Derek Trucks

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, I just got back from Eric Clapton, and although Clapton was amazing, Derek Trucks stole the show. What are your guys' thoughts on this player? Any album you can reccomend me as well?
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, I just got back from Eric Clapton, and although Clapton was amazing, Derek Trucks stole the show. What are your guys' thoughts on this player? Any album you can reccomend me as well?

That whole damn family is awsome. I'm friends with his little bro (Duane Trucks-drummer). I went to see the derek trucks band and was blown the fuck away. Derek is an amazing guitarist and just cannot be topped. Plus he's so fucking young, it's kinda scary to think about just how good he's going to get.
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    Trucks rocks!

Songlines is the newest album and I like it alot.

The first studio album by The Derek Trucks Band is great. Some real blues stuff in there.

Out of the Madness is another of my favorites.

The older stuff is only available here.

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?band_id=700&dept_id=2517&sfid=2
  • I thought I shoulda called 911! Derek Trucks stole the show. He blew away Clapton by a mile. It was amazing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    That guy is seriously talented.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Well, I just got back from Eric Clapton, and although Clapton was amazing, Derek Trucks stole the show. What are your guys' thoughts on this player? Any album you can reccomend me as well?
    how was the show? im going on saturday
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    how was the show? im going on saturday

The show was amazing. Every song they played pretty much was jammed out. The one organ guy on the left has this keyboard that gets old, but to each is own.
  • Well, I just got back from Eric Clapton, and although Clapton was amazing, Derek Trucks stole the show. What are your guys' thoughts on this player? Any album you can reccomend me as well?
    Any of his albums are good but check out his live shit,
    http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20%2Fmetadata%2Fcreator%3A%22Derek%20Trucks%20Band%22
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I played a gig with him last year.
    Derek's really quite good (IMO Clapton's not even in the same class as him). Anyhow, yeah, anything you get of Derek's will be good - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    I played a gig with him last year.
    I'd been recording with Bob Langford - Bob introduced me to Derek, and Derek invited me to play on the bill with him the next week (Bob Langford recorded/mixed/engineered "Free Bird" and other tunes for Lynyrd Skynyrd, and he also worked with the Allman Bros, among many other folks of that genre). Derek's really quite good (IMO Clapton's not even in the same class as him). Anyhow, yeah, anything you get of Derek's will be good - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

Wow, you played with Trucks! That's amazing. Ya, Technically, Trucks>Clapton
  • Derek is amazing!

I have tickets to see him at the end of October playing a gig with Susan Tedeschi.

You oughta check her out, too. GREAT guitarist and singer.

And they're husband and wife!

There must be some great jamming in that house after dinner, and I wonder how talented THEIR kid is going to be! :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I have tickets to see him at the end of October playing a gig with Susan Tedeschi.

You oughta check her out, too. GREAT guitarist and singer.

And they're husband and wife!

There must be some great jamming in that house after dinner, and I wonder how talented THEIR kid is going to be! :cool:

He/she's gonna rebel by being an athlete.
  • I wanna call blasphemy because Clapton is one of my favorite guitarists, but I'll give this guy a listen before I say anything.

Is it really fair because Clapton is what, in his 60s now? His joints have got to be starting to give a little.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • For the big jam, he outplayed Clapton.

And on the otherhand, you can say that Clapton's had more experience:p
  • Novawind wrote:

Is it really fair because Clapton is what, in his 60s now? His joints have got to be starting to give a little.

Perhaps, but what happened when Albert King completely schooled SRV on "In Session?"

As for Mr. Trucks, he's quickly become one of my favorite guitarists and I love "Songlines;" its my favorite of the year. Everybody in his band is terrific. I saw DTB open for the Allman Brothers in June and wow, what an amazing show.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    I thought I shoulda called 911! Derek Trucks stole the show. He blew away Clapton by a mile. It was amazing.
    yeah, but clapton let him
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    Perhaps, but what happened when Albert King completely schooled SRV on "In Session?"

I don't think SRV has ever been "schooled" in his life.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down