Acoustic String Recommendations

RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
What do you play and like the most on your acoustic?
Cheers!
Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Elixir Custom Light (.011-.052) - Polyweb ( I like the thicker coating for recording - far less string talk).
    These are the BEST acoustic strings I've ever used (much better then John Pearse, Martin, D'Addario, you name it).
    I had an endorsement with Elixir for a while; I still buy them now, even without the endorsement (except now I
    change them every 7 to 10 days instead of every 2 days).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Thomastik Plectrum Light 10-41
    This was all I used for 20 yr. I rarely play acoustic now, so it has Elixirs on so they don't rust, but teh tone is nothing compared to teh Thomastiks.

Nothing , I say !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    martin phospher bronze 11-48
    best sound, though they dont last as long as i wish
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Elixir Custom Light (.011-.052) - Polyweb ( I like the thicker coating for recording - far less string talk).
    These are the BEST acoustic strings I've ever used (much better then John Pearse, Martin, D'Addario, you name it).
    I had an endorsement with Elixir for a while; I still buy them now, even without the endorsement (except now I
    change them every 7 to 10 days instead of every 2 days).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

agree. they are more expensive, but last longer. i can't always afford good strings or changing strings as often as i should. martins are ok, i like d'addario(which i can not pronounce) better. it's a personal decision based on what feel you like and what tone suits you. try a few brands before you settle.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I've been using Elixir Light Polyweb strings (12's) or late and I love 'em!

I've used pretty much everything else at some point or another and Elixir are my favorite.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Just to fire up a whole new storm, what type of Electric strings do you all like? I've recently been trying different DR's and i like so far.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Just to fire up a whole new storm, what type of Electric strings do you all like? I've recently been trying different DR's and i like so far.

Gibson Brite Wires 10-46 on everything. I tried the Vintage re-issues on my Gretsch, thinking I might get a nice warm tone, but they just sounded old and dead.
    I used to use D'addario XL's, which are very good, but teh gibbo's are better for me.
    Music is not a competetion.
    To answer your electric string question:
    For the past 5 years my favorite electric strings are DR Pure Blues 10-46.
    Here's why - PURE NICKEL WOUND & ROUND CORE.
    The Nickel wound is obvious (because lasts longer and has better tone).
    With pure nickel wound strings I really only need to change my strings once a week - unless I'm recording or touring, then it's every day).
    The Round Core means they can be wrapped tighter (more wrap on the core = better tone), thus for me easier bends and a tighter quicker response.

I've used everything under the sun.
    I suggest you try a bunch of strings and see what you like best.
    I've used D'Addario (for ledhed43 pronounced "Dee A Dare eee owww"), Gibson and Fender (Original 150's) Nickel Wound , GHS [many kinds, Eric Johnson, Nickel Rockers, ect], and Thomastiks Nickel Wound. AGAIN, all of these are pure nickel wound - for obvious reasons.

The only string I can definitely say to stay away from is ERNIE BALL - these are the most awful strings - now I know a lot of people out there use 'em (I really feel sorry for these people because they don't know what they're missing, there are better strings on the market). I think they must be using them because Ernie Ball strings have been around forever, they are relatively inexpensive, and EB handss out endorsements like nobody's business (although everyone I know that has the EB endorsement actually uses other strings when they record - funny - most of the people listed as using EB's in the Ernie Ball ad's actually don't use them much).
    No wait, I take this all back - Ernie Ball's are good for giving prison house tattoos - enough said.

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I agree with Ian on the Pure Blues, I got some great sound out of them when I had them on. Only problem was that I wound up severing the nickel winding of the D string on my third and fifth frets I think, so that the winding was kind of cut in two places and free to move/spring on the core. Had to change strings after that. They lasted several months with no issues till then. Only thing is they're 5.69 a pack, so I'm gonna try some GHS Boomers next time I restring and see how those work.

Far as acoustic strings, I couldn't really say, I've had a set of Martin strings on mine for WAY too long (read 10 months) and they sound crappy, I just haven't gotten around to changing them.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Hey Novawind . . .
    That's strange - are you sure you didn't leave them on for like 6+ months??? :)
    I've only heard of that happening to really old strings.
    I guess I change them far tooo often to have that happen to me - soo wild!!!
    Yeah, as long as you get pure nickel wound you should be fine.
    Currently, I use D'Addario's when I can't get the 10-guage Pure Blues (there are actually areas of the country where I can't get 'em.
    Some places have never even heard of DR (sooo funny)
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Martin SP 80/20 Bronze

And to you Exlir fans, be careful, that coating on the strings? It comes off and can imbed itself into your fret board. Several of the guys I work with have seen that happen. Yes I work musical instument sales.

So just make sure you clean your fret boards good when you change the strings.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I think the strings were maybe 4-5 months old so they were about due for a change.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I've used Elixir Lights forever, Occasionally I do use DR phosphor bronze.

look up Snake Oil Brand strings as well, Dean has written some great articles and has some outstanding pure nickle varieties for both electric and acoustic.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    I use Elixir Light 12 - 53 (polyweb)
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I started using D'Addario EXP Lights, and I like them a lot better than the Martins I had on my guitar before. I would try Elixirs, but they're far too expensive.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win