"Ten" music book

AmeliaGrohlAmeliaGrohl Posts: 6
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
My friend and I were playing "Alive" together the other day and we noticed the lyrics of the books are different! In the guitar book, it says
"I can’t remember anything to this very day except THE LOVE",
and mine, the bass book, says
"I can’t remember anything to this very day except THE LOOK". Why are they different?
And another question, how come the lyrics to Release aren't in the book? It says somehting about contact restrictions, but what does that mean?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Go to the Ten club page and look under songs. They've got the words to Release there. I'm glad they added that feature. It's great!
    Sold to Pearl Jam at birth!
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    The lyrics in that song book are abysmal. For Black, I can't remember how they go, but they royally F up the "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star, in somebody else's sky, but why can't it be mine" line.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Evenflow and Garden are not right as well.

They also couldn't print the lyrics to Release.
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    the pictures in that tab book are great also
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • i'm not exactly sure why the guitar book is so lousy and the bass book isnt ... maybe the bass tab has some bum lyrics too, but they're all over the guitar version ...

also the bass book has a really nice little piece written by jeff ...

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    Evenflow is right, people just have problems playing it from the book. I have played it exactly as transcribed along with the music and it sounds fine.
  • there is a part in alive that is wrong also. it does not have the right part immediately after the 2nd chorus just before the slow breakdown.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • rickprickp Posts: 219
    Peatrical wrote:
    Evenflow is right, people just have problems playing it from the book. I have played it exactly as transcribed along with the music and it sounds fine.

Even Flow is definitely not right in that book.
  • Lost_Clay wrote:
    the pictures in that tab book are great also

yes they are!
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • I first got the "Ten" guitar tab book back in '95 or '96 and was totally excited but--when referring to the guitar parts--"Once" is wrong too...Parts to every song seem to be correct or at least sound similar but I don't think that any song is totally correct...maybe "Jeremy" and "Release" come closest. "Garden" is totally wrong and "Even Flow" is shamefully wrong. "Oceans" is bad bad...the list goes on. The lyrics are consistently bad too...Stay away from this book.
  • I love Jeff's note! He has such awesome handwriting!
    I wish there were pictures in the bass book too:D... but it sucks though that they screwed up all the lyrics!
  • Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    The whole book is just terrible
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • there is a part in alive that is wrong also. it does not have the right part immediately after the 2nd chorus just before the slow breakdown.

ok. someone stole my copy of the Ten book along time ago, but I remember the way I learned to play Alive from that book (before Tab was all that prevelent on the net) ...

by wrong do you mean "not the way i've seen it in other tabs", "not the way I've seen either Stone or Mike play it" or just "it doesn't sound right" ?

Because the part your talking about, I think, was that little bridge piece, like a B bar chord at the 7th to an F#min in 2nd position, back to the B and then to like another F# played like a 1st position D chord, but barred, around the 5th or 6th fret? maybe with the 3rd hammerd on? (i don't have a guitar infront of me, in fact, i'm at work) ... but

point being, the SOUND was pretty accurate ...

i usualy play that (much easier) now as an F# at the 10th fret, then hammer on the D# on the low E string with it, then to the B chord in the same position (with no 3rd usualy) ...

... it's not hard to imagine Stone playing it one way, and Mike playing the other, infact they would harmonize quite nicely ... how do we know it is "wrong" ?

just curious.

also ...
    "Garden" is totally wrong...

at least, the picking at the begining seems pretty accurate to me ...

although I know a good few of the tabs in that book are tabbed in standard tuning, when apparently the band is playing in alternates ... (ie. Oceans specificaly, but maybe stone's guitar in Evenflow? and Deep) ...

fun discussion ... I'm just curious how people get to the point of knowing tab is flat out wrong ... besides the obvious of hearing a glaring error in the tab (probably a misprint, typo) ...

???
  • at least, the picking at the begining seems pretty accurate to me ...

although I know a good few of the tabs in that book are tabbed in standard tuning, when apparently the band is playing in alternates ... (ie. Oceans specificaly, but maybe stone's guitar in Evenflow? and Deep) ...

fun discussion ... I'm just curious how people get to the point of knowing tab is flat out wrong ... besides the obvious of hearing a glaring error in the tab (probably a misprint, typo) ...

???

The picking is close but I have an old guitar world (hendrix on the cover...'92) that has Stone explaining some riffs. Garden is one of them and he plays the picking part up on the 5th and 7th frets. Has the tab too. Even Flow is another one and that is in Open D (D,A,D,F#,A,D) along with Oceans. Once is there too and that is rooted at the 5th fret too. All of these are inconsistent with what the book has. I think sometimes the tab is flat out wrong and other times it's somewhat accurate...Obviously I didn't write the music but you just know sometimes. Good discussion.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    Oceans always sound like someone's strumming open tuned chords on all the live versions.
  • The picking is close but I have an old guitar world (hendrix on the cover...'92) that has Stone explaining some riffs. Garden is one of them and he plays the picking part up on the 5th and 7th frets. Has the tab too. Even Flow is another one and that is in Open D (D,A,D,F#,A,D) along with Oceans. Once is there too and that is rooted at the 5th fret too. All of these are inconsistent with what the book has. I think sometimes the tab is flat out wrong and other times it's somewhat accurate...Obviously I didn't write the music but you just know sometimes. Good discussion.
    right on.
    that's what i figured.

i guess we just have to remember when criticizing that it's not like the guys that tabbed this (nor any tab book writer for that matter) ... it's not like they sat down with stone and mike and were like ... "so, for garden, when you start appregiating that D7 chord, are you down at the 1st position or are you baring it up on 5?" ... fuck no they don't ... they listen to the record, not unlike people used to do before tab, and wrote out what they heard, after tryin to play along, i'm sure ...

now, could they have at least gotten the open tuning pieces right? yeah probably. But maybe they thought your average user of the Ten book would prefer to just be able to play along standard ... i mean how many of us want to tune a guitar completely off ... requiring new strings, and a new setup?

ok, maybe WE would ... but your average tab user is between 13 and 23, right?

BTW -- you think you could scan and post that GW article with the tab and chat? would be interesting ... i remember the issue you're talking about ... stone was in like a yellow shirt with a ball cap or some such ? from like '93 or '92? I had a cut out of a little image of it on my wall as a kid ... never saw the actual article though.

hmm.
    thanks
    :)
  • right on.
    that's what i figured.

i guess we just have to remember when criticizing that it's not like the guys that tabbed this (nor any tab book writer for that matter) ... it's not like they sat down with stone and mike and were like ... "so, for garden, when you start appregiating that D7 chord, are you down at the 1st position or are you baring it up on 5?" ... fuck no they don't ... they listen to the record, not unlike people used to do before tab, and wrote out what they heard, after tryin to play along, i'm sure ...

now, could they have at least gotten the open tuning pieces right? yeah probably. But maybe they thought your average user of the Ten book would prefer to just be able to play along standard ... i mean how many of us want to tune a guitar completely off ... requiring new strings, and a new setup?

ok, maybe WE would ... but your average tab user is between 13 and 23, right?

BTW -- you think you could scan and post that GW article with the tab and chat? would be interesting ... i remember the issue you're talking about ... stone was in like a yellow shirt with a ball cap or some such ? from like '93 or '92? I had a cut out of a little image of it on my wall as a kid ... never saw the actual article though.

hmm.
    thanks
    :)
    Sure. I'll look for it tonight and shoot you an e-mail. Let me know where to send it...I'm at thepictureshow@msn.com
  • AliAli Posts: 2,621
    See,that's because Ed doesn't want ANYONE to know what he's singing.

Including his readers too.

A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    i don't know why i ever bought that book. i've never used it. flipped through it once and it was horrible.
  • FNYNKEZFNYNKEZ Posts: 75
    I hate Recording Methods books!!

Lousy layout, you have to change pages every few bars. The old Guitar Magazine books were so much better.

I find it easier to figure out PJ by listening to their live bootlegs (the guitars come through clearer than the studio records).

That or go to http://www.GiventoWail.com and get the tabs off of there.
    I never really cared about you
    I never really got to thinking about you
  • T-CaseT-Case Posts: 186
    rickp wrote:
    Even Flow is definitely not right in that book.
    Yeah i agree, ive played it as it is from the book, and it just doesnt sound right when you play along with the song, i think they give you the wrong tuning or something but it just doesnt sound right
    PJ at MSG in 2008! Mission Accomplished

The band all knows. We're too afraid to mention.
    Don't want to be part of Frank's luncheon.
    Lose weight. Be safe. Where's Mike McCready?
    My god he's been ate!
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    T-Case wrote:
    Yeah i agree, ive played it as it is from the book, and it just doesnt sound right when you play along with the song, i think they give you the wrong tuning or something but it just doesnt sound right

they give you standard, down a 1/2 step.