Band wanting to play outside of the Garage

jimi1970jimi1970 Posts: 36
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey All

I'm in a Canberra band filled with 17 year olds that want to hit up party's and clubs with our music, I'm just wanting to know who hit the small band scene and how the entered it. It would be great to know how a band can get out to perform without taking things too seriously.

Cheers

Andrew
"a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw, delivered him wings said look at me now"
we've all been given wings to fly, now all we have to do is soar
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jimi1970 wrote:
    Hey All

I'm in a Canberra band filled with 17 year olds that want to hit up party's and clubs with our music, I'm just wanting to know who hit the small band scene and how the entered it. It would be great to know how a band can get out to perform without taking things too seriously.

Cheers

Andrew

hit open mike nights, perhaps coffee houses. Being 17 you might not be able to play bars until you are all 18. put up a myspace site. talk to your friends that are having parties or even their older brothers and sisters in college. word of mouth works well but you also need to put some work in as well. you might not get paid for a little while but eventually you will.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • our band used to rehearse at a very cheap 'studio' who had links with local pubs. failing that, ive heard guys approach places directly, usually armed with a 'demo' tape(easier to create than you'd think). good luck!
    'we were coming close to being on lunchboxes'- e.v 2000
  • play anything you can. festivals, schools, parties, and work your ass off for shows. peopel will hardly ever come to you to play, you will have to go to them. i find a good place to debut at yoru age is to ask yoru schools (if you guys still attend) if you can set up in the largest common room (cafeteria, lounge, etc...). it sets up quite a stir at the school and a coupel hundred people will definately watch. Then just hit up every playable area near you guys...

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Making friends with people who are in bands already playing shows helps alot. Also make a demo, and bio and go to all ages clubs and see if they'll let you play. Throwing parties is always fun as well :)
    Walking is still honest