Taking apart a guitar

BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
My buddy was given this old old acoustic guitar for his birthday a few years back. He stopped playing guitar and gave it to me because I still do. I want to take it apart because it is in bad shape and I figure now would be a good time to learn all the parts of a guitar and how to take it all apart. Does anyone know a good website that could show me how its done?
Shows:
San Diego 2003
Grand Rapids 2004
Grand Rapids 2006
Detroit 2006
Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Don't think there's really much you can do for acoustic.. its all one big piece of wood glued together.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Is it in REALLY bad shape? Like you want to take the top off, and see inside?
    Or more taking off the tuners and saddle and nut and such and fixing it.

Any of that is possible,,,, I don't know of any websites off hand,,, but I'll look, and there are some good videos and books out there, too.
    I know how to do most of that stuff, beu I never looked on the internet to see pics, or if the pics are right. I learned from taking things apart, though, so Cheers to you for doing that! :cool:
    After I got really interested, I went to a bunch of classes with a guy, Dan Erlewine, who has some great cooks and videos out now.

Let me know what you want to do, and maybe I can help. We got Sennin's guitar going via internet message board, so far!

I'm thinking of taking a lot of pictures of fixing guitars to do a kind of "Guerilla on the road / quick and dirty guitar repair" guide.

I'm actually going to steam off the back of a 1930's Gibson acoustic and fix it,,,, maybe tomorrow, since we're supposed to have monsoon nor'easter crazy weather,,,I'll be inside anyway.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart