Clearness With Overdrive

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, I absoutley love my Strat/Traynor combonation. BUT when I turn on the Gain boost, it adds a bit of bass in the mix as well, so I'm looking for something that will overdrive the 'regular' gain, without adding lots of bass?

Thoughts?

Looking to spend AT THE MOST $150 US, but would like to keep it under that.
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    MAybe an eq in the effects loop.

My Mesa Mark IIC+ has the regular eq before the pre-amp, and teh fader eq after.
    On advice, I have set it up with almost no bass before the pre-amp, but put it back in using the fader eq, which cmoes after the pre-amp, and that gives perfect control over what happens, and avoids teh tendency that 6L6 tubes have for producing booming bass that makes the whole room vibrate.

I'm not sure how that fits with your budget, but if you can try it out, I think it will do what you want.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Would a TS-9 going into it work? I just want basically a gain boost that isn't as muddy as the built in one.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Just get a straight volume boost/EQ and put it in front of the amp. This will increase the amount of signal going into it and therefore increase the amount of gain.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Would a TS-9 going into it work? I just want basically a gain boost that isn't as muddy as the built in one.

Yeah, OD pedals with the gain turned down will give you a clean boost, BUT, remember, what you are describing is a characteristic of 6L6 tubes.

They just take bass and runwith it forever. EL34 don't do it near so much. If you can borrow an eq and put it in the effects loop as I described, rather than up front, you can experiment a bit and see what I mean.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471

TS9 is very muddy, so for this application avoid it at all costs. Tubescreamers are infamous for having tons of midrange which would only augment the problem. The reason they're so popular is that the huge mid boost lets the guitar stand out from the rest of the band for solos.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'm going to be a stickler here and say try out a Fulltone OCD. I don't think it's as muddy as a TS9.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    this pedal is incredible
    http://zvex.com/hardon.html
  • Would a TS-9 going into it work? I just want basically a gain boost that isn't as muddy as the built in one.
    Might be perfect.

Another sort of similar was I use the tubescreamer (including what you're trying to do) is to just put a nice, slight drive on the clean channel so you can go from booming to calm in the click of a swich.

It makes it so you don't have to deal with the amount of room and variation in volume most clean amp channels provide. Great in some cases, but if I'm playing rock music (and I usually am) I need the slight drive and comp. I can get with the tubescreamer.

Think Smashing Pumpkins when they play soft stuff live.

Well I sort of went off on a tangent, but yes, I believe a TS-9 might be good for you.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • TS9 is very muddy, so for this application avoid it at all costs. Tubescreamers are infamous for having tons of midrange which would only augment the problem. The reason they're so popular is that the huge mid boost lets the guitar stand out from the rest of the band for solos.
    That depends on how you use it. Turn the gain down and volume up a bit, add some tone, and it would work nicely. You know,.. use it subtly.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"