Options

So I think I have too much guitar stuff...?

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
For being a college student and living in an apartment situation, I think I might have too much stuff. I have a 40W Traynor YCV40 1x12 combo, a Marshall TSL60 half-stack, and a 5W Epi Valve Jr. Combo (plus a Strat and LP and acoustic).

Now really, that's not that much stuff. Couple electrics, a few amps. But living in an apartment in college is not very conducive to "rocking out" so to speak. I'm really growing to like my Marshall, so should I ditch my Traynor? The cleans on the Marshall aren't exactly as clean as the Traynor, but I do have the 5W Epi that I could plug into my Marshall cab.

Just ranting here and looking for any kind of suggestion as to whether I might regret selling the Traynor even a week after I do it.
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'm a college student (though I'm at home) and I have a TON of gear. If space is the issue, is there a way you can keep some stuff at your parent's place? Honestly, I think you'd regret selling any of those. I won't sell my gear unless I never use it. You seem like you use your stuff. Try to store it somewhere, maybe keep one amp there, one at a buddy's (if you're in a band)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yeah, just take the traynor home next trip and store it for a while.
  • Options
    kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    If you want something versatile, small, and is low watt, I'd suggest this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-DA5-Portable-Amplifier-?sku=482065

It can run on batteries as well as a 9 volt adapter. For it's size, it can actually put out some db's. You can also adjust the wattage, so you can play at lower volumes without sacrificing the sound.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Novawind wrote:
    For being a college student and living in an apartment situation, I think I might have too much stuff. I have a 40W Traynor YCV40 1x12 combo, a Marshall TSL60 half-stack, and a 5W Epi Valve Jr. Combo (plus a Strat and LP and acoustic).

Now really, that's not that much stuff. Couple electrics, a few amps. But living in an apartment in college is not very conducive to "rocking out" so to speak. I'm really growing to like my Marshall, so should I ditch my Traynor? The cleans on the Marshall aren't exactly as clean as the Traynor, but I do have the 5W Epi that I could plug into my Marshall cab.

Just ranting here and looking for any kind of suggestion as to whether I might regret selling the Traynor even a week after I do it.
    Whatchoo talking about willis! College is very conducive to rocking out ;)

I get what you mean though, you may not have a big use for it right now, but personally, i would keep it. If you're a bit stuck for space can you take it home next trip or get someone to help you out.
  • Options
    ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    Naaa, that’s not much equipment . . .
    Besides, shouldn't you surround yourself with what you love. It's like an artist
    without any art in their home - you want to surround yourself with inspiration.
    Having different tonal pallets available at your beck and call is always conducive
    to creating, learning, and composition -- just keep an eye on your equipment.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Options
    Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Naaa, that’s not much equipment . . .
    Besides, shouldn't you surround yourself with what you love. It's like an artist
    without any art in their home - you want to surround yourself with inspiration.
    Having different tonal pallets available your beck and call is always conducive
    to creating, learning, and composition -- just keep an eye on your equipment.
    Good point Ian.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=67116

This might set your mind at rest. :D
  • Options
    Well that's just way overboard. :)

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    we just rearranged a good portion of our house today in preparation for making individual rooms for our kids. as such, what was formerly only my little music corner in the basement has become my studio/quasi-office/my workbench area.

barely enough room. i need to start creating some sort of shelf unit for my amps or something. they're big space killers.
  • Options
    Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=67116

This might set your mind at rest. :D
    Wow. Is that overkill or what. Who seriously needs that many effects in their chain???
  • Options
    I just redid my basement a couple nights ago in order to fit my amps, and few other guys' stuff PLUS drums. Maybe just reorganize. Don't sell anything you'd have second thoughts of losing...
  • Options
    I just redid my basement a couple nights ago in order to fit my amps, and few other guys' stuff PLUS drums.

and your 25 pedals...

oh boy, i did just go there...

i'll show my way out now ;)
  • Options
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    and your 25 pedals...

oh boy, i did just go there...

i'll show my way out now ;)
    I've slimmed my board down to just 15 pedals...the other ones are being sold to bandmates...so I guess they're still down there. HAH!
  • Options
    I've slimmed my board down to just 15 pedals...the other ones are being sold to bandmates...so I guess they're still down there. HAH!
    i knew you would get the joke. awesome :)
  • Options
    I don't know how 'd you feel about this, Nova, but maybe stick something in a closet or use some thing a table (for books or something...I used a bass amp as a desk for a little bit, maybe you could do the same for your cab?)
  • Options
    Unfortunately the desk in my room already takes up one wall completely. It's moderately cramped. I'm away for the summer so I'll have to move back in and see how it all fits before I decide to ditch anything (the Marshall stack is 99% staying I think)

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    Novawind wrote:
    Unfortunately the desk in my room already takes up one wall completely. It's moderately cramped. I'm away for the summer so I'll have to move back in and see how it all fits before I decide to ditch anything (the Marshall stack is 99% staying I think)
    Are you in the dorms or an apartment?
  • Options
    Apartment, and unfortunately right next to the office!

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    ACK! well....good luck, hahaha