I can't play any instruments...

AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
but I like to sing.

I used Cool Edit Pro to remove the original vocals from a track and sing in place.

I suck, but it's still fun. Any tips for vocal editing with CEP?
I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Why do you suck?

The voice is the oldes instrument in the world. You can always learn to play an instrument if you really want to :)
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    I think it's for a couple of reasons.

I'm kind of a shy guy.

I live in the basement of a 3-Story walk-up. Mind you, everyone in the building has heard me singing.

And, I'm a heavy smoker, that's probably the main thing. :(

I've been singing since I was a little kid, so I have the vocals, just can't use 'em, lol.

3 coffees and a pack a smokes every day will do it, I guess.

Ultimately I don't give a shit, I do it anyway. Everything from Tool to System of a Down, Collective Soul to Pearl Jam. :)
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I think it's for a couple of reasons.

I'm kind of a shy guy.

I live in the basement of a 3-Story walk-up. Mind you, everyone in the building has heard me singing.

And, I'm a heavy smoker, that's probably the main thing. :(

I've been singing since I was a little kid, so I have the vocals, just can't use 'em, lol.

3 coffees and a pack a smokes every day will do it, I guess.

Ultimately I don't give a shit, I do it anyway. Everything from Tool to System of a Down, Collective Soul to Pearl Jam. :)

Singing is really good for you! It releases endorphins, boosts the immune system and increases lung capacity. You should GO FOR IT!!! If you ever get brave enough, post us a sample. I'd like to hear it. :) As for Cool Edit Pro, I've spent HOURS in the last two years using it for Snd Design on several of my theatre productions. It almost sent me over the edge! But now that you've mentioned it I've realised that it's gone missing from my desktop! So gotta go look for it. I don't know if I'd be any help but fire away. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Alright, alright, I'm not yellow. ;)

Check 'em

I couldn't remove all the original vocals, just not possible without losing the whole song or too much of the mid-range.

Xavier Naidoo - Was wir alleine nicht schaffen
    I did this one tonight, with my cold, ha, I always like to sing when I have a cold. Anyway, it's originally Xavier Naidoo, #1 artist in Germany. I'm not German so I fucked up some of the words.

System of a Down - Toxicity
    This was one of my earlier recordings. I think the original speaks for it's self. Toxicity by System of a Down.

I sent this to enharmonic, I wasn't sure if posting it here was kosher. Guess I'll find out :cool:

EDIT: Fixed the top link
  • Well that was interesting. Good, not Great....Better than I could do..
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • well.....i dont want to sound harsh; but you have alot of improving to do. There are many ways to help your vocals from training, coaching, and just lots and lots of monitored practise.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    I see, I see. I told you I suck ;)

You should hear the Celine Dion I did in Falsetto, haha.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I see, I see. I told you I suck ;)

You should hear the Celine Dion I did in Falsetto, haha.

Meant to get back to you about this sooner Animus seeing as you so trustingly bared your soul.;)
    I don't think it sucked, you definately have potential, I just think you have difficulty hearing yourself while you sing. If I'm struggling with that I cup my hand over my ear a bit or put headphones on but only over one ear and find I can stay on track and in tune much better. Anyway just a tip!;)
    Thanks for sharing.:)
    Oh and I'd offer to listen to your Celine Dion impersonation but as she normally elicits screams of pain from me I really don't think I could tolerate it!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
    Jeanie wrote:
    Meant to get back to you about this sooner Animus seeing as you so trustingly bared your soul.;)
    I don't think it sucked, you definately have potential, I just think you have difficulty hearing yourself while you sing. If I'm struggling with that I cup my hand over my ear a bit or put headphones on but only over one ear and find I can stay on track and in tune much better. Anyway just a tip!;)
    Thanks for sharing.:)
    Oh and I'd offer to listen to your Celine Dion impersonation but as she normally elicits screams of pain from me I really don't think I could tolerate it!

Well, I have a bit of a dilemma living in an apartment building and being a night hawk. I normally have the headphones on with music. I adjust the levels so I can hear my voice over the music. I have a unidirectional condenser mic. Problem is when I do that, I don't actually know how loud I am. I hypothesize that in order to get a really good sound, I'd have to sing loud.
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Well, I have a bit of a dilemma living in an apartment building and being a night hawk. I normally have the headphones on with music. I adjust the levels so I can hear my voice over the music. I have a unidirectional condenser mic. Problem is when I do that, I don't actually know how loud I am. I hypothesize that in order to get a really good sound, I'd have to sing loud.

Yeah, louder is not necessarily better! You need to be able to hear yourself seperate from the backing track. You still have the headphones on both ears yes? Unless you are a snd mixing genius in a professional recording lab I doubt you'd be able to mix it so you can hear yourself properly to sing. If you want to stick with the headphones I'd go with trying to hear your own voice over the backing track by turning down the backing track a bit, not overcompensating by trying to sing too loud, and only covering one ear with the headphones. I really prefer the lo tech cupping your hand over your ear. Put out your hand like you are cupping it to scoop up water, bring your cupped hand up behind your ear and and use it to push the lobe forward a bit. You should immediately be able hear the difference in sound if you are doing it correctly. Then trying singing a note with your hand off your ear then with it on your ear. If you can hear the difference then I'd try putting the backing track on quietly in the background and sing along just focusing on the sound of your own voice. Then think about bringing in the mic. Oh and don't forget to sing from your diaphragm. Look I'm sure this whole reply is going to elicit scorn and derision from the many true musicians that scan this site but hell I don't really care. I've been paid to sing a few times and been applauded for my efforts and this has worked for me. Not very technical I know but you'll sure be able to laugh at yourself as you do it which can never be a bad thing right? Why don't you give it a try and let me know how you go? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift