Amp recommendations

RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bought my first electric guitar...an Epiphone LP Custom Plus and am in the process of looking at amps. I was curious if anyone has any recommendations? I'd like to keep the cost below $300. I am a hobbyist and would only need a good practice amp to use in my home. However, I'd like one that's going to give me some good features and flexibility in regards to tones, etc.

Some that I've looked at...
Fender Pro Jr.
Marshall MG15DFX
Vox AD15VT
Epiphone Firefly 30 DSP

I'd love to hear what you guys/gals think...
Cheers!
Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Can you save up to get the Blues junior? Then I'd reccomend that. Tube>Solid State
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Well considering it's your first amp you may not need anything "that good".

A tube amp is the way to go, but personally if I was in your position, I would just wait it out for a tube amp, because later you will spend double or triple the amount you are willing to spend on that tube amp, and will be very happy.

My piece of advice is to stay away from the marshall MG series. I had one as my first amp, awful piece of crap. The Vox AD15VT maybe a good choice for you. If you are going to stay with the solid state area I would look at the Line 6 Spider 2 line. Not the best amps in the world but you can have tons of fun with it especially since you are a beginner with electric guitar. Stay away from the Crates.

Again if you are staying in the solid-state area, I got one more recommendation. Either the Orange Crush 15 or the Orange Crush 30. Depends on the wattage you want. I'm looking at getting a Crush 15 for myself to practice with because my amp is too loud to practice with and carry to my parents house (Traynor YCV40WR). I got to play a Crush 30 today actually, I traveled to an Orange dealer. I liked it enough to serously consider buying one, especially since the price for it was under 200$. The 15 watt version is only 120$.

Now if you go the tube route which may not be a bad idea, remember that if they say 15 watts, that 15 watts is LOUDER than a 15 watt solid state amp. The Pro Jr. is a nice choice, but if I'm thinking of the right amp (which I think I am). Your going to have to turn the volume up pretty loud to get an overdrive/distortion sound out of that amp. That volume you crank it too, will be LOUD, extremly loud. So in that case you would want to shop for a nice overdrive pedal. Since your a beginner with electric the Digitech Bad Monkey is a nice choice, it's a great pedal for the price.

---

If anyone reading this can help me with something. I'm thinking about waiting another month or so to save up for a used Rivera Clubster 25. If anyone has any experience with one, let me know. Thanks!
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I have a Roland Cube-15. 15W solid-state, has metalstack, metal, distortion, overdrive built-in, as well as a clean channel. Bass/midtone/treble knobs, and volume for each channel. For its size, it's pretty decent for $100. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. If you feel you want to spend more, feel free. I'm just saying it's good for the money. Like HailHail mentioned though, a tube amp will give you a pretty different sound altogether. Try both and see if you're more into distortion stuff (solid state often works better) or clean, warm tones (through a tube amp).
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • First amp,

Solid state peaveys
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i've not tried them but they have got some very nice reviews

most importantly they are practice amps that are valve based...

Epiphone Valve Junior at $239
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Special-Combo-?sku=480262

Epiphone Valve standard at $299
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Standard-Combo-Amplifier?sku=480259

head at $99 (check the reviews on this!!!!)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Tube-Amplifier-Head?sku=482069

for $99
    http://www.musician.com/product/Kustom-Tube-12A-Practice-Amp?sku=481230&src=HC004

i'm actually toying between the Epiphone valve and the new VOX DA5 or DA15W amps.... the wee Voxs' reviews have been amazing... especially for the inbuilt effects and it allows you to switch wattage between 5 watts/2.5W/1W and 0.5W which could be handy!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    Thanks for the feedback. What's the difference between a "solid state" and a "tube" amp?
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    since you're first starting out I vote for the little vox. They sound pretty good for the money, and they have a closed back which will focus the sound out towards you, just keep in mind it's fairly directional, you need it to face you.

It's a solid state modelling preamp and you're not in it for more than about 120 bucks.

At this point you won't fully appreciate how to use the tube amp well. Modelling amps are great for people first starting out because they help you learn about what makes a certain tone, there's a lot to play with, maintence is next to nil and you can't really screw them up by moving them around quite a bit. Many also come with tuners, which you'll need.

But generally. TRY EVERYTHING. above all HAVE FUN and take your time.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    My friend has a Roland Cube 30 which is solid state and I actually really like it :)

I would suggest that, but I'm not too sure how much they go for??
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • people seem to love these little things! I might have to give one a whirl, for a hundred bucks and a 5 year warranty I think it's worth a try.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    people seem to love these little things! I might have to give one a whirl, for a hundred bucks and a 5 year warranty I think it's worth a try.

wow, those are good reviews, perhaps I need to try it as a backup.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    wow, those are good reviews, perhaps I need to try it as a backup.
    I just got back from trying one out.

Nice! For 100 bucks you wouldn't imagine the tone this has (through a 2x12 V30 Fender Cab). Breaks up nicely around 2 oclock. Would be perfect for me for great tone but not pissing off roommates or neighbors...would also be great for studio use. From what I've read a new set of JJ's and $5 in mods make this baby sing even more.

Even stock this is the best sounding 100 bucks I've heard.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • I just got back from trying one out.

Nice! For 100 bucks you wouldn't imagine the tone this has (through a 2x12 V30 Fender Cab). Breaks up nicely around 2 oclock. Would be perfect for me for great tone but not pissing off roommates or neighbors...would also be great for studio use. From what I've read a new set of JJ's and $5 in mods make this baby sing even more.

Even stock this is the best sounding 100 bucks I've heard.

i would get it too but I just don't have the money for a cab to get for it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    you should really look at a vox valvetronix amp. they sound very good, sortof like a tube/solid, as in HYBRID. you get the best of both worlds, and they have great built-in FX they arent gonna put a huge hole in your wallot either

Check it out:
    http://www.music123.com/VOX-AD30VT-i126913.music
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    someone stop me from buying that for my son (the epiphone). baby amp!!!!

that would be a lot of fun. i should try one out to see if i like it's EQ.
    I'm probably going to get one. I need a backup, plus, it'd give me an excuse to get a cabinet with some kind of alnico speaker in it.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    buy me one too. :D
    exhausted wrote:
    buy me one too. :D

I'll trade in a tube screamer for it and get you one, with the money I save I'll have a red maple leaf stitched into the top for you. :D

Running these in stereo could be fun.