Good Starter Acousitc Guitar?

adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know I'm getting into this late in the game but I'm interested in trying to learn how to play guitar. I'm 25 years old and decided that I want to learn. My question is, what is a good place to get an inexpensive acoustic to learn on. I don't need anything top-notch or fancy. Also, can you recommend some teach yourself books or DVDs? Any input will be appreciated. I saw that Esteban guy on an infomercial and his stuff seems cheap. Is it any good.

EDIT: I've read a lot of shit about the Esteban guitar being crap so I'm gonna steer clear of that.
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.

Comments

• well, there are piles of good guitars out there for a few hundred. Bring a friend who plays, or just listen to the sales dude...if you go to an actual music shop. They are generally pretty good, and realise that you are new, and if you get decent gear off them, at a good price, and you get into it that many of your upgrades will go their way.

As for learning...invest in lessons. It's worth every penny. Ask around and get somebody decent. It is very hard to teach yourself from scratch, but if you get 8 or so lessons, it is a great start. They will help you structure future lessons, and ensure good fingering. I taught myself, and did okay, then took lessons, and realized I had to totally change my style. That sucked...it was like starting all over.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm really not looking to spend over a couple hundred dollars. I'll definitely look into lessons. Any idea how much 8-10 lessons would cost me?
    adam42381 wrote:
    I'm really not looking to spend over a couple hundred dollars. I'll definitely look into lessons. Any idea how much 8-10 lessons would cost me?

I pay $20 for a half hour. The guy is great. I can't stress enough getting someone to teach you, otherwise you'll never know if what you're doing is right or wrong. I know a lot of guys on here are self taught, but if I never started taking lessons, my acoustic would still be collecting dust.
  • moster78 wrote:
    I pay $20 for a half hour. The guy is great. I can't stress enough getting someone to teach you, otherwise you'll never know if what you're doing is right or wrong. I know a lot of guys on here are self taught, but if I never started taking lessons, my acoustic would still be collecting dust.

Well said....also, many who teach themselves guitar have played music before, and are familiar with tones and reading music.

that price sounds about right

I would say 30-50/hr
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Everytime I get a chance to recommend a guitar I say Art & Lutherir, that's the acoustic I have and I love it!! I played the Gibsons and the Taylor's in the store and I liked this one better, and it only cost me $240 CDN....$275 with taxes.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/

I tell people all the time how much I love mine, although I'm not sure if they have them in Florida because it is a Canadian company.

Mine's this color, but there's many more :)

http://www.musicarius.com/catalog/images/A&LSunrise.jpg

I thought it was very unique and it played like a dream.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Art & Lutherie (spelling?), is the best bang for your buck accoustics I know of. Domestically made, sound great and are fairly cheap. :)
  • adam42381 wrote:
    I know I'm getting into this late in the game but I'm interested in trying to learn how to play guitar. I'm 25 years old and decided that I want to learn. My question is, what is a good place to get an inexpensive acoustic to learn on. I don't need anything top-notch or fancy. Also, can you recommend some teach yourself books or DVDs? Any input will be appreciated. I saw that Esteban guy on an infomercial and his stuff seems cheap. Is it any good.

EDIT: I've read a lot of shit about the Esteban guitar being crap so I'm gonna steer clear of that.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=511192

i own this guy and blew me away how great it sounds, its a great starter
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not - ?~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same -?~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I learned on a cheap Fender. It was decent guitar for the price.
    I'm self taught and would highly recommend lessons.
  • I can't really recommend any guitar, I think personal feel has ALOT to do with it - even if you can't play just go and hold a few, see what feels comfortable - different sizes or different parts can make a difference. I also recommend lessons. I taught myself but already had a fairly strong background in piano and voice theory - starting "from scratch" I'd go with lessons - good luck!

*different sizes OF different parts - fret boards, body, etc...
    walk the bridges before you burn them down...
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I've been playing guitar for 12 years now, far from a beginner, and I can't say enough good things about the Art & Lutherie guitars. They are unfathomably affordable, and the worksmanship and quality is far above any of the sub-$1000 guitars out there. I personally owned an A&L Ami, and it was a dream. If you want to get a cheap beginner's guitar, get an Art & Lutherie. Hands down, no contest.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/intro.htm
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Washburns are great guitars. I started off with an Encore but i didnt really like it much so i hardly ever played it. Now i have a Washburn EA-18, may be a bit too much money for you right now but one of their lower costing guitars is a best seller. I cant remember what model number it was though, sorry.

On a side note.... lessons are fucking expensive these days!!

When i got lessons 7 or 8 years ago it was £5 ($8?) for an hour.
  • Everytime I get a chance to recommend a guitar I say Art & Lutherir, that's the acoustic I have and I love it!! I played the Gibsons and the Taylor's in the store and I liked this one better, and it only cost me $240 CDN....$275 with taxes.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/

I tell people all the time how much I love mine, although I'm not sure if they have them in Florida because it is a Canadian company.

Mine's this color, but there's many more :)

http://www.musicarius.com/catalog/images/A&LSunrise.jpg

I thought it was very unique and it played like a dream.

art and lutherie rock! definatley worth the investment... im still waiting for my new one to come thru customs! its taking ages, gettin very anxious!!!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • nside20nside20 Posts: 29
    I've had a Norman B-15 for 15+ years and I wouldn't part with it for the world. I would also look at Seagull guitars.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    nside20 wrote:
    I've had a Norman B-15 for 15+ years and I wouldn't part with it for the world. I would also look at Seagull guitars.

My roommate plays a Seagull acoustic and he loves it. I've playing it a couple of times and it is a really nice guitar. Not sure on the price though.
    Ok, over a year has passed and I'm finally going to purchase the guitar that I mentioned way back when. We have moved a couple times since then and our financial situation hasn't afforded me the opportunity until now. That being said, what do you guys think about this package deal? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Acoustic-Player-Pack-with-Gig-Bag?sku=512453

It seems decent for the price. Any thoughts?
    I would definitely play it or get someone to.

And take lessons!
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I definitley agree on the Art and Lutherie. It's the acoustic I use. It is A TON of guitar for the money.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    another satisfied Art and Lutherie user here.
    Anybody know where I can get an Art and Lutherie down here in North Carolina? If they are that good, I might just order one online...

EDIT: Just looked up their website and there are dealers in NC but none in my area.
    I don't have any recommendations for which particular guitar to get, but I would recommend that once you get the guitar... spend a few bucks on getting it setup for your playing style. This is one of the things I like about dealing with smaller shops.. they usually do this sort of thing for free when you buy from them.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I agree on teh Art & Lutherie.

I also reccoment getting a nice instrument to start on.

I bought a reasonably expensive Ibanez acoustic when I first started, and it was always such a pleasure to play.
    Nice action, beautiful finish, beautiful tone. I still have never heard another acoustic that makes it sound ordinary. Maybe I have heard some slightly better ones, but nothing that it could not keep company with.
    Becaiuse it was a pleasure to play, I never put it down, and it was so easy to coax beautifl music from it.
    28 years later, I still have it.

Lessons are expensive, cos it's expert human labour, no gettign around that. They are also very worthwhile, just make sure you are taught to play music as well as theory and scales.
    I have a firend whose teacher is a purist,that after 2 yrs has not eben got him using a pick on electric or acoustic.

He feels that he will be awesome in the long run, but in the short term, my friend is missing the chance to have a lot of fun playing as well as learning.

I hate purists, they take the fun out of everything !!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    adam42381 wrote:
    Ok, over a year has passed and I'm finally going to purchase the guitar that I mentioned way back when. We have moved a couple times since then and our financial situation hasn't afforded me the opportunity until now. That being said, what do you guys think about this package deal? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Acoustic-Player-Pack-with-Gig-Bag?sku=512453

It seems decent for the price. Any thoughts?

You get what you pay for. The most valuable thing in that pack is the tuneer. It should be a flogging crime to sell a guitar to a learner without a tuner !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    The Washburn D10s is the best value starter guitar on the market, I don't care what anyone says.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    biffhardon wrote:
    The Washburn D10s is the best value starter guitar on the market, I don't care what anyone says.
    GREAT guitars as well!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • svanzonsvanzon Posts: 28
    Especially in the case of acoustic guitars (but also electrics) choice is very personal in my experience.. I know it sounds cliche but go to your local shop and play a bunch of guitars! (thats the easiest way to get a bargain as well). Plus, I wouldn't buy online either. So shop shop shop!

To give some realy advice, Washburns are great, that's true.. And so are Garrisson Guitars.

Thats US though. In Europe theres a whole range of eastern european acoustic guitar companies that are amazing (the Czech's anyone? ;)). So it depends..
    13/06/2007 - Katowice, Poland

... may there be many more to come