Fender SCN Pickups

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Thoughts? Do they give the vintage strat tone? I'm lookin at strats and want the vintage tone, but the deluxes are intriguing.
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    if you want vintage, go with 57/62s. however, i think the SCNs sound great. a little fuller and more output than vintage but still strat.

if they actually fit in the routes of my 62, i'd have them in there. my last strat had them and i miss them.

waiting on a set for my telecaster right now.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it's not vintage, a little fuller and thicker but still bell like and very much stratlike without so much top end. I think they are some of the best Fender has ever made especially for a noiseless pup. In the S-1 configuration it makes for a very pleasing versatile guitar.

Dosen't sound quite as open I think as the originals but they make up for that in the crunch to overdriven range. Very pleasing sound.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Ok, so what are your opinions on the American Deluxes over the American Series? Gah I hate all these choices!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Ok, so what are your opinions on the American Deluxes over the American Series? Gah I hate all these choices!

both are fine guitars, I prefer the American Deluxes because of the pickups, electronics and locking tuning machines. I do not particularly like the abalone cosmetics on the AD's but that's not all that important.

If you're looking to buy a strat obviously play a ton of them and make up your own mind as to what works for you, I just am really a big fan of the American Deluxe. I think they nailed it with the S-1 switching and the SCN pups and I like the conveinence of locking tuners.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Ya, I'm not looking for A Strat, I'm looking for THE Strat if that makes sense.
    Ya, I'm not looking for A Strat, I'm looking for THE Strat if that makes sense.

Ah, yes it does, as I have been on that quest myself. The AD is an excellent canidate, I can say that definitively.

The new Hot Rod American Vintages (9.5 radius as opposed to the smaller 7.5 of the standard AM Vintages are new for this year and worth a try)

Strat shopping is tough.

If you get a chance, also play G&L (they don't hold thier value but are excellent so you can get a used one cheap)

Try Suhr and Grosh as well.

Don Grosh uses my favorite Lindy Fralin pickups and John Suhr is just a freaking brilliant strat builder he uses his own custom wound V60's and V60lp's as well as using the buzz feiten tuning system.

Ultimately I love Suhr he builds a phenominal guitar it was just out of my price range and I felt kind of like I was changing oil in an Armani suit. Great guitar bad fit for me at this time.

I went with a 62 RI because I love the way they look and mine is very resonant. It will be getting Fralin Blues (neck and middle) and a SP 43 in the bridge as well as locking vintage tuning machines in a blender configuration in the next few months.

Had the option been available, I think a 9.5 to 10" radius is very appealing to me. Medium C is my neck choice. That's why I think the thin skin hot rod American Vintages are very appealing.

check out http://www.acmeguitarworks.com and http://www.fralinpickups.com for info on blender wiring.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/avts/

the slightly larger frets give you a little easer bends too at the expense of a little less contact with the fretboard. Chords are slightly easier on vintage frets, bends are a little easier on the bigger ones.
  • Ya, I'm looking to spend UNDER 1500 Canadian if its possible, but will dish out the extra if it's really worth the cash, plus I may be able to get a discount, I dunno. Anyways, It won't be for a while, but I love lookin around. Probably around Junish, but I'd like to have it down to 2 or 3 when I go in. Right now its:
    American Series
    American Deluxe Series
    American Vintage (a LITTLE high)
    Ya, I'm not looking for A Strat, I'm looking for THE Strat if that makes sense.

that's where i was at when i bought my 62. it was down to the am deluxe and the 62. i wanted the vintage feel and finish so i went 62 though, like i say, i miss the SCNs.

of course, i'm left-handed so i get very little choice in american strats. or american fenders at all for that matter. grumble.
  • I'm used to a 12 inch radius, will the rounder radius REALLY effect me or not? I can't get out to stores that often, hence the asking.
  • THE Strat is a tough choice!

I have a deluxe with the SCN's and it's outstanding.
    The pickups are dead quiet and expressive. One thing, like Paco said, is that they are Strat like but a little less top end. The S-1 switching makes it really versatile.
    If you want an all around Strat, that could be the one. It depends on your style, though.
    If you want the loud and rough blues guitar, the vintage 57/ 62 are great. You may find a little more personality with them. You have to wrestle with them and get to know them and your amp, and when you come to terms with each other, haha,,, it's a beautiful thing!

My vintage sounding strat is really an old G&L Legacy with some old Seymour Duncan single coils in it, and that is a raucous blues guitar. It works at its best with the amp (Fender Deluxe) pushed loud, and breaking up, so that it's more touch sensitive. Back off with your picking hand and you sound semi clean for rhythm, dig in and you get a great strat growl.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

but i'm not really a big solo playing type guy.

the 9.5" on the american and american deluxe would be fine.

if you're looking at that under $1500 limit but really like the SCNs, an option would be getting an american series and swapping in the SCNs later. they're being sold as aftermarket now for a good price.

the S-1 switching would be lost but hell, even those switches can be found on ebay now though they aren't sold as new parts by fender.

i see no advantage in the deluxe over the "standard" american series save for the electronics. tuners are easy enough to change later as well.
    exhausted wrote:
    i go from the relatively flat boards on gibsons to the 7.25 on a couple of my fenders with little trouble.

but i'm not really a big solo playing type guy.

the 9.5" on the american and american deluxe would be fine.

if you're looking at that under $1500 limit but really like the SCNs, an option would be getting an american series and swapping in the SCNs later. they're being sold as aftermarket now for a good price.

the S-1 switching would be lost but hell, even those switches can be found on ebay now though they aren't sold as new parts by fender.

i see no advantage in the deluxe over the "standard" american series save for the electronics. tuners are easy enough to change later as well.

yeah that's true, you could always change to some sperzels or anything like that later and the holes are already big enough for that type. I change from my LP to my 62RI 7.5 with little problem too.

Acme carries the SCN's and you could get them with a blender rig easily too.
  • ^ :D

I think Keeponrockin doesn't know this yet, but he's going to have 3 or 4 strats and piles of pickups laying around soon. :D

The neck is really a matter of taste. A 12" radius is pretty close to a 10 1/2" so that wouldn't make much difference.
    7.5 is a little round for me for bending and soloing, but comfortable with chords and barre chords. I'm a bender so I like a flatter radius. It's a matter of preference and you really should sit down with a few of them at one point and try them.
    Be kind, man
    Does anybody else really like the idea/features behind the deluxe series but just HATE the colors? The amber/tortoise/rosewood fretboard and the black with puke-colored pickguard are both just terrible. I'd probably go with a sunburst but the problem is I've never seen a deluxe sunburst before, they don't have those pics on MF or zzounds. It has to be the right kind of sunburst (they're all different, ya know?)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    Does anybody else really like the idea/features behind the deluxe series but just HATE the colors? The amber/tortoise/rosewood fretboard and the black with puke-colored pickguard are both just terrible. I'd probably go with a sunburst but the problem is I've never seen a deluxe sunburst before, they don't have those pics on MF or zzounds. It has to be the right kind of sunburst (they're all different, ya know?)

Here's mine:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/Guitars%20and%20amps/DSC04176.jpg

This one's a tobacco sunburst and looks prett good. I would prefer nitro finish, but this ones pretty decent. The neck finish is nice, too. Not sticky.
    I'm not too worried about the exact look. I look to make sure it sounds good and plays well first and looks come later.
    Be kind, man

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/mynamehere/Guitars%20and%20amps/DSC04176.jpg

This one's a tobacco sunburst and looks prett good. I would prefer nitro finish, but this ones pretty decent. The neck finish is nice, too. Not sticky.
    I'm not too worried about the exact look. I look to make sure it sounds good and plays well first and looks come later.

That is one fine looking guitar!
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Thanks ex :)

Looks pretty good, I wouldn't want gold hardware on mine though. If it's gonna be THE strat, it has to be THE strat.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    the gold was a 50th anniversary thing.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Since everyone is sharing, why not?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19959093@N00/403933778/
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    moster78 wrote:

you gotta get a perloid pickgurd for that jr!
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    seanw1010 wrote:
    you gotta get a perloid pickgurd for that jr!

I have a tortoise shell one on the way from eBay!
  • I like the flat black p/g.
    I like the flat black p/g.

I'll see how the tortoise shell looks, if it even fits. Not like its hard to swap out like a Strat pickguard.
  • So I just found a used Am. Series for $900, but may get them to go to $800 if trading in a delay. Should be going in to check it out next week.
    moster78 wrote:

still totally jealous of the mayer strat.
    exhausted wrote:
    still totally jealous of the mayer strat.

Its a great axe. I love the pups and feel and look of it. Its been my main guitar since I got it. I feel bad that the others are collecting dust. Too bad they don't make it lefty.
    i wish they did too. i'm curious as to what that neck feels like.
    exhausted wrote:
    i wish they did too. i'm curious as to what that neck feels like.

I like the feel of it. It needs to be broken in a bit still, as the frets are still a little sharp, but all in all, still great!
    moster78 wrote:
    I like the feel of it. It needs to be broken in a bit still, as the frets are still a little sharp, but all in all, still great!

what is the carve on it? C shape V to C boat etc?