Realistic Mach 5000 Speakers

AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=2316&si=speaker

These are my speakers. I guess they are about 25-30 years old now.

Anyway, sometimes I'll have company and they will say "WoW! Those are amazing speakers!" I mean, I like them, but are they really that awesome?

I would think in 30 years speaker technology would be much better. :)
I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Hey ahnimus, still with us, so much for your banning prediction, never mind, welcome from the gearheads.
    Groovy speakers. Well, you can get flash new speakers, but you are now in the land of the old shit loving, ancient design, primitive tube and 40yr old speaker design loving freaks, so I don't think anyone here will say they are outdated.
    I'm not sure when Celestion Greenbacks were first designed, but I wouldn't trade em for quids.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Hey ahnimus, still with us, so much for your banning prediction, never mind, welcome from the gearheads.
    Groovy speakers. Well, you can get flash new speakers, but you are now in the land of the old shit loving, ancient design, primitive tube and 40yr old speaker design loving freaks, so I don't think anyone here will say they are outdated.
    I'm not sure when Celestion Greenbacks were first designed, but I wouldn't trade em for quids.

Haha, shows how much I know about speaker technology.

All I know is when I crank 'em, I can't hear anything else. :)
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Haha, shows how much I know about speaker technology.

All I know is when I crank 'em, I can't hear anything else. :)

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, now ya talking !!!
    We all run tube amps, with 12" speakers, which perforate walls and scare SWAT teams, so we know what ya talking about!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, now ya talking !!!
    We all run tube amps, with 12" speakers, which perforate walls and scare SWAT teams, so we know what ya talking about!!!!!!!!!!!

What is a tube amp?

My amp is a Techniques. It better be good it cost me $400.
    Now we are talking about totally differnet animals. HiFI amps are NOTHING like guitar amps. BAsic difference, youurs are made to never distort, ours are made to distort a lot, but in a controlled way that makes all teh nice sounds that you like to hear on your hifi. I'm gonna let someone else explain more, cos I never seem to able to express this very well.
    I can say that tube amps are VERY LOUD FUCKERS !!!!
    Now we are talking about totally differnet animals. HiFI amps are NOTHING like guitar amps. BAsic difference, youurs are made to never distort, ours are made to distort a lot, but in a controlled way that makes all teh nice sounds that you like to hear on your hifi. I'm gonna let someone else explain more, cos I never seem to able to express this very well.
    I can say that tube amps are VERY LOUD FUCKERS !!!!

I see, so tube amps are powered by vaccuum tubes. Interesting....
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I see, so tube amps are powered by vaccuum tubes. Interesting....

Yeah, all amps were originally. You can still get high end tube hifi amps, but solid state is much cheaper, and most hifi is that. Lots of guitar amps are too, but teh snobbyb purists like us wouldn't touch em
  • here is mine http://bram.hoeg.nl/got/speakers/speakers_002.jpg and its hooked to a home made power amp beat that :p
    29/05/00 -Wembley
    20/04/06 - The Astoria alley crew + got to shake Ed's hand
    25/04/06 -Jools Show + got Mike's autograph
    27/08/06- 07/09/06- 09/09/06-13/09/06-17/09/06-13/06/07-18/06/07
    ...Three crooked hearts and swirls all around...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It's really kind of hilarious how I am in two different worlds loving home audio technology and guitar technology. One one pole I am trying to find a way to get lower than 0.04 Total Harmonic Distortion and on the other end I'm trying to get the thing to clip at will :D

Those are cool speakers, I love the way old loud speakers look. It simply depends on what you want them to do. I have a set of old sansui's that I put new drivers in and love them with a turntable then my dads got some Cerwin Vega's that aren't that far off either with the big paper cone woofers. I guess now the emphasis depending on speaker brand is on clarity of reproduction so they get designed with laser technology and the like to minimize distortion and provide clarity as well as taking out shrillness in the high end and diverting the lows to a dedicated subwoofer to enable the mids to shine through more clearly.

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/ here is a fun website with some tube amps.

http://www.impamp.com/ This little monster would look cool sitting inbetween those realistics.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.