New Guitarist Accessories

TroyTroy Posts: 12
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi all,

I have just recently purchased an electric guitar after about 10 years of playing acoustic only.

I am seeking information on what effects i should start thinking about purchasing. What effects do guitar players use the most? I understand that everyone has a different sound and preferances, I am simply seeking the advice of those who have been there before me.

A wah pedal seems to be the most obvious guitar effect to get my hands on. But what else are people into?

Cheers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• U-RU-R Posts: 223
    Troy wrote:
    Hi all,

I have just recently purchased an electric guitar after about 10 years of playing acoustic only.

I am seeking information on what effects i should start thinking about purchasing. What effects do guitar players use the most? I understand that everyone has a different sound and preferances, I am simply seeking the advice of those who have been there before me.

A wah pedal seems to be the most obvious guitar effect to get my hands on. But what else are people into?

Cheers

it's all up to you. i guess distortion/overdrive is the most obvious thing, and maybe an echo
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • U-R wrote:
    it's all up to you. i guess distortion/overdrive is the most obvious thing, and maybe an echo

Check out Delays & Fuzz boxes - you can use them together on on there own and they are loads of fun, or as U-R said an Echo unit.

Phasers are the dogs Love spuds too.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Don't do it!!! Don't get sucked into buying a ton of effects, and hide behind effects! Let your fingers do the talking.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Don't do it!!! Don't get sucked into buying a ton of effects, and hide behind effects! Let your fingers do the talking.

Hide? If you're hiding behind effects you're using the wrong ones.

Most beginners cannot begin to grasp the subtlety of effects especially compressors it takes a little while to understand everything. It's not supposed to cover your sound it's supposed to augment it. More often than not modulations are overused to completely misused to just sounding like crap. Each effect should be treated as a somewhat new instrument, especially wah. In general, it depends on what you want to do, you may need effects you may not it's essentially personal preference and much depends on your amp, guitar and speaker choices and the tone you are looking for. Outboard effects devices are a tweak to your overall tone, thusly you can spend years (many have) and countless thousands finding even the right capacitors that don't mush up and or color the sound you want. I wouldn't give up on effects, just be prepared to do significant research and development. The only real limits are your wallet and your desire
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    I would stick with the natural overdrive of my amp for the rhythm playing. If you want a little more boost while soloing get an overdrive like TS-9. The effects that I enjoy more though is my wah-wah and my delay. Less is more I guess.
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • What style(s) have you been playing on acoustic these past ten years?
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Hide? If you're hiding behind effects you're using the wrong ones.

Most beginners cannot begin to grasp the subtlety of effects especially compressors it takes a little while to understand everything. It's not supposed to cover your sound it's supposed to augment it. More often than not modulations are overused to completely misused to just sounding like crap. Each effect should be treated as a somewhat new instrument, especially wah. In general, it depends on what you want to do, you may need effects you may not it's essentially personal preference and much depends on your amp, guitar and speaker choices and the tone you are looking for. Outboard effects devices are a tweak to your overall tone, thusly you can spend years (many have) and countless thousands finding even the right capacitors that don't mush up and or color the sound you want. I wouldn't give up on effects, just be prepared to do significant research and development. The only real limits are your wallet and your desire

:) Boy did you nail it, how about a sticky!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • TroyTroy Posts: 12
    What style(s) have you been playing on acoustic these past ten years?

What have I been playing? Some Neil Young tunes, Bruce Springsteen, which are mostly acoustic anywas, Pearl Jam of course. A lot of rock & roll standards. A lot of ACDC. Stock standard rock tunes basically.

It sounds like Echo and overdrive are popular. What about some of the more subtle effects such as Chorus? What about flangers and phasers?

Do people use EQ stomp boxes much?

I would like to avoid the money pit of buying a tone of stuff I dont end up using. It is a balance between experimentation in search of your sound and making sensible choices yes?
  • Troy wrote:
    It sounds like Echo and overdrive are popular. What about some of the more subtle effects such as Chorus? What about flangers and phasers?

Do people use EQ stomp boxes much?

I would like to avoid the money pit of buying a tone of stuff I dont end up using. It is a balance between experimentation in search of your sound and making sensible choices yes?

Overdrive or distortion is your first purchase, unless your amp already does that. For Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, and AC/DC, that's all you'll need.

If you want something to play with, a nice delay/echo pedal would be fun, but keep things simple enough. If you like to play leads or riffs, a wah can come in handy (although it takes a while to really learn a wah pedal).

I'd stay away from modulation for a while... things like Chorus, Flangers, and Phasers are often overused by beginners, and can make your stuff sound cheesy. Once you have a better idea of what you're doing, you can start looking at modulation for some color.

EQ pedals and compressors are usually the hardest, and most subtle, effects to use. They can add a lot when used properly, but your amp's onboard tone controls are all the EQ you need right now.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Yup,,, simple overdrive, like a ts-9. That'll give you a little grit, like everyone says, then you can expand from there.
    Work on your finger technique like vibrato and bending, and your picking technique. You'd be amazed at how many sounds you can get with your amp and an overdrive.

Either that or just go for this! :D:

http://guitargeek.com/rigs/img/f/fripp_robert_1999.gif
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I'd stay away from modulation for a while... things like Chorus, Flangers, and Phasers are often overused by beginners, and can make your stuff sound cheesy. Once you have a better idea of what you're doing, you can start looking at modulation for some color.

Perfectly spoken indeed!
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My first effect purchase was a wah, mainly because I had distortion and even chorus (I almost never ever used it) on my amp. You can get a ton of different sounds out of a wah if you play with them, one of the more expressive effects, and it can be tricky to match the right od/dist with various amplifiers. Some sound outstanding with tubes and terrible with solid state and the other way around. Essentially the ones that mean the most to your sound are exactly what mig said, OD/Dist. modulation should be used sparingly.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.