Gibson SG Special Faded

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, looking at this as a possible number 2/slide guitar. Would this be any good or are they total shit? The Standard would be doable for me but I would prefer to save the money if possible, and I don't care about it saying 'Standard' on the head, or some of the cosmetics.

P.S. How hard would it be to install p/u covers?
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I've not been impressed by anything of Gibson in the "faded" series. Big dissapointments in my opinion.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    here's me playing my flying v faded:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CYZGsN23ewU
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,166
    I've not been impressed by anything of Gibson in the "faded" series. Big dissapointments in my opinion.

i am not much of a fan of the faded either. i just don't like the way they look or the way the finish feels on the neck and body. if you can swing it, spend the extra $2-300 and get a standard or a classic with a proper finish. just my opinion. i have a blue teal sg classic that i absolutely love.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • ntt117ntt117 Posts: 56
    I feel the same way, the faded series isnt very good. When was looking around a couple of years ago for something new, I thought that the higher end epiphones that were in the same price range played a little bit better than the gibson faded series.
    "If we werent all crazy we would go insane."
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If I had my choice of SG I'd spring for the 61 reissue that I've been eyeing for over a year. The standard would probably do it for you too.

I thought you were looking at a Les Paul though for your second guitar?

PS: I prefer my Strat for slide tuning over the LP. Sounds more bluesy/natural.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    here's me playing my flying v faded:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CYZGsN23ewU

very nice (though I only watched half because it took too freaking long to load up). I've never played a V, but the neck looks really long and the headstock looks huge. is that true, or are you a really small person? the body of the guitar looks normal size but the neck and head look ginormous.

as for the original question, I can't say. you'll just have to try one out I was eyeing the Les Paul doublecut faded with the 2 P90s. it seems like a good deal $769 for a Gibson with 2 P90s, but looking at some of the people's comments on here, I might think twice. I already have a Gibson LP Standard, so I don't want to take a step back in quality.

I was also looking at an LTD Viper 400 (the SG shape) with the EMG pickups for a more metal type guitar.

I was then looking at one of the Ibanez artcore type guitars (not the actual artcore, but the one with the smaller body, can't remember the name)

I was then looking at a regular Ibanez RG series.

well, I was really looking at every guitar I could find/.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm looking at TONS of things for a number 2, Les Pauls, SGs, Jaguar, basically anything. I don't know yet, I'll know more by the end of summer if I can even swing one.

It's good to know about the faded. The V may be cool to. The Godin I have right now is fine,j ust doens't have any particular personality.

I don't mind the sound of your V though Stuff, how is it sitting down? I'd have seperate tone knobs though, instead of seperate volumes.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    uh, i'm not that small.......the neck is really long, sometimes i get confused when playing it as opposed to my others......i'll go for the 7th fret and realize it is the 12th cuz the neck is so long.....don't think the head is that big

it is a pain to play sitting, if you read reviews online every single one says that......you have to put your right knee in the middle of the "V", otherwise it is impossible........but it is meant to rock out on, not play sitting anyhow
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • I'm looking at TONS of things for a number 2, Les Pauls, SGs, Jaguar, basically anything. I don't know yet, I'll know more by the end of summer if I can even swing one.

It's good to know about the faded. The V may be cool to. The Godin I have right now is fine,j ust doens't have any particular personality.

I don't mind the sound of your V though Stuff, how is it sitting down? I'd have seperate tone knobs though, instead of seperate volumes.

http://www.reverendguitars.com

Just got a daredevil 290. Flat out fantastic. Especially for the price.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I don't think the faded is all it's talked up to be. A good friend of mine has that guitar. It doesn't stay in tune, the frets are meh, the pickups are the worst and the intonation is awful. I have a teal SG, and i love it so much that i think sometimes i am too critical of others. That being said though i think that faded are very ordinary from what i have experienced.