Stone's 'You Are' Effects

SliderSlider Posts: 2
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can someone explain to me what kind of effect Stone uses for the echoey main riff on "You Are"? Also, how is the riff played exactly? Is it just a few single notes or what?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Slider wrote:
    Can someone explain to me what kind of effect Stone uses for the echoey main riff on "You Are"? Also, how is the riff played exactly? Is it just a few single notes or what?
    Matt Cameron(who plays the guitar in the studio version) uses a drum machine to make the exact delays for Stone, I can make the same delays with my digidelay. Anyway, it's various single notes played looping over other notes. Chords are also used at times but the delayed effect gives the illusion of chords.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    They don't use a tremolo pedal or a square waveform phase or anything like that? interesting
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    guitar pumped through a drum machine. difficult to create any other way on the fly.
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    yeah very unique guitar sound & also a dead give-away during roadie setups when you hear that sound pre-show you know 'you are' is goin to be on the setlist (happenned to me twice!)
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • hmm never knew that, thanks! makes me wanna try it next recording session

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Lost_Clay wrote:
    yeah very unique guitar sound & also a dead give-away during roadie setups when you hear that sound pre-show you know 'you are' is goin to be on the setlist (happenned to me twice!)
    They did that at the Detroit show this year and I was stoked but to my dismay, they didn't play it
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy