Probably getting a Gibson soon!

rigneyclanrigneyclan Posts: 289
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Yep. Either tomorrow or Monday at the Guitar Center as a birthday present.

It's going to be one of these:

Gibson SG P-90 Classic: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_sg_classic_electric_guitar_with_p90_pickups?full_sku=101393338

Gibson Les Paul Faded Double Cutaway:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_les_paul_faded_double_cutaway_electric_guitar?full_sku=517512%2e113

Gibson Explorer:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_explorer_electric_guitar?full_sku=100082501

I played all three today and they'll hopefully still be there tomorrow...I'm really excited :D
7/16/06 7/18/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You cheeky bastard.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Congrats, I want one of those, but that guitar is I think $2500 here, a lot of bananas.
    I know I go on about prices here, but it is because I am so BLOODY JEALOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'd go for the SG standard if you really wanted an SG, that's just me though. Still, lucky bastard! I wouldn't complain about getting any of those.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Man, I wish I could get a Gibson...they're heavy as hell though but they'd be great studio guitars.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Novawind wrote:
    I'd go for the SG standard if you really wanted an SG, that's just me though. Still, lucky bastard! I wouldn't complain about getting any of those.

i'm an SG freak as well... but to be honest the Explorer actually made me burp up that acidy stuff... i hate that style of guitar!! :o
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    Man, I wish I could get a Gibson...they're heavy as hell though but they'd be great studio guitars.

You need to look at the BFG, they are chambered so are quite light, plus much cheaper than any otheres, but sound g4eat. Don't let the ugly red pics put you off, the black ones are very cool. See my pic on my gear sharing thread.
    Still a real USA Gibson in a hard case. The P90 neck pup is seriously horn !!
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    buuy the sg classic! those things are fucking awsome!
    oh, and when you get it, make sure you top wrap it
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • If you get it on Monday I believe they are offering interest-free financing for a year if you have/get their credit card. That's what I did when I bought by Gibson, helped out a lot :D
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • I really want a 335. I played one at a little guitar shop in PA this morning and fell in love immediately.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I played an SG classic through a Fender Deluxe last time I was at GC and it sounded great. The neck was kind of sticky, though, but I'm sure that's just a problem with the particular one I tried.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • You need to look at the BFG, they are chambered so are quite light, plus much cheaper than any otheres, but sound g4eat. Don't let the ugly red pics put you off, the black ones are very cool. See my pic on my gear sharing thread.
    Still a real USA Gibson in a hard case. The P90 neck pup is seriously horn !!
    I think I just fell in love with that guitar! How much do you think they run?
  • I think I just fell in love with that guitar! How much do you think they run?

$1000 or so. $969.99 on musiciansfriend
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    I think I just fell in love with that guitar! How much do you think they run?

A few people have said on the Les PAul forum that the quality varies a lot. I think this is probably true, so If you get one, check it out in person and be prepared ot have a look at a few til you find one you are happy with. They pretty much all have borer holes in teh fretboard.
    BTW teh killswitch is PERFECT for RATM type shit.

HAve alook here...

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124710
  • I'm gonna have to save up so big money for that one. I'm gonna check out guitar center and see how it plays.
  • Novawind wrote:

respectfully disagree...get the P90s. add some fralin or lollar pups. tone heaven.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
    I'm gonna have to save up so big money for that one. I'm gonna check out guitar center and see how it plays.

Cheers, let us know how it goes. The neck pup is a great blues/PJ type thing. Set a tube amp up just before break-up and you will get all the great sounds and get it to break up nicely. Itg sounds good on a lead channel as well. November Rain solo sounds so sweet through that.
    The bridge sounds good on a crunch or distorted setting, and the 2 together have a great voice.
  • I got the Les Paul Double Cut: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/rigneyclan/IMG_1202.jpg

I was hoping to get the SG but didn't get as much as I thought I would for the Ibanez I traded in.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
    rigneyclan wrote:
    I got the Les Paul Double Cut: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/rigneyclan/IMG_1202.jpg

I was hoping to get the SG but didn't get as much as I thought I would for the Ibanez I traded in.

Sweet, I think that is a classier guitar than the SG.
    LOve the TV yellow. Hey, what does the TV stand for anyway ??
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Do yourself a favor when finances permit. Get a set of RWRP P-90's and drop them in so you can actually use that guitar in a live situation without pulling all of the RF and 60 cycle hum in the room.

I love P-90's...LOVE them...but they can be virtually useless in live applications without some planning.
  • Sweet, I think that is a classier guitar than the SG.
    LOve the TV yellow. Hey, what does the TV stand for anyway ??

TV stands for television, lol. TV Yellow was developed in the 1950s to solve the problem of the color white, under the glare of bright television lights, overpowering the black and white television cameras.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Do yourself a favor when finances permit. Get a set of RWRP P-90's and drop them in so you can actually use that guitar in a live situation without pulling all of the RF and 60 cycle hum in the room.

I love P-90's...LOVE them...but they can be virtually useless in live applications without some planning.

Thanks for the advice :)

What pickup companies make RWRP P-90's?
    7/16/06 7/18/06
    rigneyclan wrote:
    TV stands for television, lol. TV Yellow was developed in the 1950s to solve the problem of the color white, under the glare of bright television lights, overpowering the black and white television cameras.

There you go, ask and ye shall receive an answer. I thought televsion, but didn't know how that related to the colour. MAkes sense now, thanks mate !!
  • Wow, I didn't know that TV yellow trivia. It'll take a while before I get the guitar let alone before P90's. I have a Gibson humbucker but I dont know what kind it is. My friend (who moved) gave it to me in a custom made guitar. How do I find out what it is?? Also, what's the big deal about P-90's? FINALLY, I'm a little nervous about getting that GIbson without a pickguard. I play REALLY hard and I don't wanna scratch the nice top, and ideas on how I can limit the scratching?
    Wow, I didn't know that TV yellow trivia. It'll take a while before I get the guitar let alone before P90's. I have a Gibson humbucker but I dont know what kind it is. My friend (who moved) gave it to me in a custom made guitar. How do I find out what it is?? Also, what's the big deal about P-90's? FINALLY, I'm a little nervous about getting that GIbson without a pickguard. I play REALLY hard and I don't wanna scratch the nice top, and ideas on how I can limit the scratching?

OK, great thing about BFG's, THEY DON"T HAVE A NICE TOP !!
    Go to teh Gibson web-site, and take teh virtual factory tour. It's a great education on how to build a quality guitar, and you can see why theyr are so expensive. You will also see why teh BFG is cheap, cos most of the expensive sgteps are just not done.
    BFG has a brief sand on the top after the auto carving machine has finished, no binding, no nice shiny lacquer, no pick-up rings, nothing nice at all, just skanky unfinished timber. You can't hurt it, that is part of the beauty of it.
    P90 is the Gibson singel coil, still teh same design after all these years, typical in that they hum like a bitch, but just have a distinctive sound, not better, just different.
    HUmbuckers were inveneted to overcome the hum, P100's are stacked singles, much like the Fender noiseless jobbies, which supposedly give singel tome wihtout teh hum but lotsa people say teh tone ain't teh same.
    Go to some shops and start picking teh brains of every sales guy, they will all say something different. Eventaully it will start to make some sense.
  • Oh man, I wish Gibson was still here in Kalamazoo...

Thanks for the help!
    Oh man, I wish Gibson was still here in Kalamazoo...

Thanks for the help!

I'm still convinced that Kalamazoo is a joke name, like Biggus Dikkus, or Incontinentia Buttocks !!
  • YES! There really is a Kalamazoo!!!(I always wondered when I could finally say that...)

http://www.kalamazoomi.com/
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Also, what's the big deal about P-90's?

Tone man, its all about the tone. Its a bigger single coil pickup than you'd find in a strat, but smaller than a humbucker. But again, single coil. The tones it can produce are pretty sick. I have an LP Jr. double cut with the single p-90 in the bridge, and its awesome!
  • Hey Lucy, since you got to ask a trivia question, I'm going to ask you one. To satisfy my curiosity, what does BFG stand for?
    Hey Lucy, since you got to ask a trivia question, I'm going to ask you one. To satisfy my curiosity, what does BFG stand for?
    Ahh, that is one of the mysteries. I have a joke running on the les paul forum to rile the haters, where all the BFG lovers come up with silly answers to that question

Offers so far are........

Barely Finished Guitar
    Badass F******* Guitar
    Big Fraggin' Gun....from Quake, mosy opinions think Gibson marketting have hijacked that
    Big Furry Green..........
    Butt Fugly Guitar, that's my fav
    and so on, there's a few more I can't remember.