Gibson Hummingbird Artist Acoustic

RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Hummingbrid-Artist-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512104

I saw this guitar the other day on musiciansfriend.com and went looking for it at a couple of guitar shops, but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm curious if any of you've seen it or had a chance to play it? I'm in the market for a new acoustic, but am in no rush. I've played and like the sound, etc. of the Martin D-28, Gibson Advanced Jumbo and the Gibson Acoustic Songwriter Deluxe. To me the Gibson's seem to have the most balanced sound (versus Martin's or Taylors).
Cheers!
Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I don't have one of theese, but in general I love Gibson acoustics. I have tried a Hummingbird, with a maple top. I prefer a spruce top, found the maple a littlke mellow. It is a personal taste thing, of course. Everyine strings with coated strings these days too, which last, but I prefer uncoated 10's, so whenever I try a ghuitar with coated 11's, it never feels or sounds right to me.
    I have seen some divine looking Gibson custom shop acoustics, but being so individual, I would not buy sight unseen. Electric yes, acoustic, no !
    Music is not a competetion.
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    Initially I really liked the Gibson Advanced Jumbo, but when I played it after playing the Acoustic Songwriter Deluxe, it sounded muffled to me. I suppose that's probably because it had coated strings on it? If that was the case, I agree about coated strings. I don't like that muffled sound. I think I am going to go on a hunt to find and play the Hummingbird Artist Acoustic.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I've played the Songwriter at GC before and LOVED it. Best acoustic I've ever played, although I haven't played too many. Not sure about the Hummingbird, but I'd love to try one.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I have played a Songwriter deluxe. I like the cutaway and the pup.
    It had coated strings, 11's. I liked it, nice spruce top, and I could feel how it would come alive with Thomastik strings, which are my eternal favourites.
    You are doing the right thing, taking your time, and playing the guitars.
    I like a real open acoustic sound that really sings, and hums. I might put new strings on my old Ibanez soon and see if I can capture that.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Any of you have input about Mahogany versus Rosewood for the back and sides of an acoustic guitar? What are the differences? The guitars I've been looking at for the most part have sitka spruce top with either rosewood or mahogany back and sides.

Also, my current acoustic is a pretty basic fender starter guitar that's a dreadnought. I like to play rock mostly, but also like to do some fingerpicking...jack johnson, matt costa, my morning jacket, etc. What's the best shape to get...dreadnought, grand auditorium, etc. I was looking at the Taylor GA series as well (have yet to play one though).
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

• Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    Rhyno wrote:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Hummingbrid-Artist-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512104

I saw this guitar the other day on musiciansfriend.com and went looking for it at a couple of guitar shops, but couldn't find it anywhere. I'm curious if any of you've seen it or had a chance to play it? I'm in the market for a new acoustic, but am in no rush. I've played and like the sound, etc. of the Martin D-28, Gibson Advanced Jumbo and the Gibson Acoustic Songwriter Deluxe. To me the Gibson's seem to have the most balanced sound (versus Martin's or Taylors).
    I played on a hummingbird a couple of weeks ago, id sell my girlfriend for one.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Rhyno wrote:
    Any of you have input about Mahogany versus Rosewood for the back and sides of an acoustic guitar? What are the differences? The guitars I've been looking at for the most part have sitka spruce top with either rosewood or mahogany back and sides.

Also, my current acoustic is a pretty basic fender starter guitar that's a dreadnought. I like to play rock mostly, but also like to do some fingerpicking...jack johnson, matt costa, my morning jacket, etc. What's the best shape to get...dreadnought, grand auditorium, etc. I was looking at the Taylor GA series as well (have yet to play one though).

Mahogany is warm and more midrangey I'd say.

Rosewood has a lot more low end.

I personally like the sound of dreadnoughts especially for fingerpicking and I would get something that is not acoustic electric, or at least sans on board preamp. The reason is that mass and that box up there do tend to kill resonance and piezo pickups don't really sound all that good anyway.

I would not buy without playing it first, but that hummingbird could definately be a winner.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Rhyno wrote:

You can get too hung up on the rosewood versus mahogany debate. I've played a few of each and they all sound different. The wood that you use for the sides and the back of your acoustic is only a part of the overall tone. Tons of other stuff you need to think about as well, like the bracing, what's the finish like, the size and depth (although i think rosewood looks better on smaller guitars), the top..You need to play a few and make up your mind that way. Every one you play WILL sound different. Personal choice. See what feels right/sounds good to you.

And that Hummingbird looks a treat. Definitely try before you buy though.
    Thanks for your input...

WE is always better than ME! :-)
    Cheers!
    Rhyno