About learning guitar

mad22mad22 Posts: 82
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi guys, i wanted to ask you something. I started to play guitar 6 months ago. A friend of mine who has jazz band is teaching me. The thing is that i found really hard to identify notes by just hearing. Sometimes to tune my guitar, my friend plays a note, for example A and i have to tune that note on my guitar. But i don't seem to be able to hear correctly, i don't know. Is it just that 6 months isn't enought to do this, or i should be able to tune my guitar (by ear) already? How long did it take you? any advice to practice this?

cheers, Matias.-
Egos are left at the door, elitism is non-existant and we are all joining together for a common goal: to raise funds and awareness while living the awesome life of a Pearl Jam Fan.

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Many years later I can't play anything by ear. I even had to look up the tabs to Iron Man. Doesn't stop my enjoyment of playing guitar. I always measure my ability by does what comes out of the guitar match what I hear in my head.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • It makes it a lot easier when you start to identify what chord is played and in which tuning. you'll soon get a ear for identifying what is played in standard tuning and what is not. Then try to figure out the kind of chord. Power chord or open?

that'll will you make you better.