Ovation Guitars

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ovation's intrigue me. What is everyone's thoughts on them? I'm possibly considering one as my next guitar, as I have an OK acoustic (Art&Lutherie) but want to get a good acoustic as my next purchase. I know they sound different, but I don't think it's a bad thing, so... thoughts?
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ovation's intrigue me. What is everyone's thoughts on them? I'm possibly considering one as my next guitar, as I have an OK acoustic (Art&Lutherie) but want to get a good acoustic as my next purchase. I know they sound different, but I don't think it's a bad thing, so... thoughts?

I've always dug ovations. Really have. But when you sit down and play one and compare it to a good acoustic (gibson, martin, Guild), It's just night in day.

In all I think they have there place.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I think they tend to be a bit over-priced.

I do think they sound pretty good, but for that kind of money I think there are better acoustics you can get.

My buddy has a black Ovation acoustic. I looks really nice, it sounds pretty good, but it's got a fricken round, plastic back. It's almost impossible to play on your knee and it's fricken PLASTIC! It cost him a pretty decent chunk of change too.
  • mca47 wrote:
    I think they tend to be a bit over-priced.

I do think they sound pretty good, but for that kind of money I think there are better acoustics you can get.

My buddy has a black Ovation acoustic. I looks really nice, it sounds pretty good, but it's got a fricken round, plastic back. It's almost impossible to play on your knee and it's fricken PLASTIC! It cost him a pretty decent chunk of change too.

Yes the Ovation slide. Always funny to watch people struggle on the acoustic jam pass around circles
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ya, I'm also looking at Seagull... I can't afford to buy a Martin or Taylor acoustic/electric, I unno, this is still a while away, maybe after the summer if I'm lucky, so we'll see. I'm just lookin at options.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Ya, I'm also looking at Seagull... I can't afford to buy a Martin or Taylor acoustic/electric, I unno, this is still a while away, maybe after the summer if I'm lucky, so we'll see. I'm just lookin at options.

In my opinion it's always best not to rush, think things over, get exactly what you want.

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    In my opinion it's always best not to rush, think things over, get exactly what you want.
    Haha, exactly what I'm doin. I'm not anywhere close to having the cash, and I think its my last axe before university.
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    Ovation's intrigue me. What is everyone's thoughts on them? I'm possibly considering one as my next guitar, as I have an OK acoustic (Art&Lutherie) but want to get a good acoustic as my next purchase. I know they sound different, but I don't think it's a bad thing, so... thoughts?

I dont like them,when your sat down playing they tend to slip out your lap because of the bowl back, they sound good but id skip it and buy a takamine or tanglewood.
  • Haha, exactly what I'm doin. I'm not anywhere close to having the cash, and I think its my last axe before university.

Really nice used Guilds can be sought after cheap. They don't hold there value, and they sound amazing. Nice and full. Used one on the record, more then the martin that my buddy has to be honest.

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    smile75 wrote:
    I dont like them,when your sat down playing they tend to slip out your lap because of the bowl back, they sound good but id skip it and buy a takamine or tanglewood.

That round back it defintiely a tolerate it or hate it thing, not sure that anyone really loves it, esp since most peeps have a round tummy, and teh two shpes make teh opoosite of spooning !!

+1 for TAnglewood, Martin quality for Fender price, ebony boards, solid wood, nice craftmanship, definitely good VFM !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I've played a couple at GC unplugged and they sounded pretty average. I'm sure they're better plugged in though.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I like my ovation. I agree the shape takes some getting used to, but I don't have any problems resting it on my leg. It sounds so powerful on big chords. I think it's especially great on energetic, Richie Havens type strumming. That said, I have been thinking about getting a second acoustic with a more classic acoustic sound lately (probably a Martin).
  • I think the Ovations are great when you're plugged in, but for me the sound is not great unplugged. I actually like the sound on the mid-range Ibanezes.
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Not that I really belong in this thread because I don't play currently, but I used to have an Ovation. I was obsessed with getting one and my teacher had convinced my Mom that it would be good for me.
    I miss that guitar so much. It was so cool. I wonder if it is still in her basement?
    Anyway, I liked it.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away