Want to play PJ

LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,418
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Learning to play guitar. My goal is to play pj. I need advice/help/suggestions.

Thank you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    send a PM to Kat and Sea saying that http://www.giventowail.com should be a sticky in this forum.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • http://www.giventowail.com is the best site to learn your PJ stuff. They have a lot of tips/hints as well to help beginners with the way PJ plays their stuff and which are the easiest songs.
    I would start with some chord progressions. Nothingman, Off He Goes, Small Town, and Immortality are all good beginner chord songs to learn.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    long road
    not for you
    small town

very easy songs to start with
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • sandozsandoz Posts: 166
    corduroy
    immortality
    gimme some truth
    i got shit
    all those yesterdays
  • sandoz wrote:
    corduroy
    immortality
    gimme some truth
    i got shit
    all those yesterdays
    all those are a little advanced for someone just starting to play (esp. the odd time sig. in All those Yesterdays).

Joe gave some good ones.

I'd start with Long Road and Small Town personally.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Oh and http://www.giventowail.com is the best site ever. Go there and find how to play those songs :cool: .

"Make our day"
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    The intro to Wishlist is as easy as she gets....:)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    cyberfret.com - it doesnt have PJ stuff but it does explain a lot of things with videos. but if you judt want PJ- giventowail.com
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The intro to Wishlist is as easy as she gets....:)

That, and the main riff to Sometimes. Sometimes is the song that lets me know that I can play like Ed, if only for a few seconds. :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    That, and the main riff to Sometimes. Sometimes is the song that lets me know that I can play like Ed, if only for a few seconds. :)
    Ed has a Bob Dylan complex..

terrible musician but brilliant writer.

Actually he's not nearly as bad as Dylan... Dylan makes Ed look like Hendrix.

"Make our day"
  • Ed has a Bob Dylan complex..

song writing is such a talent, yet most could never make money performing them. Coudl you imagine the GUYS (as in male specimens) who wrote like a virgin and girls just wanna have fun dressing up like madonna and cyndi lauper to perform them? if you write good songsd, learn to notate them, copyright them, and shop them around.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Banana-RamaBanana-Rama Posts: 108
    I know all the chords to Small Town but always have a hell of a time trying to play it. Wishlist and their cover of Last Kiss are fairly easy to learn.
    "If you should die before me, ask if you could bring a friend" - STP

"Frugality without creativity is deprivation." - Amy Dacyczyn

Proud Supporter of the CAROLINA HURRICANES. GO CANES GO!!!
  • song writing is such a talent, yet most could never make money performing them. Coudl you imagine the GUYS (as in male specimens) who wrote like a virgin and girls just wanna have fun dressing up like madonna and cyndi lauper to perform them? if you write good songsd, learn to notate them, copyright them, and shop them around.
    not sure what that has to do with Ed's guitar playing ;)

Actually i have the opinion that if you have the capibility to write great songs you need to get out there in your own band and play them.

Even if you're just a tambourine player you need to be involved personally..

it's just kind of soulless any other way.

Although i think cyndi lauper's band member was who wrote that song, which is cool :cool:

"Make our day"
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Ed has a Bob Dylan complex..

Idk, there's plenty of pj songs I play that I know Ed is playing while singing, and no matter how good I get down the chord progressions, its really hard to synch with the words. Ed may not be a virtuoso, but he's no slouch either. IMO.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
    Idk, there's plenty of pj songs I play that I know Ed is playing while singing, and no matter how good I get down the chord progressions, its really hard to synch with the words. Ed may not be a virtuoso, but he's no slouch either. IMO.

Yeah, I agree. He gets the job done as the third guitarist. Nothing spectacular, of course, but the spectacular guitar parts are saved for Stone and Mike.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Playing and singing is challenging. With basic chords its easier. Try playing and singing 'Day Tripper'.....
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Playing and singing is challenging. With basic chords its easier. Try playing and singing 'Day Tripper'.....

Day Tripper is easy to play and sing IMO

But the hardest PJ song I find to play Ed's part and sing is Rearview Mirror...what the fuck? how is this possible? The main riff isn't that hard but to sing with it, its kind of rediculous....by the end of the song, after the interlude, I go nuts and I can barely hit the power chords right, lol

I find Insignificance is hard to sing and play as well...the verse part, Ed is playing which its not hard but again its kind of hard to do both

some songs i find easy to play Ed's part and sing to are:
    Immortality, Corduroy, World Wide Suicide, Not For You, Lukin(i can scream that pretty well :) )...thats all i got off the top of my head

sometimes its not that hard to play guitar and sing for a song that Ed doesn't play guitar on...like DTE I find easy for me to sing with as well....

I've been working on the new album the past week...I got almost everything except Unemployable (I can't find my capo....i had it when i learned Marker, but idk), Army Reserve, and Inside Job....Army Reserve I got the basics but I haven't really tried, same with IJ...but I think this new record has some nice guitar work with it
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,418
    Thank you very much. I've been learning chords but my fingers are too
    short--thinking an electric/acoustic might be better.
  • Thank you very much. I've been learning chords but my fingers are too
    short--thinking an electric/acoustic might be better.
    Electric is easier to learn on, but if you started on acoustic stick with it! Electric will be a snap after that!

Just don't give up! Once you're over the hump there's no stopping you!

As for the gratuatous amount of exclamation points there i think they were nessecary.

"Make our day"
  • Idk, there's plenty of pj songs I play that I know Ed is playing while singing, and no matter how good I get down the chord progressions, its really hard to synch with the words. Ed may not be a virtuoso, but he's no slouch either. IMO.
    Oh i agree, i was just saying that to reinforce how writing is his strong suit obviously, like Dylan :)

"Make our day"
    I've never tried singing and playing guitar at the same time (I can't do either well at the moment), but it seems like it's the musical equivalent of patting your head and rubbing your stomach.
  • DOSW wrote:
    I've never tried singing and playing guitar at the same time (I can't do either well at the moment), but it seems like it's the musical equivalent of patting your head and rubbing your stomach.
    it seems like it, but once you get used to it it becomes as natural feeling as breathing.

"Make our day"
  • the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    DOSW wrote:
    Yeah, I agree. He gets the job done as the third guitarist. Nothing spectacular, of course, but the spectacular guitar parts are saved for Stone and Mike.

but ed seems to have the loudest amp.
  • DOSW wrote:

After you have done it for a while, it isn't difficult at all to play and sing. I'm not that great of a guitarist, but I can play and sing to any Pearl Jam song I've learned... except for a bit of Footsteps, WTF! The easiest song to play, but there's this one beat during the verse that always trips me up haha.