I hate wah-wah pedals! Any help please!

sonnysonny Posts: 132
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I seriously have bought (3) 535q's probably in the last 2 years and I don't even use them that much....... i have one on my pedalboard right now and sometimes even when I put my foot on it (without engaging it), the signal cuts out and it crackles (i am assume this is the pot). i mean i have played a few shows where i have lost signal by stepping on it and then i struggling with it, kicking it, hoping that my signal will come back.......any suggestions? do i look for a different wah? HELP PLEASE!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The crackling is probably coming from a dirty pot. I had this happen to my old wah. THe signal cutting out is probably a shitty switch or input on the wah. Mine did this too.

I was using a Snarling Dogs wah, and the whole thing just basically fell apart after 3 years of heavy use.

I have a Teese RMC Wizard Wah on order. Geoffery Teese makes amazing wahs. They're all handbuilt with only the best parts and he gives you a 5 year warranty. I think I paid $175 for mine.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If you're not engaging the pedal it can't be the pot. Scratchiness is definately the pot it can be cleaned with a little tuner cleaner and lube, but if it is cutting out altoegther it likely could be the input or output jacks being loose and shorting your signal. This happens a lot with wahs when the jacks work themselves loose, my buddies used to have problems with people kicking it because there was no stage to protect things and he just had a wah. You could go with optical (switchless/potless) circuits like a Morley but those tend to have a shrill high end. I have a bad horsie I've used for about oh 8 or 9 years without a flinch of an issue, but I prefer the tone of the aformentioned RMC's and maybe the Fulltones. Maybe try tightening the jack sockets first and see if that works, then get you a small can of electronic tuner (potentiometer) cleaner and lube. should do you wonders. If that still dosen't work it could be a crappy switch. you can get a good solid carling switch for pretty cheap and just soldier it up, it's not to difficult.

If that dosen't work, take the thing out of the chain and look for a different design.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 132
    I have a Teese RMC Wizard Wah on order. Geoffery Teese makes amazing wahs. They're all handbuilt with only the best parts and he gives you a 5 year warranty. I think I paid $175 for mine.

i have heard a lot of good things about Teese wahs. $175? I have always seen them highly in price than that. Can i ask where you bought from? From his website?
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    BinFrog wrote:

ha ha, I didn't even think about electronic modeling wah, that's probably perfect. no pot, no switch.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ha ha, I didn't even think about electronic modeling wah, that's probably perfect. no pot, no switch.

I've had mine for probably 3-4 years and have no regrets. It's perfect.
    BinFrog wrote:

ah yeah.......i actually bought one of those......and kept it for about 1 day....... didn't like it.....
    ah yeah.......i actually bought one of those......and kept it for about 1 day....... didn't like it.....

Any particular reason, or did you not have the patience to learn how to use one?
    BinFrog wrote:
    Any particular reason, or did you not have the patience to learn how to use one?

i didn't like the fact that if you rocked the wah back (not forward), there was a switch (for what, I don't remember).... i would always hit that.....

i also didn't really care for the sounds that the pedal was producing..... to each their own, i guess.
  • i have heard a lot of good things about Teese wahs. $175? I have always seen them highly in price than that. Can i ask where you bought from? From his website?

Mine is an entry level wah, but it's still supposed to high end compared to most things out there. Some of the wahs are more expensive, but totally worth it.

I'm getting mine from analogman.com, but it's a pretty serious backorder.

If you can a place that has them in stock, they're totally worth it.
    Mine is an entry level wah, but it's still supposed to high end compared to most things out there. Some of the wahs are more expensive, but totally worth it.

I'm getting mine from analogman.com, but it's a pretty serious backorder.

If you can a place that has them in stock, they're totally worth it.

just emailed him (analogman) and he said he should be getting some in in about a month.....
  • just emailed him (analogman) and he said he should be getting some in in about a month.....

Thank god, because I've been waiting awhile :)

It's expected with boutique makers though. Geoffrey had problems getting cases for his wahs, so he got backlogged quite a bit. He's only one man, so I'm sure he's working as fast as he can!