Just played my first strat....

satansbedbugssatansbedbugs Posts: 2,412
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ive been playing acoustic for about a year now, and getting better not great yet, but that will come.. I played my first strat tonight ( thanks JD SAL ) and sounded decent. I tell you what its a big difference adjusting from an acoustic.. And I think I like it. Just thought id share with the group. I still like the acoustic sound better.lol sbbb
*Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
Baltimore- 2024
DC- 2006, 2008
New York- 2008, 2010
Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
Seattle- Gorge 2005
EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I like strat necks since they aren't as fat or thick-keep in mind I have tiny hands though...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    The acoustic will sound better until you stop playing the Strat like an acoustic and play it like an electric. Two quite different styles really, though they merge more as you get better at both.
    Electrics need to have unwanted strings muted or they ring like a bastard, and open chords take some boldness on electrics.
    Everything gets amplified, including mistakes.
    Did you play through tube or solid state ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    IMO, you will be MUCH better off transitioning from acoustic to electric than you would have been transitioning from electric to acoustic. If I had it all to do again, I would have started with acoustic too. There are things you can get away with on an electric that if they become part of your technique, will give you fits on an acoustic.

Congrats on the Strat. Now, try a Tele :D
  • Yeah, I noticed that when I picked it up for the first time. It felt really weird at first. Really heavy, and thin. I noticed my fingers were just a bit overwhelmed with the closeness of the strings and I caught myself a few times hitting the wrong strings on the D chord. After a while , I got better but Im still a fan of the plugged in acoustic. And at first I was trying to play the strat like an acoustic with all the strumming motions and things like that. Since Im getting a new hybrid Taylor soon, I think ill wait on the electric for a year or two.. That way itll be less of a transition later...thanks for the opinions
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • I like strat necks since they aren't as fat or thick-keep in mind I have tiny hands though...

i have fairly large hands, and the strat necks are beautiful, i play a mike/jimi/john frush style of guitar (thumb over) so the slimmer neck is a beauty for that

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Yeah, I noticed that when I picked it up for the first time. It felt really weird at first. Really heavy, and thin. I noticed my fingers were just a bit overwhelmed with the closeness of the strings and I caught myself a few times hitting the wrong strings on the D chord. After a while , I got better but Im still a fan of the plugged in acoustic. And at first I was trying to play the strat like an acoustic with all the strumming motions and things like that. Since Im getting a new hybrid Taylor soon, I think ill wait on the electric for a year or two.. That way itll be less of a transition later...thanks for the opinions

Are you getting a T5 Thinline ??
    Music is not a competetion.