Options

Stratocaster- what's the big deal?

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm not knockin' in the Strat here, it's a fantastic guitar, but can someone tell me if they think it's WORTH saving and waiting that much longer to get an American strat as opposed to a Mexican one? The last American one I played was my dad's about... 2 years ago. I played a mexican one about two weeks ago so I don't really have much thought in comparison of sound between the two.
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    anymore.... probably just the labor costs.....

USA models used to get much better wood, better appointments, better QC, etc.

You will find good and bad with both.... Your experiences may vary.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If you don't know or care it's not worth it. There are huge minute differences between the different models, some make tremendous differences others don't. People pay in the $2500's to well over 5 grand to get their perfect realization of that design. Lots of pros take mexicans on the road with them so they don't have all that risk of theft or breakage out there on the road.

Coming at it from your point of view, I'd get a mexican in the color you want and then upgrade it later with a few features you would more like to have.

You really have to play for a while and find out why they change what they change to know why one is 300 and the other is 800+. Other than paying them lip service, you won't really see or hear a great deal of difference until you play a mexican standard for a while and then play an american series.

One of the best deals in guitars out there is the Jimmy Vaughn MIM Stratocaster.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    If you don't know or care it's not worth it. There are huge minute differences between the different models, some make tremendous differences others don't. People pay in the $2500's to well over 5 grand to get their perfect realization of that design. Lots of pros take mexicans on the road with them so they don't have all that risk of theft or breakage out there on the road.

Coming at it from your point of view, I'd get a mexican in the color you want and then upgrade it later with a few features you would more like to have.

You really have to play for a while and find out why they change what they change to know why one is 300 and the other is 800+. Other than paying them lip service, you won't really see or hear a great deal of difference until you play a mexican standard for a while and then play an american series.

One of the best deals in guitars out there is the Jimmy Vaughn MIM Stratocaster.

Paco, have you noticed that the MIJ and MIM tele's just don't seem to play as good as the american tele's, but the strats seem descent at each level?

My buddy played about 20 different teles and strats at three different stores one day (which I have to plug them in too), and we both thought the same thing.

I'm not slamming anything, and honestly I'm never comfortable playing a strat, but its something we noticed, wondered what your experience was. Maybe I'm just on crack that day!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I own a sunburst Mexican Fat Strat...and it sounds fine for me :o

I've been playing for only about 8 months though...lol.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Novawind wrote:
    I'm not knockin' in the Strat here, it's a fantastic guitar, but can someone tell me if they think it's WORTH saving and waiting that much longer to get an American strat as opposed to a Mexican one? The last American one I played was my dad's about... 2 years ago. I played a mexican one about two weeks ago so I don't really have much thought in comparison of sound between the two.
    if you go for a strat, and are willing to spend decent money, go with an older model (NOT a reissue) in the 1960-1970 era. I used to have a '73 Rosewood. Played beautiful, but I sold it because I needed the money. Im just happy with my Gibson J45 S.J. acoustic for now...

all4
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Paco, have you noticed that the MIJ and MIM tele's just don't seem to play as good as the american tele's, but the strats seem descent at each level?

My buddy played about 20 different teles and strats at three different stores one day (which I have to plug them in too), and we both thought the same thing.

I'm not slamming anything, and honestly I'm never comfortable playing a strat, but its something we noticed, wondered what your experience was. Maybe I'm just on crack that day!

actually yeah, that is generally the case especially down to the affinities. I'm not sure exactly why, but that does seem to be the case.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    actually yeah, that is generally the case especially down to the affinities. I'm not sure exactly why, but that does seem to be the case.

Just crazy thats for sure.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    I was planning on saving for an American strat and I played a bunch of different. None of them impressed me in the slightest. I was actually disapointed. I don't think that 2006 is a great year for American Standards.

I'm probably just going to buy a Mexican one later on this year, throw some grovers on it, maybe some lace sensors and a better bridge.

It'll be a great guitar imo.
  • Options
    yeah, if you're going to get a strat, get one that's made before 1966. I wouldn't advise getting one made in the 70's because Leo Fender himself said the guitars made during that time were the worst quality guitars they ever built.
    7/16/06 7/18/06
  • Options
    I was planning on saving for an American strat and I played a bunch of different. None of them impressed me in the slightest. I was actually disapointed. I don't think that 2006 is a great year for American Standards.

This was the same in 2004. Can you see the similarity? they spend thier quality hours on the "diamond series" or "50th anniversary" editions. All the good wood, necks, and labour goes into these, and the standards kind of get shafted. If you wait untill about mid year the production of the special editions will cease, and then the priority will go back into the american series (standard/deluxe)

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Options
    This was the same in 2004. Can you see the similarity? they spend thier quality hours on the "diamond series" or "50th anniversary" editions. All the good wood, necks, and labour goes into these, and the standards kind of get shafted. If you wait untill about mid year the production of the special editions will cease, and then the priority will go back into the american series (standard/deluxe)

harrison

Thanks! You seem to know a lot about strats!

It's going to have to wait until the summer anyways. I'll be working 45 hours a week and I'll have a nice, big income tax refund in my bank account. I'll make certain that the strats that are in stock are fresh and new before I try them.

The ones out at this point are total crap. My roomates Mexican that hasn't been set up in years plays better.
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I'm not sure exactly when my Strat was made, but I think its a 2004 or 2005 American Standard, and I think its perfect!
  • Options
    Thanks! You seem to know a lot about strats!

It's going to have to wait until the summer anyways. I'll be working 45 hours a week and I'll have a nice, big income tax refund in my bank account. I'll make certain that the strats that are in stock are fresh and new before I try them.

The ones out at this point are total crap. My roomates Mexican that hasn't been set up in years plays better.

did you get the tremelo system fixed?

harrison

ps: i know EVERYTHING about strats, lol

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Options
    did you get the tremelo system fixed?

harrison

ps: i know EVERYTHING about strats, lol

Hah, yeah it took some work, but it's flush now. You would believe how dried out the fingerboard was. I was taking dirt off of it for a good hour. I used some lemon oil and it's gone from being light brown to normal again.
  • Options
    Hah, yeah it took some work, but it's flush now. You would believe how dried out the fingerboard was. I was taking dirt off of it for a good hour. I used some lemon oil and it's gone from being light brown to normal again.

i never clean my fretboard...i ought too, you can see all the grease and stuff (maple fretboard) a bit of guitar polish shoudl do it up, but i woudl have to take all the strings off for that...

harrison

• Options
    NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Edit: changed to private message.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1