First show with band

So well it's my first show with my band, we've only been playing for around 4 or 5 months on and off, we just decided to take ourselves a little seriously and play a gig, just to see what's it's like up there.

Setlist:
1. Rearviewmirror (this one's so much fun to do)
2. Keep on rocking in the free world (the pearl jam version)
3. original composition (tired blood)
4. another OC
5. Dream on (aerosmith) (not sure about this)

BTW, i'm the bass player (yes i love jeff, i'm from india, but i don't think my life's complete without meeting him, love his basslines)
So do you have any advice with respect to playing/moving on stage/sound etc? Please go ahead.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sorry i don´t but wish you massive luck that everthing goes well for you guys;)
  • Good luck. You're going to have a lot of fun. I've been enlisted by a band of older guys (and girl) to play a show at the end of February. We've just started practising, and it's starting to come together already.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    1. What's your set up?
    --how good are you on tunning? Nothing more annoying, distracting and throw you off than tunning problems and feedback. If you can you might want to have a second bass available.

2. Stage presence. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Just keep in mind a couple of things.

- its your first stage performance and things can go wrong, thus, if you like jumping around, I'd wait until after the first song to make sure that everyone is relaxed and on track.

- the bass itself is pretty predominant on stage, I find it cool just to rock out in a very small area, with cool stances and occasional headbanging. I'll visit the drummer or meet the rhythm guitarist half way. I always let the lead guitarist and/or singer come to me. Simply because they are also the entertainment focus point of the audience so they do have to move around more frequently. Bonus, being a female, I like the maxicoat look.

3. Do you have any other role other than playing bass?
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    Have a good time... this will relay to the audience and be a big positive. If you are having fun... everyone else can have fun too.

Don't let mistakes bother you... you have to roll with the punches and Have a good time... Did I mention have a good time?

Pure makes a good point, do what you are comfortable with for moving on stage... stay relaxed and have a good time.
    There's No Code.
  • puremagic wrote:
    1. What's your set up?
    --how good are you on tunning? Nothing more annoying, distracting and throw you off than tunning problems and feedback. If you can you might want to have a second bass available.

2. Stage presence. Do what makes you feel comfortable. Just keep in mind a couple of things.

- its your first stage performance and things can go wrong, thus, if you like jumping around, I'd wait until after the first song to make sure that everyone is relaxed and on track.

- the bass itself is pretty predominant on stage, I find it cool just to rock out in a very small area, with cool stances and occasional headbanging. I'll visit the drummer or meet the rhythm guitarist half way. I always let the lead guitarist and/or singer come to me. Simply because they are also the entertainment focus point of the audience so they do have to move around more frequently. Bonus, being a female, I like the maxicoat look.

3. Do you have any other role other than playing bass?

I'm Ok on tuning, but i'm making sure that my bass is tuned to my guitarists, i might take a squire p-bass from a friend in case my bass just screws off completely. i wish i don't have to do that, that bass is tuned drop c

I've heard people say that i'm okay with the stage prescence thing, i'm only scared because i don't like people staring at me, i get nervous.

No, i can't sing so i don't do anything else in the band, just want to thank you guys for helping out.

P.S: is there any way i can meet jeff ever? i'm telling you i can not die without meeting him.
  • House53 wrote:
    Have a good time... this will relay to the audience and be a big positive. If you are having fun... everyone else can have fun too.

Don't let mistakes bother you... you have to roll with the punches and Have a good time... Did I mention have a good time?

Pure makes a good point, do what you are comfortable with for moving on stage... stay relaxed and have a good time.

Well the worst thing is my vocalist has almost completely lost his voice, i mean he can speak but hitting notes is difficult. god i hope he's okay to sing tommorow.
  • So, how did it go?
  • giusegiuse Posts: 1
    So well it's my first show with my band, we've only been playing for around 4 or 5 months on and off, we just decided to take ourselves a little seriously and play a gig, just to see what's it's like up there.

Setlist:
    1. Rearviewmirror (this one's so much fun to do)
    2. Keep on rocking in the free world (the pearl jam version)
    3. original composition (tired blood)
    4. another OC
    5. Dream on (aerosmith) (not sure about this)

BTW, i'm the bass player (yes i love jeff, i'm from india, but i don't think my life's complete without meeting him, love his basslines)
    So do you have any advice with respect to playing/moving on stage/sound etc? Please go ahead.

YA MAN WATCH IRON MAIDEN LIVE , THEY ARE AMAZING STAGE PRESENCE , EVERYONE CAN LEARN FROM THEM
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Get used to playing your instrument in front of people and hearing your band through monitors before you worry about making it look good. That's just my opinion...too much of today's "music" is all style and no substance. Worry less about posturing and being an entertainer, and more about being a musician :). If you really must develop your stage presence first, give up the bass and learn to juggle or something.

Good luck to you and your mates. Don't forget to have fun. Music should be fun...or at least...fun to express/share with others. Seriously though, the stage presence comes with experience. Some are natural's, but they are few and far between...and your performance dynamic will change over time and even as you progress through different bands if that's what you end up doing.
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    just make sure you get the musical part right, dont worry about how you look or how you act onstage
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo