Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, I made the cardinal sin of playing the Deluxe when I was looking at the American and just LOVED it. I love the little features, like the contured heel, and MY GOD it was noiseless. I'm lookin at pickin one up in the next month or so, any thoughts? Better suggestions? Etc?

Thanks, you guys rock
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Did you know that you can buy all teh pieces for a Deluxe American strat off ebay for half the price of a new one ??
    It's worth a thought, cos you can buy the body, neck adn pup set you want all individually, even the case candy, and customise your own git.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    A+ on the American Deluxe from me, I'm gonna get me one of those babies way down the line. Gotta expand my pedalboard and pick up a Paul before I do that though. (Not to mention getting a REAL job with real money! :D)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Did you know that you can buy all teh pieces for a Deluxe American strat off ebay for half the price of a new one ??
    It's worth a thought, cos you can buy the body, neck adn pup set you want all individually, even the case candy, and customise your own git.

I unno, something about buying a REAL Fender though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I unno, something about buying a REAL Fender though.

That's cool. Here in Oz those Deluxes are a few grand, but you can buy all the pieces for about $1K including shipping etc.
    They are genuine Fender guitars that have been dissasembled, which is easy with teh bolt-on necks.
    Each piece is under teh customs threshold which helps a lot.
    BUt you right, going to a store and finding a precious jewel, and haivn teh experience of shopping and taking home etc, has a value which is often beyond dollars.
    I hav eno Fender lust, if I bought one, it would be a a workhorse, so I would go teh cheap route.
    Now, if you started talking about a nice Les PAul, that would be different.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Haha,,,, well,
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=241019&page=2

That is my one guitar for the rest of my life! Except that I like acoustic now, and I would put the SCN pickguard on my Taylor acoustic. :D

I've built a lot of guitars over the years, and the last one I've bought new is that Deluxe.
    Man,,,,, I played it at my friends store and the fretwork and the sound and feel was right, so I picked it up.
    It's like if I wanted the perfect feel for my hands and took a sander and my fret files and tools to a regular Strat, that is what I'd come up with. To me, it's the one that they got right!

Like Lucylespian says, you can get the whole package cheaper, and I guess if I waited I could have, but then it would be in my huge list of unfinished projects! ;)
    One thing about buying the whole product from Fender is that have the warranty, which is something I've never needed on a Fender anyway.

Good luck! It's a great guitar.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

That is my one guitar for the rest of my life! Except that I like acoustic now, and I would put the SCN pickguard on my Taylor acoustic. :D

I've built a lot of guitars over the years, and the last one I've bought new is that Deluxe.
    Man,,,,, I played it at my friends store and the fretwork and the sound and feel was right, so I picked it up.
    It's like if I wanted the perfect feel for my hands and took a sander and my fret files and tools to a regular Strat, that is what I'd come up with. To me, it's the one that they got right!

Like Lucylespian says, you can get the whole package cheaper, and I guess if I waited I could have, but then it would be in my huge list of unfinished projects! ;)
    One thing about buying the whole product from Fender is that have the warranty, which is something I've never needed on a Fender anyway.

Good luck! It's a great guitar.

Ya, now its just gettin the money. You see, I had just enough cash for the American series, but my dad handed me the deluxe...

Thanks dad...
    Ya, now its just gettin the money. You see, I had just enough cash for the American series, but my dad handed me the deluxe...

Thanks dad...

What was it gonna cost you ?? By which I mean, what is your budget ?? I'm heading to lunch now, but I will look up some ebay stuff and either put it up her or PM you.
    What was it gonna cost you ?? By which I mean, what is your budget ?? I'm heading to lunch now, but I will look up some ebay stuff and either put it up her or PM you.

I've checked ebay tons! But thanks... I think I'm getting it for $1400 CDN, but may be getting a discount (uncle works at the store) so I unno. I may sound old school, but I'd rather actually physically buy it from the store, I don't know why? Something about the drive home with it sitting in the car, waiting to be played.
    I've checked ebay tons! But thanks... I think I'm getting it for $1400 CDN, but may be getting a discount (uncle works at the store) so I unno. I may sound old school, but I'd rather actually physically buy it from the store, I don't know why? Something about the drive home with it sitting in the car, waiting to be played.

Nothing wrong with that, esp with your Dad buying with you. I'm a little old school like that too. Was just thinking that you could get the Deluxe for the American price, but no biggie. I get massive pleasure out of shopping and buying in a nice store.

HAve to see some pics when it happens !!
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Hmmmmm.....just took a look on eBay for the parts by themsleves.

Body runs about $150-$250
    Neck runs about $300-$450
    S1 switch with pick-ups, pots, already wired and pickguard about $250

Neck of course was without tuners. And I didn't see the neck plates with any of the parts, so that would be sepearate as well I suppose. Also the body didn't come with the bridge/tremlo system.

So for just the 'big' 3 parts of the guitar you are looking at about $700-$950. And then adding in a case and the rest of the required parts, doesn't seem worth it. A brand new American Deluxe Strat in the US runs about $1000-$1200

So maybe in Austrailia it would be cheaper to do it this way, but being in Canada, I'd say he'd be best off buying it in the store.
    This may well be true. I don't have American or Canadian prices, and he is in Canada, of course !!
    Twas just a thought.
    Sucks that american online music dealers (like musiciansfriend and zzounds) don't ship overseas. Pricing can't be beat for most things.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    Sucks that american online music dealers (like musiciansfriend and zzounds) don't ship overseas. Pricing can't be beat for most things.

Aw, ya just need a friend in the US, then they send it to you as birthday present. Birthday presents don't attract customs duty............

Like this.................Happy Birthday Keeponrocking, from your buddy Novawind !!!!! I just knew you wanted a Deluxe Strat for your birthday, I could tell by the size of the cheque that arrived in the post.
    Aw, ya just need a friend in the US, then they send it to you as birthday present. Birthday presents don't attract customs duty............

Like this.................Happy Birthday Keeponrocking, from your buddy Novawind !!!!! I just knew you wanted a Deluxe Strat for your birthday, I could tell by the size of the cheque that arrived in the post.

Hahaha!
    Hahaha!

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    This may well be true. I don't have American or Canadian prices, and he is in Canada, of course !!
    Twas just a thought.

Understandable.

Yeah, prices on most gear for you guys is crazy high isn't it?
    I'm just that generous!

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    What is the tone difference between Alder and Ash?
    Novawind wrote:
    I'm just that generous!

OK, I'm pretty sure you guys got this, but I'll spell it out anyway.

He buys the guitar, gets it shipped to you, you on-ship it as a birthday pressie to avoid customs. Either he pays direct, or you pay GC, then he pays you.

Funny I should mention this, then a guy from Ireland pops up and asks someone here to do exactly this.

Of course, this is speculation, as keeponrocking is looking forwad to the shopping trip. It was more a general observation.
    Yeah I know, it's a big favor either way though. Might just be worth it though, since you describe all music products in Australia being seemingly thousands more.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    Yeah I know, it's a big favor either way though. Might just be worth it though, since you describe all music products in Australia being seemingly thousands more.

Basically, anything from the is cheaper. US made stuff is substantially so. The more expensive and exotic, teh worse it gets. Historic Les Paul reissues sell for $5K for a top example, there, $12-15K here. So, yeah, it's much cheaper to fly over and shop for that stuff. For cheaper gear, it can still be a bargain. I bought a Digitech Whammy recently, and even after postage and buying a transformer, I stlll saved a few hundred bucks. There is less difference for Euro stuff and Asian stuff is probably the same as you guys, maybe a littel more, cos there is less competition, but not that bad. Mostly again, the high end stuff gets pricey pretty quick. Amps are the worst, cos basically it all comes from the US, except for MArshall.

But hey, it's sunny and we don't have gun crime. I swim at a beach covered in pretty girls during my lunch break, so I'm not really complaining, just smart enough to save money when it suits.

I do have a friend in LA who on-ships at times. He is a cool guy, it will be nice to catch up in Feb when we are shopping.
    Just had another thought about this, at the risk of flogging a dead horse, just for future reference for non-US folk. It is only authorised dealers who are bound by distribution agreementts that won't ship outside the US, there are plenty of reputable dealers who will.
    Ebay sometimes works too if people are willing to ship wherever. Shipping to Australia is no walk in the park.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • should have picked up my Am Del. when i was selling it in winter, 1200 bucks, in canada too!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    should have picked up my Am Del. when i was selling it in winter, 1200 bucks, in canada too!

I know, I didn't have the cash at the point. I'm going to try the V neck out as well, see how I like that.