E.V studio mics of choice

mogmog Posts: 11
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
the answer is probably buried in here somewhere,

but i was wondering if anyone could reliably tell me what Eds vocal mics of choise are for studio recording, (especially for the second album)

i would hazard a guess at a nice vintage Neumann?

cheers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Blue Mic's in the studio, Audix OM's on tour is what I've heard. Of course this is just in general. They are probably fairly flexible too. I wouldn't be at all suprised to find a few neumans in there.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mogmog Posts: 11
    nice one

blue mics are first class :)
  • I would be surprised by the use of Blue mic's on the second album. They were a relatively new company then, without an established reputation. I'd be more inclined to believe a Neumann mic on Vs. Unfortunately, their studio mic selection is less-well known than their stage setup... I'd love to know, as well...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    I would be surprised by the use of Blue mic's on the second album. They were a relatively new company then, without an established reputation. I'd be more inclined to believe a Neumann mic on Vs. Unfortunately, their studio mic selection is less-well known than their stage setup... I'd love to know, as well...

Yeah, As commonplace as the U87 is in high end studios, and I know they have them all over the place where they record in Atlanta. Blue is just what I tend to read in various publications.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yeah, As commonplace as the U87 is in high end studios, and I know they have them all over the place where they record in Atlanta. Blue is just what I tend to read in various publications.

I just picked up a Blue Baby Bottle for my studio, and it is *amazing*. Very transparent, clean, clear... open, airy sound. I love this mic. It's not as warm as a vintage Neumann capsule, but it's so incredibly transparent, it just sounds like your voice with no coloration.
    I just picked up a Blue Baby Bottle for my studio, and it is *amazing*. Very transparent, clean, clear... open, airy sound. I love this mic. It's not as warm as a vintage Neumann capsule, but it's so incredibly transparent, it just sounds like your voice with no coloration.

Yeah I love them. Nice choice. Did you get the package with the Focusrite preamp with it?

I'm not sure if you can change the capsule on the baby bottle, but I know there are changeable capsule packages for the Bottle. Oh man, if anyone ever lets me be the purchaser of a studio......win the lottery paul win the lottery.

I'll get a couple of Blue Bottles to record in stereo, and leave them right next to my nice big Martin Logans or B&K's I'll use for just listening.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Yeah I love them. Nice choice. Did you get the package with the Focusrite preamp with it?

I'm not sure if you can change the capsule on the baby bottle, but I know there are changeable capsule packages for the Bottle. Oh man, if anyone ever lets me be the purchaser of a studio......win the lottery paul win the lottery.

I'll get a slew of Blue Bottles, and saddle them right next to my nice big Martin Logans or B&K's.

No, I already have pre's, and that particular preamp is just too specialized and limited. I am looking at getting this in the near future:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/188214/

A much better match for my studio. Then I'll have my PreSonus 8-channel pre, the 4 pre's on my Digi 002R, and the 4 Focusrite pre's for 16 channels at a time. Suddenly, I can live-track a full rock band.

The Baby Bottle is a fixed capsule, it's basically supposed to be the Bottle circuitry with the cardiod capsule only. I'd love to pick up a true Bottle some day, but *good god* they are expensive.

I'd also love a matched pair of AKG 414's and a few others... mics are my least-fully realized gear list.
    No, I already have pre's, and that particular preamp is just too specialized and limited. I am looking at getting this in the near future:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/188214/

A much better match for my studio. Then I'll have my PreSonus 8-channel pre, the 4 pre's on my Digi 002R, and the 4 Focusrite pre's for 16 channels at a time. Suddenly, I can live-track a full rock band.

The Baby Bottle is a fixed capsule, it's basically supposed to be the Bottle circuitry with the cardiod capsule only. I'd love to pick up a true Bottle some day, but *good god* they are expensive.

I'd also love a matched pair of AKG 414's and a few others... mics are my least-fully realized gear list.

yeah they are pricey but damn they look and sound good. I mostly dream on here anyway. My friends dad who does advertising work mainly I think and then a few jingles and songs what have you for other folks, uses a AT4060 that's pretty nice.

Doppler has a Focusrite (Liquid Channel) in one of the big rooms. yeah. that'd be fun to have too.

I'm sure you'd love to have a few royer ribbons at your disposal as well :D

you have what you need, and it sounds damn good, that's all that really matters, it's kind of nice that the knowledge exceeds the wallet and not the other way around. I hate being ignorant.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah they are pricey but damn they look and sound good. I mostly dream on here anyway. My friends dad who does advertising work mainly I think and then a few jingles and songs what have you for other folks, uses a AT4060 that's pretty nice.

Doppler has a Focusrite (Liquid Channel) in one of the big rooms. yeah. that'd be fun to have too.

I'm sure you'd love to have a few royer ribbons at your disposal as well :D

you have what you need, and it sounds damn good, that's all that really matters, it's kind of nice that the knowledge exceeds the wallet and not the other way around. I hate being ignorant.

There are too many studios out there with more money than know-how... and a few, like mine, where the gear list may not be long but the ability to use it makes that negligable.

That said... a few Royer ribbons, yes, with at least one matched pair, a handful of 57's, an ElectroVoice RE20, an Audix D6 and i5, Shure Beta 52 and a couple Beta 56's, definitely a pair of SM81's and a pair of Neumann KSM184's, three or four Sennheiser MD421's, and maybe a vintage U87. That's what, 7 or 8 grand? I got that in my penny jar, hell...
  • Anyone else notice Ed's vocals distorting right before Mike's big solo in Animal...?

I'd rather be with an... An-*Crackles*-imalllll

maybe its a clue!.. ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • mogmog Posts: 11
    distortion?

that what the kids want!, mind you you'd have to push the desk(Neve ??) pretty hard to distort.
    i dont know exactly what consoles PJ have used ( a picture i saw of them with B o'B in the studio suggests a NEVE of some description)i've used a Neve VR before and the compression on them is incredible.

i doubted that blue would have been used on the second album myself b ut i'm sure they would have cropped up later on

anyone come across SE microphones? the Gemini's are amazing. these are the troy from QOTSA is endorsing recently

used a range of SE mics last dec for a session including the Gemini which basically got used on just about everything

well worth checking out :)