For anyone who cares:

samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SCHECTER-Telecaster-PETE-TOWNSHEND-model-THE-WHO_W0QQitemZ280037078638QQihZ018QQcategoryZ121166QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Everybody knows it was the coolest of Ed's guitars.

I'd buy it but I've got one from '85 so I don't need another one. I also have a red one from '95 so I don't need another one. I don't need another one, do I? I might need another one. What if I don't bid on it and then it turns out I needed another one? What then? I'd better start bidding, I think I need another one.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    in addition to not being a Who fan, I don't think I'd care for it. I used to have a standard telecaster (with the single coils) and I didn't like it at all....awkward neck and non-contoured body. very primitive feeling when compared to a Stratocaster or a Gibson. don't know how one would sound with humbuckers. I thought Townsend played mostly SGs?

somebody had an SG on ebay about a month ago that Townsend supposedly owned and threw off stage in the 70s. but the neck had been broken (by Townsend) and then repaired and the guy wanted $15000 for it.
  • I want the gold one. Ed has had a lot of cool guitars. I like the Mosrite Ramone Sig, the gold schecter, and the black sparkle tele best.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    in addition to not being a Who fan, I don't think I'd care for it. I used to have a standard telecaster (with the single coils) and I didn't like it at all....awkward neck and non-contoured body. very primitive feeling when compared to a Stratocaster or a Gibson. don't know how one would sound with humbuckers. I thought Townsend played mostly SGs?

somebody had an SG on ebay about a month ago that Townsend supposedly owned and threw off stage in the 70s. but the neck had been broken (by Townsend) and then repaired and the guy wanted $15000 for it.

it was HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely for that because townshend's tech's would allways retrieve guitars immediately after they were thrown or destroyed to salvage the electronics, and anything useable. Im sure townshend knows exactly what, and how many guitars are in somebody elses possesion. Not to mention the Who was a fairly poor band during the early 70's due to the destruction of equipment night after night, and shotty contracts.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    it was HIGHLY, HIGHLY unlikely for that because townshend's tech's would allways retrieve guitars immediately after they were thrown or destroyed to salvage the electronics, and anything useable. Im sure townshend knows exactly what, and how many guitars are in somebody elses possesion. Not to mention the Who was a fairly poor band during the early 70's due to the destruction of equipment night after night, and shotty contracts.

My old boss toured with the Who in the 70s, and had a wall colllage made from parts of guitars that Pete had smashed :)

Is the ebay fiddle an original PT, or one of the newer improt models?
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861

I don't know enough about. I do remember the guy's story though that when Townsend threw it off stage, the broke part hit him in the neck and required several stiches. he did say in the listing that Townsend's people approached him for the guitar and he told them no. he said he told them that if they physically took it from him, he would sue the band for medical injuries and said they then left him alone.

again, I don't know if it's true or not, I just remember seeing it about a month ago. from what I remember, it was a standard red SG with a repaired broken neck. he had a picture from the concert of Townsend playing the guitar (if it was THAT guitar).

but again, I'm just passing that info along. no way would I even consider paying that for a repaired guitar. now for a Hendrix or SRV guitar, yeah, I'd try to get the money up somehow.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Is the ebay fiddle an original PT, or one of the newer improt models?

Looking at the Fender-shaped headstock, I'd say it's the real deal.