new to electric guitar

nside20nside20 Posts: 29
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I guess I've got a bunch of questions about electric guitars and I'm hoping to get some answers here . First off I've been playing a Norman B-15 for ten + years but I'm really only familiar with acoustic and would like to make an electric guitar purchase. I've been reading reviews and such but I live in a small town and don't really have the ability to try out anything hands on. So with that being said I'm considering G&L ASAT Classic (Which I did have an opportunity to play),
a squier standard telecaster, or a MIM telecaster. I'm really just looking for somthing to bang around on more than anything but I don't want somrthing that is constantly going to have hardware or set up issues. I also noticed that on the G&L I played the edges of the frets were not cut off flush w/ the fretboard and many of them were left sharp. Is this common? Would you just expect to file them flush at home after the purchase? The other question I have concerns string buzz. Is it common on electrics to have some string buzz on the first E and A that isn't audible through the amp? I Know I'm as green as a bean but I'd rather get some honest opinions before I make a trek somewhere and not really know if what I'm being told is true or not. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    I'd go with an epiphone g-400, nothing special but it gets the job done. That and I have a thing for sgs...
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I think that the G&L is the best guitar of the ones that you've listed. It will stand the test of time, as will the MIM telecaster. The Squier, unless you do significant upgrades, will give you the said hardware and tuning problems that you're trying to avoid.

G&L is a company that was formed by Leo Fender about CBS bought out Fender. They retained most of the quality that was lost in the early production of the Post-CBS Fender era. These are good guitars.

As for the sharp frets, this is probably just due to the fluctuating humidity and temperature that the guitar has gone through. I would expect that these would be filed down. String buzz does occur on electric guitars, especially cheaper model guitars, but a good set up by a tech should take care of this issue. Often it's an issue with the action. ie.) People try to achieve as low as of an action as possible, and then end up with string buzz and wonder why. :)