Good Cheap Recording Console

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking for a cheap recording console. I was looking at the Tascam DP-01, because it has a big drive and it looks easy to use. Any suggestions, I know a lot of you guys record.
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jbdjbd Posts: 65
    Soundcraft Compact 4...
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, the only thing i'm seeing that it lacks is effects which are nice to have around. so it's either buy the DP01 and some outboard reverb/comp etc. or buy the DP01FX.

the effects make a huge difference in the final recording product. and it's a lot more fun when things sound better.

the DP01FX has proper mic inputs as well w/ phantom power etc.

doesn't appear to have any good comp/limiting effects though which means you're going to have trouble getting loud mixes out etc.

my only standalone recorders were tascams and i did like them. they are pretty easy to use once you get familiar with everything.

how good is your computer? an mbox 2 with protools LE isn't *that* much more and can get you pretty amazing results. if you've already got a fast computer. if not, don't go that route.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My computer is SLOW! Thats why I was thinking one of those recorders. I basically want it for demos in my room, but I want it to sound good. Is the FX Really worth the extra 200?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    for things like voice and acoustic guitar, a little reverb goes a long way.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I had no idea. Would the money be better invested in better mics? I'm new to this whole thing.
    it's not so much the mics. it's the space around the voice or guitar that reverb etc. can provide.

as for mics.

i like the apex condensers. 415 and 435. they're cheap but good value for a little demo setup. i'm happy with them.
  • I'm a big fan of my Roland VS-1680 and the VS-840 I had previously but if you're really a beginner, get one of the Boss BR-series. They're specifically designed for idiot guitarists and have better quality effects than most of the cheap standalone recorders out there, bar perhaps the Korgs. That said, the effects should be the lowest priority. Reason being? Effects have a tendancy to a) make you try to use them to cover your shit instead of recording a better take, which never works, and b) sound like arse.
    My only beef with the Boss machines is that learning to use them won't help you a lot when it comes time to record using something else, since every major recording function has a shortcut, meaning you don't learn about signal routing and busses and whatnot. But, if you just want a machine that makes it easy to create good demos and aren't particularly interested in becoming an audio engineer, go the Boss. Not one of those palmtop ones, though. They're just stupid.