Peavey Clasic 30 Tweed amp

THE BANDTHE BAND Posts: 83
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey folks just got home his my new sound. wondering if anyone eles has the classic 30 and if Celetion speaker is worth checking out to replace the stock speaker. Great tour it's been this year! Hope all is well!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    THE BAND wrote:
    Hey folks just got home his my new sound. wondering if anyone eles has the classic 30 and if Celetion speaker is worth checking out to replace the stock speaker. Great tour it's been this year! Hope all is well!
    i dont know about that partictular amp, but my fender supersonic 112 has a celestion classic 30 in it and i love it.
    btw, you should definately try out the fender supersonic 112, its amazing
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Get a vintage 30
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Get a vintage 30

I 2nd this

I have it in my amp...my amp has 2 models...1 with a regular celestion and the other with a vintage 30, the vintage 30 allows the overdrive to be much smoother and the clean...well...the clean to sound, AMAZING..haha but thats just my amp

the Peavey Classic 30 is a nice amp, im in love with the delta blues though
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • the classic 30's are great amps for the price. i don't own one, but i have played a few of them. from what i have read, you should definately change the speaker and the tubes though. although i did read that they upgraded the stock tubes in the new models. if the amp is new, try just replacing the speaker first. if the amp is used, change the tubes and the speaker. a greenback speaker would be my choice, but i can't argue against the vintage 30 either. i have heard from numerous people that the jj tubes sound real nice in that amp. hope this helps!
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Classic-30 . . . we're talking PEAVEY Amps here.

I have many amps: Fenders, Marshall's, Mesa Boogies, various Custom-Shop amps, and a Peavey Classic-50 4x10 (which is basically the 50-Watt version of the Peavey Classic-30). The older tweed versions of these look like some of the old tweed Fender Amps (mine looks like a 4x10 Bassman). The new ones look a little different (not as vintage looking with that front end), but they have an effects loop (good thing - wish mine had one).

The Classic-30 is a nice amp - it runs on 4-EL84's, and it's quite versatile - you can achieve very nice rock and blues tones, yet you can push it and get some fairly heavy tones if desired (I think it's probably the best "All Around" Peavey amp). I know a guy in an Allman Bros tribute band that uses one exclusively - he always runs straight into the front end of the amp (he just adjusts everything with the amps controls between each song - doesn't use any effects), and he always sounds great.
    I'd recommend that you switch the tubes - GT Groove Tubes, Ruby's, Svetlana, Tungsol or even better quality Mesa or Mullard tubes (the Mesa Boogie Lonestar amp runs EL84's, and it's a really great versatile amp). There's even a tube socket adaptor out there called a Yellowjacket that allows people with other tubes (6L6's or EL34's) to use EL84's, so yeah those EL84's have a pretty nice sound - And different tubes do make a big difference!!!

If you're thinking about changing the speakers, make sure you match the OHMs of the amp & speaker because you could damage the amp if the OHM rating isn't matched correctly (I think it's interchangeable between 8 & 16 OHM for this amp).
    Another thing to look at - the Celestion G12 "Vintage-30" 12" Speaker is a 60-watt speaker (one of my Favorite speakers). The Celestion G12M-25 Greenback 12" Speaker is a 25-watt speaker. Make sure the speaker you choose fits the amps power rating.
    Just match everything up, and remember that you can check anything that you're thinking about doing over with your local amp repair shop - generally they won't steer you wrong - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • I 2nd this

I have it in my amp...my amp has 2 models...1 with a regular celestion and the other with a vintage 30, the vintage 30 allows the overdrive to be much smoother and the clean...well...the clean to sound, AMAZING..haha but thats just my amp

the Peavey Classic 30 is a nice amp, im in love with the delta blues though

Get an aged vintage 30 at that!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Get an aged vintage 30 at that!
    what year was the v-30 introduced? definately in the 90's. the greenbacks have been around since the 60's i believe. get an aged greenback!! but i guess an older v-30 would be better then a new one, although they have not completely matured, if you will, yet.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    *OKAY, HERE'S THE SCOOP*

The Celestion G12 Vintage-30 Speaker was introduced in the mid-80's (I really like these). The Celestion G12M (Greenback) Speaker was introduced in the 60's (also a nice choice).

Celestion now make these:
    "Heritage Series G12M" & "Heritage Series G12H."
    These were made in case you want a vintage "Vintage30" but can't actually find one, or afford one (so they say). I know these cost a bit more $$ than a normal Greenback. The Heritage G12H has a bit of a heavier magnet in it than the Heritage G12M (if you're unsure, bigger magnets in speakers are better).

However, I might suggest looking into "Tone Tubby" Speakers - They use a hemp-cone instead of a paper-cone, and because of this they do have an incredible warmth and clarity to them - and because of this warmth and clarity, lots of people use them.

Here's a short list of some people that use them:
    Eric Clapton, Billy Gibbons, Santana, Peter Buck of REM, Kirk Hammett of Metallica, Bob Wier of Grateful Dead, Chad Kroeger & Ryan Peake of Nickelback, John Fogerty, Henry Garza of Los Lonely Boys, Buddy Guy.

Anyhow, have fun - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • These amps are awesome! thanks for the help! I feel there the best amps for the price and give fender a run for the money especially when it comes to the overdrive channel mixed with a TS-9 Tube Screamer, Boss DS-1 or The Boss Super Overdrive.
  • I have the classic 50 half stack...yeah the frickin rock
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .