Overdrive Pedal

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, as some of you know, I just bought a Traynor YCV80Q. Now, I love it. I sold my DS-1, but want an overdrive to mess around with. What do you guys reccomend? I don't want to spend TOO much, but anything around $150 CDN is great! How is the boss SD-1?
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    So, as some of you know, I just bought a Traynor YCV80Q. Now, I love it. I sold my DS-1, but want an overdrive to mess around with. What do you guys reccomend? I don't want to spend TOO much, but anything around $150 CDN is great! How is the boss SD-1?
    TS-9!!!!!!!!!! got one about a month ago, havnt used my amp without it since
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    a boss blues driver is nice if you don't like the TS-9 sound.
  • Depends on what guitar you have....
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • boss blues driver is good. As always, the Ibanez TS-9 or 808 tube screamers are amazing. The TS-5 though is great an NOT as expensive. Really, it's amazing though. The Ibanez SD-1 is what I think you mean (sonic distortion or whatever-Stone used it at one time). It's all right I guess but with a tube screamer, it's phenomonal. You have to spend a lot for it. Hope this helped.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Man that's one loud amp! I play with a TraynorYCV40t and I have to say the boss blues driver really does sound great with it. I use it in conjunction with the amp's drive channel to pack that extra punch.
    The blues driver can also deliver a really wide range of tones! Although you do find you find what works for you and tend to stick to it.
    Anyway hope that's helpful!
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

decent. do you know what kind of OD you want? Fat? Flat EQ? Warm? Blusey?

The SD-1 is a great pedal. As is the Bad Monkey from Digitech. For a more transparent sound try the BD2 also from Boss.

I'm very partial to Barber Electronics so I love my Barber Direct Drive which is very versatile and he has two versions of his LTD you might also want to check out. All can be had on Ebay for less than 100 US.

Oh and MI audio's Blues Pro is a good one for you to look into as well in your price range.

blues pro clips http://www.miaudio.com/BP3.htm
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • The overdrive on those are nice, so I'd recommend a pedal that can push the amp's overdrive into a thick ballsy area, and can be used with the clean channel to give a slightly gritty clean breakup sort of sound.

Honestly, the best OD pedal bang for buck is the Digitech Bad Monkey. They're a company that's known for their average multieffect units, but they really hit it on the head with this one, and It's dirt cheap. I'm not a fan of the TS-9 through the Traynor YCV80s, but the Fulltone Fulldrive II, which has a TS-9 setting, does sound good. However, that's a little bit pricey.

The Boss SD-1 works well, and is and has been an OD staple for many many years. It goes well with single coils and humbuckers. It does colour the sound a bit though, but that can be a good thing. A good transparent sounding od is the Boss Bluesdriver, which does work well with the Traynor.

Another great example, which is supposed to sound great with the Traynor is the Barber Direct Drive.

Try to check these out, and see if you can try them through a YCV80 or YCV80Q in the store.
  • I'm looking for that extra push over the cliff, as well as just something to mess around with. The BD-2 does sound like a good suggestion! I can get close, but what does Mike use for Yellow Ledbetter live, that tone is astounding!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'm looking for that extra push over the cliff, as well as just something to mess around with. The BD-2 does sound like a good suggestion! I can get close, but what does Mike use for Yellow Ledbetter live, that tone is astounding!

Every YL sounds different to me.

The BD-2 is more of a "crunch" overdrive, to get the true sound you need to have it at a decent volume...its great for blues "obviously" but also for a lot of low-overdrive sounds. I have one and it's nice, but I'm thinking of sending it into Keeley.

If you had more money I think you would fall in-love with the Fulltone Fulldrive 2
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Every YL sounds different to me.

The BD-2 is more of a "crunch" overdrive, to get the true sound you need to have it at a decent volume...its great for blues "obviously" but also for a lot of low-overdrive sounds. I have one and it's nice, but I'm thinking of sending it into Keeley.

If you had more money I think you would fall in-love with the Fulltone Fulldrive 2

How much do those go for?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Call Mark Stephenson at Stephenson Amps. Ask him about the FMD. It's a buffer, booster, and treble booster all in one...should be right around your budget. :)

604-869-0598
    enharmonic wrote:
    Call Mark Stephenson at Stephenson Amps. Ask him about the FMD. It's a buffer, booster, and treble booster all in one...should be right around your budget. :)

604-869-0598

we went from under $150 to $700 really quick :D

let us know when you get your Stage Hog, I'm curious to how it is as a small amp.

Everybody that has one loves them. If I'd had the cash I'd have bought that LJ10 power scaling prototype of his on the emporium.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I would get a Boost and skip the OD it will be too much IMO!

There are dozens of boost pedals out there, some at your budget, some below and some way beyond.

I would go into this blind and play them, as you may prefer the color one pedal adds.
    Some to look at:
    High end:
    Xotic
    Lovepedal
    Greer
    Catalinbread
    BJF

Middle gound:
    Skreddy
    HBE

Low end:
    Boss
    Digitech

You may find all of these on fleabay for a lot less then you think ;) (other then BJF LOL)

If I were you, I would wait 2 months and buy one right after the holidays ;)

Tonefactor, Musictoyz have clips
    Fatback has clips of all of them and he compares them, see the GuitarHub for his site!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • I want something to give me the ability to go into metal territory, not that I need it often. Ever since I got the amp, I've been using a lot LESS distortion. And my guitar is a Godin Freeway Classic.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I want something to give me the ability to go into metal territory, not that I need it often. Ever since I got the amp, I've been using a lot LESS distortion. And my guitar is a Godin Freeway Classic.
    One word: ProAnalog
    Couple pedals to check:
    Scot60 Dirty Boost
    Dual Drive
    Boost Royale-what you are looking for, just dont tell Scotty I said his pedals can do metal LOL

If none of these do it for you, check out the Greer line he has some heavy gain stuff.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • JofZ wrote:
    One word: ProAnalog
    Couple pedals to check:
    Scot60 Dirty Boost
    Dual Drive
    Boost Royale-what you are looking for, just dont tell Scotty I said his pedals can do metal LOL

If none of these do it for you, check out the Greer line he has some heavy gain stuff.

What are these pedals gonna run me? And I just need metal every once in a while:p
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    we went from under $150 to $700 really quick :D

let us know when you get your Stage Hog, I'm curious to how it is as a small amp.

Everybody that has one loves them. If I'd had the cash I'd have bought that LJ10 power scaling prototype of his on the emporium.

Oh no...the Fix My Duck is a whole different animal. It's a fet powered multi-boost that is almost as tonally flexible as the Hog. In fact, I might add one onto my order to use with the Hog when I gig the Hog as an amp instead of running it in front of my Harry Joyce :)

The FMD is about $150 bucks.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    enharmonic wrote:
    Oh no...the Fix My Duck is a whole different animal. It's a fet powered multi-boost that is almost as tonally flexible as the Hog. In fact, I might add one onto my order to use with the Hog when I gig the Hog as an amp instead of running it in front of my Harry Joyce :)

ahh, the fix my duck.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7606/935/1600/IMG_0036.jpg

meegee from limblifter posted that picture. i think ryan uses a lot of stephenson stuff.
  • What about:
    BD-2 Blues Driver
    Digitech Bad Monkey
    TS-9
    Boss SD-1

How would you rank those in order?
  • What about:
    BD-2 Blues Driver
    Digitech Bad Monkey
    TS-9
    Boss SD-1

How would you rank those in order?
    TS-9
    BD-2
    SD-1
    Bad Monkey

I love the X-series stuff from digitech and you got a lot of opetions (at least on my hyper phase and digi delay) but some of them are just outta control. The SD-1 feeds off the TS-9 though, that's why so low AND they are different pedals kinda too. There ya go though.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • TS-9
    BD-2
    SD-1
    Bad Monkey

I love the X-series stuff from digitech and you got a lot of opetions (at least on my hyper phase and digi delay) but some of them are just outta control. The SD-1 feeds off the TS-9 though, that's why so low AND they are different pedals kinda too. There ya go though.

Haha, just played. I can do metal just fine. I think I'm gonna do the TS-9, just to put in front of the overdrive, and make it clearer. Need new tubes first though!
    enharmonic wrote:

nice, looks cool too.