Fender Jaguar

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, I'm looking at tons of guitars (even though I LOVE the strat) and am looking at the Japanese Jags. I was wondering if these mods would be easy:

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x275/sunburststratocaster/?action=view&current=JagMods.jpg

Basically giving it 2 volume and 2 tone controls, but having them for each pickup instead of having 2 different settings. Also, replacing those 3 switches with a Tele switch. The reason I'd go tele over jazz master is to keep the overall look.
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So, I'm looking at tons of guitars (even though I LOVE the strat) and am looking at the Japanese Jags. I was wondering if these mods would be easy:

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x275/sunburststratocaster/?action=view&current=JagMods.jpg

Basically giving it 2 volume and 2 tone controls, but having them for each pickup instead of having 2 different settings. Also, replacing those 3 switches with a Tele switch. The reason I'd go tele over jazz master is to keep the overall look.

Honestly shouldn't be that bad. Need a new pickguard to cover where the switches are being takin out and the pickup select would be put in. There should be no body routing out required at all.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The switch is the one thing I'm on the fence about, I'm not sure how it would look.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • The switch is the one thing I'm on the fence about, I'm not sure how it would look.

A tele style switch would probably look way better then a gibson style 3-way that's for sure.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I would LOVE a jag. I got a Japanese Mustang and it works all right. Japanese stuff isn't too bad...just make sure it's not the Squier version of the Jaguar...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    I don't know WHY I want one, but I do. Theres something so cool about them. It'd function as a number 2 guitar, so I don't know. I'll have a better idea at the end of summer.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the only issue i have with the fender japan stuff is the quality of the pots and caps. flimsy stuff.
    I'd imagine if I'm getting it rewired, I'd get all that shit replaced anyways.
    yup.

it's a cool idea, btw. the only issues as i see it are as follows:

finding another little control plate for the lower horn to hold either the tele or toggle switch (i think the toggle would be more functional).

i'd wire the top horn controls as volume tone for the neck. (those are 1meg pots. going to be bright as shit. not sure if those rollers are available readily in other values.) and wire the lower volume and tone for the bridge since those are 250k.

maybe it would be ok though with the way you have them laid out.
    exhausted wrote:
    yup.

it's a cool idea, btw. the only issues as i see it are as follows:

finding another little control plate for the lower horn to hold either the tele or toggle switch (i think the toggle would be more functional).

i'd wire the top horn controls as volume tone for the neck. (those are 1meg pots. going to be bright as shit. not sure if those rollers are available readily in other values.) and wire the lower volume and tone for the bridge since those are 250k.

maybe it would be ok though with the way you have them laid out.

Thanks for the compliment! This is just sorta the 'what if' stage, but I was wondering if it was possible. I the tone knob rolled down on my strat all the time, and I love being able to switch straight to the bridge. I dont know if this will come into fruition, but if I see a used one, and the price is right, it may.
    it's totally doable. could even just mount the toggle on the existing plate in the lower horn though it's not as tidy.

fender japan once made a tribute version of cobain's jag, with the humbuckers, three knobs etc. and it had the little control plate with a toggle and kill.

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/ikebe-kc/img/HJG66KCVI_r1_c2.jpg
    exhausted wrote:
    it's totally doable. could even just mount the toggle on the existing plate in the lower horn though it's not as tidy.

fender japan once made a tribute version of cobain's jag, with the humbuckers, three knobs etc. and it had the little control plate with a toggle and kill.

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/ikebe-kc/img/HJG66KCVI_r1_c2.jpg
    Damn that'd be awesome!

I'll see what I want (my 'next guitar' changes every few days). I also find the possibility of Humbuckers to be an attractive option, but I dont like the finish on the Jaguar HH.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Is it just me that hates the coloured headstock on Jags?

Id like a Red one but i hate the headstock on them so been thinking of getting an Olympic White one instead as their headstock is natural.
  • chris01 wrote:
    Is it just me that hates the coloured headstock on Jags?

Id like a Red one but i hate the headstock on them so been thinking of getting an Olympic White one instead as their headstock is natural.

In my opinion no Fender should have a painted neck or headstock.

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    No painted heads for me. Not my thing. They just don't look right.
    I like the matching head on the Jaguar. Everythign else, no.