done grown up good from the skinny (well, 3 of them are still skinny), unsure, country looking, shoe gazers of old.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Eh... it's nothing Sonic Youth didn't do 20 years ago.

Actually, there are a few noise-oriented musicians out there who specifically look for (and collect) microphonic pickups for just this purpose.

It seems to me that some kinds of active pickups will do the same thing. I had a Yamaha bass with active HB's that would pick up my cell phone ringing in my pocket during practices...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • that song is awesome...and translates live really well...to me, it's the KOL equivilent of You Are. LOVE IT
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Thank goodness it wasn't his teeth.
    ew...
    :o

Awesome song and sets a groovy tone for the album.
    Still obsessed with it. lol
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • i'm really falling in love with the charm of this band and closer is probably the highlight of the album for me...i'm looking foward to seeing matthew do that in a few weeks time!:)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell