Acoustic Guitar Question

corycory Posts: 736
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
High end Taylor vs. Martin.

I don't have specific models on either, but once you reach a certain dollar level, the differences are cosmetics generally.

I had an Ibanez AW edition but just recently broke the headstock in half when I dropped it because I am, in fact, an asshole. It's time for another guitar.

Which brand do you guys prefer if you could have one or the other?

I'll also point out that my area is kind of limited on the models you can choose from. I really don't have time to drive to Nashville and I avoid ever going to Memphis.
Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• martin. i like the 00-000 series.
    i find taylors 'feminine' for some reason.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • I tend to play my Taylor a lot. I love the neck on it. It's a little slimmer than on Martins.
    I've been plugging mine in and I like the pickup and preamp system in my Taylor, too.

As a very general rule of thumb,,,,,, both are great guitars.
    It used to be Martins were more bassey and Taylor had more treble, but Taylor has so many models now that it's become a matter of tryng them both out.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Dude, if you have to choose between Taylor of Martin get a Taylor - they play better and sound better than Martin. Taylor has an articulation and presence about them that Martin just doesn't have (read my reply to the 414 Taylor question a few threads down). And I'd say don't bother about going to Nashville to buy a guitar - I went through there on tour a few months back, and there was only 1 music store in the downtown area - not worth it.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Just felt I too would recommend a Taylor. But that's simply cause I have one! And I truely believe God Himself crafted the guitar, its just so beautiful!!

But as Whos said they are both fantastic guitars.. either choice will always be a good one and I doubt you'll regret it! Good luck!
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • I only had the pleasure of playing a Martin 000-18 once and I absolutely loved it. Would love to get me one of those.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Dude, if you have to choose between Taylor of Martin get a Taylor - they play better and sound better than Martin. Taylor has an articulation and presence about them that Martin just doesn't have (read my reply to the 414 Taylor question a few threads down). And I'd say don't bother about going to Nashville to buy a guitar - I went through there on tour a few months back, and there was only 1 music store in the downtown area - not worth it.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

Dude, Gibson has a huge store in the Opry Mills mall with some cool shit.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • corycory Posts: 736
    Thanks for the info everybody. Now, all I have to do is sell one of my children and I'll have that Taylor in no time :D
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?