Alive tone

RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have an Epi LP custom and I play it through a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT. Alive is the song that got me interested in playing the guitar (I grew up as a drummer). Anyway, I'm curious if I can get close to Stone's tone with my current setup or if I need peddles, amp upgrade, etc. Any help is appreciated. I don't really have the funds to upgrade my amp or guitar at this time...saving for a nice acoustic and a new amp will be next on my list after that (when I can play a bit better!)
Cheers!
Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    your setup isnt great or anything but you dont need to buy a new amp to get the tone of one song. you could get in the area with ur setup
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Ibanez turbo Tube Screamer or Sonic Distortion should do you well.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    You should be able to get close enough.
    It's jsut a plain JAne rock type tone, you knoe LP through MArshall type thing.
    The sound comes from the way the riff is played. The exact tone matters less than how you play it.
    Don't overdo the gain on a rock setting, and you should be in the ball park.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Rhyno wrote:
    I have an Epi LP custom and I play it through a Vox Valvetronix AD15VT. Alive is the song that got me interested in playing the guitar (I grew up as a drummer). Anyway, I'm curious if I can get close to Stone's tone with my current setup or if I need peddles, amp upgrade, etc. Any help is appreciated. I don't really have the funds to upgrade my amp or guitar at this time...saving for a nice acoustic and a new amp will be next on my list after that (when I can play a bit better!)

bridge pickup, little bit of delay, one of the marshall model settings on and that's about all you need.

it's the small speaker that's going to hold you back, if anything.