Compression Sustainer...Any Good?

RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I was reviewing my Guitar Legends Pearl Jam magazine today and noticed, in a picture of Stone's peddleboard, that he had a CS-3 Compression Sustainer (right next to his "Gossard Groove" wah? volume? peddle back in '92). I know he uses a Keeley Compressor nowadays, but I am curious if any of you use the CS-3 and if so would you recommend it or should I save?

I am not a performer, just an amateur guitar player who plays for the pure enjoyment! However, having a decent sound is an important aspect of how much I enjoy my playing. ;-)

My setup is an Epi LP Custom and I play it through a Hot Rod Deluxe w/ a Celestian Vintage 30.

I don't have any peddles yet, but am planning to start. I haven't played the CS-3 yet. So, I need to do that.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post.
Cheers!
Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Rhyno wrote:
    I was reviewing my Guitar Legends Pearl Jam magazine today and noticed, in a picture of Stone's peddleboard, that he had a CS-3 Compression Sustainer (right next to his "Gossard Groove" wah? volume? peddle back in '92). I know he uses a Keeley Compressor nowadays, but I am curious if any of you use the CS-3 and if so would you recommend it or should I save?

I am not a performer, just an amateur guitar player who plays for the pure enjoyment! However, having a decent sound is an important aspect of how much I enjoy my playing. ;-)

My setup is an Epi LP Custom and I play it through a Hot Rod Deluxe w/ a Celestian Vintage 30.

I don't have any peddles yet, but am planning to start. I haven't played the CS-3 yet. So, I need to do that.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post.

I wouldn't start with a compressor. Get a wah, an overdrive, and then maybe a compressor.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Do you really understand what a compressor does - you might want to research it more???
    I have a CS-3 on my board, and I like it fairly well, but I'll be getting the Keeley version soon.
    Understand that most compressors are noisy by nature, and they can make a relatively quite signal
    noisy as hell (especially if you're playing by yourself - a band can help cover up the noise it generates).
    Also remember that tube amps (like your Hot Rod Deluxe) actually give you some natural compression.
    If you're playing for self enjoyment I don't think a compressor is where you'll want to start (pedal-wise).
    I'd suggest you research more, and even more-so try one out in a quiet room with an amp before you buy.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I use a Boss C/S very sparingly, but it can be a nice adition to my tone if used appropriately. Just remember; a compressor will limit your expressiveness (sometimes bad)...but it will also limit volume outliers (sometimes good). I love using it for funk riffs, and sometimes as an additional boost for soloing.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)