Drummers...please read

deadhead321deadhead321 Posts: 66
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a Cosmic Percussion 4-piece...tom and floor tom along with snare and bassdrum...Zildjin ZBTs...crash, ride, china.

i am thinking about adding on to my set this summer...wanted to know what you guys thought would be the best way to go. I was thinking another Tom and possibly another symbol like a crash or something else.

does anybody have any suggestions for what to get?

also.....i have not seen much of Cosmic Percussion in my local shops...so what brand of drum should i look for?!
Bonnaroo -- 2008
MSG II -- 2008
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    Do you want to play double bass? a Dbl pedal would be like "adding another drum"

Maybe another crash? a china cymbal?

here's another suggestion:

I know not everyone can afford pro gear, but if you plan on playing for awhile, start buying higher quality cymbals one at a time as you can afford them. Start with some decent Hihats. Sabian's AA-AAX line is mid-priced and sound awesome.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • What kind of music do you normally play? If it's jazz, blues, or any type of alt/garage/pop rock, I would suggest adding cymbals or alternative percussion to get some different sonic textures. If you play progressive rock or metal, then adding another tom-tom or other drums may be the way to go.

If you only have 1 crash, then I would recommend adding another crash. I play hard rock/alt rock, so I typically use bigger crash cymbals in order to get bigger projections in a live setting. I can't tolerate any crash smaller than an 18" on my set. Maybe also consider adding a splash. For something different, try Mike Portnoy's MaxStax by Sabian. It emits a short, percussive accent which allows for a different variety of rhythm and fill options.

If you are looking to add more drum pieces, I would suggest adding another floor tom first, as those are usually easiest to incorporate into an existing set, both a logistics and aesthetics standpoint. Or, as an alternative, try out a set of timbales or timbalitos.

I agree with Patrick about cymbal quality. When it comes to cymbals, you essentially get what you pay for. Intro brands like Zildjian ZBTs or Sabian B8s are ok if you are just practicing, but if you are looking to play some live shows or do some studio recording, then it would be ideal to upgrade to something like Sabian AAs. The difference is remarkable, especially when it comes to pieces which get used the most like hi-hats and ride.
  • InhumanInhuman Posts: 17
    Hey there. I haven't posted too much on these boards (though I constantly lurk around), but I figured I'd jump out of hiding to offer my two cents.

As others have said, if you're looking to grab some cymbals, look for some higher end stuff... Sabian AA, AAX, HH, HHX, Vault, Paragon; Zildjian A, A Custom, K, K Custom; Paiste Innovations, 2002, Dimensions, Signatures, etc. These are just some of the models and manufacturers out there, but usually those three companies will be the most common stocked in stores, as they are considered the 'big three' cymbal manufacturers. That doesn't mean everything else is crap, that is most certainly NOT the case. Some smaller companies such as Saluda, Meinl, UFIP, and many others also produce GREAT high-end cymbals. If their higher-end models produce the sounds you like, then go for 'em!

Once you get up to higher end stuff, none is really 'better' than the other, it all comes down to what YOU think sounds best. Sure, I or anyone else who knows their stuff can give you recommendations, but no one can really tell you what YOU LIKE. That's just something you have to experience for yourself. Honestly though, I don't see the point in grabbing tons of cheaper cymbals instead of a few really high quality ones. Sure, they're expensive as all hell, but remember, cymbals cannot be tuned. Their sound cannot be altered in any way without compromising the cymbal itself. A cheap cymbal will always be a cheap cymbal, any way you look at it.

As for drums themselves. Unless you're looking to replace your stock snare with one of higher quality, I wouldn't bother actually adding drums onto your kit. Instead, if you want to mess around with the drums themselves, do yourself a favour and invest in a much higher quality kit. If you choose to do so, KNOW WHAT YOU'RE BUYING. Do your homework. Play some kits of varying price points and know the differences between them. There is a HUGE difference between a Pearl Masterworks and a cheapo $200 kit. Bearing edges. Shell composition. Shell construction. Lugs, hoops, tom mounting hardware. And remember, although drums are a very expensive hobby, a good set will be of much higher build quality and will be worth alot more than a cheapo $200 one when it comes to selling it later on. Not to mention it will sound loads better than a cheaper kit ... but only if you know how to tune! Read the Drum Tuning Bible, as seen at http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/ if you think you need some help. Actually, read it anyways. Very useful even if you think you know how to tune.

Honestly though, entry-level kits such as that aren't really worth putting much money into outside of maybe some new heads, which I would HIGHLY recommend if you haven't done so already. I don't recommend upgrading the hardware. Most mid to semi-pro kits are offered with hardware packs anyways... and when you do upgrade to a higher end kit, going with this route usually will be way cheaper than buying individual stands beforehand.

As previously stated, I'd maybe go for a new snare if you don't have the cash for a whole kit, but feel like upgrading at least something. If you haven't been playing too long, and don't feel you're quite ready to spend thousands of dollars or don't think you're ready for one in terms of your playing technique, you may want to hold off for a bit on any upgrades. Maybe spend your money on a good teacher instead, if you haven't done so already. I really wouldn't worry about adding more toms or kicks or whatever to your existing kit though. If you can't play four drums, you sure as hell can't play fourteen. Remember, quality should ALWAYS come over quantity.

If there's anything else, feel free to ask. :)

~ Tony.