possible marshall pickup

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
so I'm toying with the idea of a TSL60 head...

should I pull the trigger? $750 for a good condition Marshall head. It's big money...

Ian what's your opinion on the JCM2000 series (I'm gonna assume you've played on quite a few in the studio)
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    Novawind wrote:
    so I'm toying with the idea of a TSL60 head...

should I pull the trigger? $750 for a good condition Marshall head. It's big money...

Ian what's your opinion on the JCM2000 series (I'm gonna assume you've played on quite a few in the studio)
    - I like the JCM2000's, and the price is fine (sounds good - sounds like a Marshall).
    - I think there's one on E-bay for $700 right now + $50 shipping (so remember that you
    can always sell it for about that if it doesn't work out (probably won't loose much $$$).
    -Just understand that the JCM2000 TSL60 sounds a bit different from Marshall's TSL100.
    - I think the sound difference is because the EQ's are slightly different (and of coarse it
    only has 2 EL34's instead of the typical 4 EL34's - I like the TSL100 sound a little better).
    - My only complaint on the TSL60 is that I wish there were seperate EQ's for all channels
    (the crunch/lead on the TSL60 shares the same EQ - the TSL100 has all seperate EQ's).
    - Also, make sure the bias feed resistors are correct - I think the early amps were 220K
    instead of 5.6K (I think 5.6k sounds better) - and you may want to lower the value of
    the treble bleed caps on the OD channels (all JCM2000's can be a bit bright, especially if
    you're wanting to get that classic rock or especially that PJ McCready blues rock tone).
    - Other than the subtle tone differences in the JCM2000 series I like the TSL60 just fine.
    - You may want to play one before you buy, just so you get a feel (still a VERY LOUD amp).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Thanks for that, Ian. I saw someone demonstrating Slash's Sweet Child tone on a TSL601 on youtube (pretty well actually) and it with the 1960 cab I'll also pick up, it should sound even better. I think the solution to the EQ thing might just to get an EQ pedal, so I could set the amp EQ to one thing and then have the pedal EQ set to scoop or something like that.

Also, have you ever used one with an attenuator? I could do that as long as I have an "apartment situation" or until I find a suitable spot to jam in.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Trigger pulled. I'll post pics when it gets here.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    have you ever used one with an attenuator? I could do that as long as I have an "apartment situation" or until I find a suitable spot to jam in.
    Yeah I have, and yeah, you'll probably want to use an attenuator if you live in an apartment.
    As I said, it's a LOUD LOUD AMP - You'll just burn through tubes a lot faster with an attenuator.
    And no matter what anyone says, I still feel that you loose a bit of overall amp tone when you
    use an attenuator (you'll definitely want to get a rehersal space ASAP so you can open her up).
    I've no doubt an attenuator isn't the long term answer, which is why I'm going to work on joining a bad within this next year and finding a good rehearsal space. Thanks again (I basically just wanted you the professional telling me that it's a good solid amp). :)

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    I've no doubt an attenuator isn't the long term answer, which is why I'm going to work on joining a bad within this next year and finding a good rehearsal space. Thanks again (I basically just wanted you the professional telling me that it's a good solid amp). :)
    yeah, it's a fine amp - and if you make a few small mods (caps, resistors, Mercury Magnet tranny, etc), it'll probably suit your needs well for a very long time (depending on your needs) - and it also seems to take pedals fairly well - I don't recall any problems with the effects loop. I'd suggest you read up on some owners reviews if you haven't already: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Marshall/JCM-2000+TSL+60/10/1

I also like the new Marshall JVM series - these are easier in the channel switching department than the JCM2000 series (almost as good as the Mesa Boogie Road King - but to me the RK sounds way better and has much more control and versatility overall).