Starting my guitar lessons tomorrow: recomendations?

LauraPJLauraPJ Posts: 1,777
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Oh yeah, after years with this idea, I'll finally starting tomorrow. So.. wich
PJ songs would you recommend me for starting? Wich ones are the easiest? Thanks in advance guys :)
I'll ride the wave where it takes me
Buenos Aires, 11/25/2005
Buenos Aires, La Plata, 11/13/2011
Buenos Aires, 04/03/2013
Santiago, 04/06/2013
Santiago, 11/04/2015
Buenos Aires, La Plata, 11/07/2015
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LauraPJ wrote:
    Oh yeah, after years with this idea, I'll finally startin tomorrow. So.. wichs
    PJ songs would you recommend me for starting? Wich ones are the easiest? Thanks in advance guys :)

its nto song choice thats important, its learning the basics, anyone can play a song on guitar, but not anyone can play any song on guitar

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    no offence to Laura on this one.. but this question gets asked a lot on here.. and perhaps we should have a sticky with some basic songs to get started on...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=164334&highlight=easy+songs+guitar

i just did a search on "easy songs guitar" and search the Musicians & Gearheads forum and it comes up with lots of options!!! so the search facility does work ;):)

but try some of these ones laura... Not For You & Long Road are the 2 "easiest" in my opinion
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • LauraPJ wrote:
    Oh yeah, after years with this idea, I'll finally starting tomorrow. So.. wich

Im a beginnner guitarist to Laura and the way I started to learn was by playing some easy PJ songs . The ones I found to be the easiest were Not For You, Crown of Thorns, and the Its OK tag . I would recommend learning how to read tablature that way you can teach yourself how to play instead of having a teacher. thats all from me. good luck and rock on. sbb
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    no stairway.
  • Royals32Royals32 Posts: 160
    Laura, if you can track down the acoustic version of indifference with ben harper, the strumming pattern and chords are quite easy. Once you have basic chords down, this is a good starter. Don't get discouraged by the solos and extras in songs. I've been playing for 5 months now and it's a slow but sure process. The more you play the better you get.

And remember: HAVE FUN!!!
    #==(o )

You are not your job.
    You are not how much money you have in the bank.
    You are not the car you drive.
    You are not the contents of your wallet.
    You are not your fucking khakis.
  • LauraPJLauraPJ Posts: 1,777
    no offence to Laura on this one.. but this question gets asked a lot on here.. and perhaps we should have a sticky with some basic songs to get started on...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=164334&highlight=easy+songs+guitar

i just did a search on "easy songs guitar" and search the Musicians & Gearheads forum and it comes up with lots of options!!! so the search facility does work ;):)

but try some of these ones laura... Not For You & Long Road are the 2 "easiest" in my opinion
    It's ok, my mystake, I should have done a little research :) That idea of the sticky sounds great. And yes, other friends have told me that Long Road is an easy start (plus that's an amazing song). Thanks.
    m a beginnner guitarist to Laura and the way I started to learn was by playing some easy PJ songs . The ones I found to be the easiest were Not For You, Crown of Thorns, and the Its OK tag . I would recommend learning how to read tablature that way you can teach yourself how to play instead of having a teacher. thats all from me. good luck and rock on. sbb
    Wow, I'll feel so cool if could play Crown Of Thorns! See, I'm already a musician (I'm a piano teacher), so the idea of having a teacher is mainly 'cause of the technic.
    Royals32 wrote:
    Laura, if you can track down the acoustic version of indifference with ben harper, the strumming pattern and chords are quite easy. Once you have basic chords down, this is a good starter. Don't get discouraged by the solos and extras in songs. I've been playing for 5 months now and it's a slow but sure process. The more you play the better you get.

And remember: HAVE FUN!!!
    Really? I don't even thought about Indifference for starting, though I love that song, so this is good news. Yeap, I know is a slow process and I'll have to be patient, that's not a problem. And of course that I'll enjoy every phase of it! :)
    THANKS A LOT TO ALL OF YOU GUYS FOR THE ADVICE AND THE SUPPORT!
    Buenos Aires, 11/25/2005
    Buenos Aires, 04/03/2013
    Santiago, 04/06/2013
    Santiago, 11/04/2015
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Wishlist is pretty good for starting, and so is Sometimes. People say Elderly Woman is good too, but it's not one that I would personally recommend.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I'd tell your teacher you wanna skip past reading music and focus more on theory and scales and such. I think that helps way more.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Well, being a musician, you're way ahead!
    You already can probably read and know scales. Once you know the open chords, majors and minors,,, you have MOST of Pearl Jam!

I like Elderly Woman, it's pretty easy, and in 3 count instead of 4. You'll impress your teacher with that one!

Congrats on starting the guitar!

If you learn the notes at the frets on the low E and A strings, you have half the guitar because the high E is the same as the low E.
    Then the octaves of the E and A strings are two strings down, two frets up.
    The octaves of the D and G strings are two strings down and three frets up.
    Kind of a quick way to learn the fretboard. Then it'll be like a piano keyboard to you, and you'll see the genius behind whoever set that tuning up and you'll see so many ways to voice chords! A musician going TO guitar usually learns quite fast!

Have fun!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I like Elderly Woman, it's pretty easy, and in 3 count instead of 4. You'll impress your teacher with that one!

If you learn the notes at the frets on the low E and A strings, you have half the guitar because the high E is the same as the low E.
    Kind of a quick way to learn the fretboard. Then it'll be like a piano keyboard to you, and you'll see the genius behind whoever set that tuning up and you'll see so many ways to voice chords! A musician going TO guitar usually learns quite fast!

Have fun!

ha! I never sat down to figure it out, but I just did that in my head and it works!! haha, I feel like an idiot :p
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • LauraPJLauraPJ Posts: 1,777
    Well, being a musician, you're way ahead!
    You already can probably read and know scales. Once you know the open chords, majors and minors,,, you have MOST of Pearl Jam!

Have fun!
    Indeed, I'm ahead, with the theory part and having my fingers faster, that's an enormous advantage.
    Thanks a lot for all those advices, I'll keept that in mind :)
    I just came from the guitar shop, I bought the metronome-tuner-tone generator :D
    I'll post a pic of my guitar and amp soon
    Oh, and yes I'm having a lot of fun, I feel in the top of the world!
    Buenos Aires, 11/25/2005
    Buenos Aires, 04/03/2013
    Santiago, 04/06/2013
    Santiago, 11/04/2015
  • kl2kl2 Posts: 22
    Learn scales shapes from day 1 and the fretboard notes,wish i did,10 years on i decided i wanted to learn to shred,i only started playing so i could learn a few songs,here i am now playing most songs but the worst thing about playing is thinking when you reach your target your be satisfied,just like life theres always more to learn,never satisfied if you were youd prob stop playing i suppose